EJR Beads

Author Topic: Ring blanks - views?  (Read 3103 times)

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
Ring blanks - views?
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »
I'm just looking at all sorts of ring blanks on various sites and am not convinced by them. . The silvery ones look too cheap and shiny, and the 'antique bronze' ones look too fake, in a not very interesting way. I guess I could age them up a bit. I haven't the skills or tools to make my own as yet.
So, are adjustable ring blanks a bit tacky or are they perfectly OK? I could be swayed either way. There don't seem to be any obviously higher quality ones out there, it seems to be mass produced in China or hand made. . .
Many thanks,
Jon

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Ring blanks - views?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:36:13 PM »
Can't help, l'm afraid - l've always made my own with wire.
I use a tute for an adjustable one which is very easy - l'll try to find it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shimshoni-gallery/3702208071/in/photostream/

This is the first part, more pics n there.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:55:53 PM by Carrie »

JonB

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
Thanks Carrie, that looks interesting. I'll bookmark it for later consideration.

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 05:22:58 PM »
I like the idea of making rings too, but like you I've always thought they looked a bit tacky and cheap.  I have some for when I'm having a clay session with the kids as they like making rings.  They seem fairly durable, but I still don't like them.  I'm yet to find any that don't look cheap.

Mel  :)

JonB

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »
I pinned a couple of useful tuts I found on pinterest. You can make ring blanks using copper sheet and wire, no soldering. They look quite possible. They are by Rena Klingenberg on a site called jewelrymakingjournal.com, amongst the free tuts there. I need to have a good look round that site, it does look pretty good.

artdemole

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 06:52:44 AM »
Many rings can be made using wire jewelry. Some bulky enough to take polymer clay.