EJR Beads

Author Topic: Heads Again - Patina  (Read 6883 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Heads Again - Patina
« on: March 11, 2015, 06:15:08 PM »
Hi,
I've been working on painting a couple of my heads with the Swellegant metal paints for some days now - you need at least 3 coats it seems.
And then when you're ready you paint one last coat and before it dries, immediately paint on the patina you want.

Well it's taken me a while to get to the patina part, but today I managed it, and here they are.

I like them, but I wanted more colour.

What do you think?

FranOnTheEdge

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
Re: Heads Again - Patina
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 10:20:51 PM »
I like the way the patina makes them look. I must try some swellegant sometime ;-) Nice.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 11:31:35 AM »
Thanks Jon,
I left it to develop further overnight, and it has but only a little. I guess I need to add some more, maybe.
You're supposed to stop the reaction with water...  But I'm kind of afraid that will wash off what I've already got, it seems so delicate.
I know that if it actually has bonded to the metal coatings then it won't wash off, it just feels so ephemeral.

I give in, I've added some more patina.
If all my attempts go like this then I'm going to run out of patinas well before I run out of anything else.

I think when I get to the turtles I'll do those in Brass, these faces are done in Bronze.
FranOnTheEdge

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »
Fran, I think they look great the way they are.  I love the effect.  I must try that stuff one of these days too.  I've been making some polymer faces lately to use as moulds for ceramic beads, but your's are so much better!!

Mel  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 08:24:58 PM »
Oh I don't believe that one Mel.  Can you post pics of your polymer faces?  I wanna see what you've got.  I bet yours are better for jewelry, mine are too big and heavy - well these 2 are anyway
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 11:09:55 PM »
The face on the left is quite scary, unsettling - looks like a mummy :o

If they're too big for jewellery they'd look great mounted on - what - a board, maybe, as wall art, along with the next ones you're going to make  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »
Wall art..... now that's a pretty good idea.  You know I recently saw a documentary about Lambayeque and the pyramids of Tucame, some of the faces and figures the archaeologists found there remind me a bit of my little heads.  At Tucame some were figures, some just heads, some decoration on ceremonial knives, some made into jugs, some jewelery in gold with green stones (might have originally been copper, it's hard to tell sometimes.) there was quite a variety.

But I do want some of these to actually hang from a chain or cord, I just have to try to remember to add a means of suspension before I bake - I get a bit carried away sometimes adding items to the baking tray without thinking about it - just to fill up the tray.
FranOnTheEdge

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 08:14:27 PM »
Oh I don't believe that one Mel.  Can you post pics of your polymer faces?  I wanna see what you've got.  I bet yours are better for jewelry, mine are too big and heavy - well these 2 are anyway

I'll take some photos in the morning to show you.  ;D

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 08:25:04 PM »
Wayhay!  I'll await them with baited breath. Lol.
FranOnTheEdge

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 10:22:51 AM »
Here you go Fran.  ;D  Don't say I didn't warn you!!  I think they're so ugly!!! I think the first faces I made a few years back are better.  I seem to be completely incapable of sculpting a feminine face.  And no matter how hard I try they all end up looking quite similar and masculine, with big lips.  ???  Very frustrating!  I'm determined to do it one day though!!  I'm going to make moulds from them and see if I can make them look any better from the mould.  I know from the ceramic face beads I made recently from the moulds I made of my first polymer faces (bottom two photos), they can be manipulated a little.

many faces by Cherryhill Studio, on Flickr  face beads by Cherryhill Studio, on Flickr

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 11:05:49 AM »
Oh I love those Mel! 

You know, when we say 'Ugly' what we really should be thinking is "Faces with Personality"! because a 'beautiful' face can be really bland, and all those scars and wrinkles are part of the person's history, it's why people fell for men with a scar on their face, and why when you look on the net for older faces you can sometimes find a really fascinating one that is almost all wrinkles! People are intrigued by such things.

And it's so much more fun to try and add personality deliberately, like a hooked nose, or really full lips, or a snear.  So much fun!
A bigger nose, arched eyebrows, long ears... there's so much more you can do to such a face.

Your faces have great character, and I'm amazed at how small you can make them, I can't do that, I'm too clumsy.

I dare you to try making a face with lots of character, giving it flaws deliberately, I'd love to see what you came up with.
Oh do give it a go, Mel!
FranOnTheEdge

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 11:22:29 AM »
Awww thanks Fran.  :)  Challenge accepted!!  ;D

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 12:19:50 PM »
Hooray!  I'll do one too.

Think I'll post a new thread on Sculpting for this, see if anyone else wants to have a go.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:27:45 PM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »
I really like the white ones - just like stone heads in old ruined priories and so on  :D

It's so much nicer to see hand made individual faces.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 06:29:17 PM »
Yeah Carrie, and that reminds me, taking a look at gargoyles and grotesques you find on churches is a good idea too.
FranOnTheEdge