EJR Beads

Author Topic: First attempt with pc....its a b@gger!  (Read 5016 times)

Teeth2faces

First attempt with pc....its a b@gger!
« on: March 02, 2015, 12:49:51 PM »
Hi All
Finally got some PC and all the paraphernalia to go with it! One thing I've learned is that cleanliness is paramount as you'll see by the dirty face. I've also has problems with various degrees of darkening. It's a WIP so I'll soldier on!

Richard

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Re: First attempt with pc....its a b@gger!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:08:27 PM »
That's darned good!  I shouldn't worry about the face being darker, just think of it like this: she's screaming her head off, blood rushes to the face, so her face appears darker.  Simple!
Well done.
FranOnTheEdge

Teeth2faces

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »
Lol...I wish I had thought of that....before I started to mask it all out. I'm relying on paint now to achieve a skin tone but having no experience with paints and being chronically colour-blind I don't hold out much hope. I don't think its that important anyway as my 3 year old daughter says she wants it....as long as I give it a ponytail with a pink bobble!
Thank you for your kind comments.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 05:10:16 PM »
Is that made with Super Sculpey?  Because I've made a face with that before, then I attempted to paint it with acrylic plaint - found out after I'd put a base coat on that you normally do such flesh with pastels, you save off tiny amounts, use a small brush to pick up the powder and brush it onto the face (or rest of the body).
It was too late for me, I'd already ruined mine.  You might want to do some research on it.
FranOnTheEdge

Teeth2faces

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »
Yes it's super sculpey. I tried using pastels but the baked clay didn't seems to be porous enough to 'accept' the chalk and it looked worse. I thought about using a gesso as a base coat but was worried about filling in the detail so I decided on thin washes of titanium white paint. At the moment it has a horrible blue tinge to it. I will research more on it but although of course I'd like it to turn out great, it's not the end of the world if it's ruined...I hope lol

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 05:04:08 PM »
I think the point of using the pastels is that you keep most of the clay colour visible, acting as the general background skin tone, to which you add shadows, blusher, lip colour, highlights, and blemishes.

Actually you've made me think again about my ruined head... and I think I could just paint Swelegant metal paint over the top, (I tried sanding the paint off - which didn't work very well), but the Swellegant might save it anyway.

So thanks for that.
FranOnTheEdge

Teeth2faces

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 05:55:01 PM »
Hope it works for you! Do you intend to get it back to a flesh colour?
I've just received a huge tube of Burnt Umber paint so I'll carry on with that and see if I can salvage the piece but I must admit I'm losing heart a little and feel a new project coming on!
You must let me know how you get on and thank you for all your advice  :)

Richard

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »
Richard, I have no experience of working with flesh tones, so no specifics.

A suggestion that is repeated on here often is to make up some test tiles to try the different effects on.  In your case flesh coloured beads, with simple face like indents might work.

Beautiful work, so detailled.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 06:22:29 PM »
Wow!! Richard, that's really good.  I'm currently making faces to use as moulds, but mine really aren't very good in comparison to yours!  I sympathize with the dirt issue.  Mine are full of lint but I don't really care because they're for making moulds anyway.  I have discovered over the years that the only way to avoid lint and bits getting into your clay is and wear short sleeves while you're working.  It's just an observation I've made.  I never wear jumpers (sweaters) when working with polymer, that's always a nightmare for lint.  I know that's quite difficult this time of year in the Northern hemisphere.  Also, if what you're working on is something that will take a while, make sure you cover it with something i.e. cling film when you're not working on it and always get a clean tile to work on for each new work session.

Mel  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 08:56:22 AM »
I haven't noticed whether short sleeves or long ones make the slightest bit of difference here, but then I'm drowning in lint!  I've ordered an air purifier which according to tracking is 'out for delivery' right now.

Oooh! Exciting!
Actually it's not primarily for polymer clay, and I've only slipped up and mentioned that once, mostly it's for health reasons, because at the moment we both suffer with pet allergy, and are always stuffed up these days, more so since we've had the dog.

The fact that I'm hoping it'll help me keep my clay cleaner too is totally beside the point.

As for covering clay between bouts of modelling, I've used waxed paper for that, wrapping it around the tile I'm working on, and now I've found some nice little boxes at Aldi and my smallest tiles just about fit inside, so I can now lift the tile out to work on: a turtle say, then put the whole tile back into the box and pop the lid on, no need for waxed paper in that situation.  And because the boxes are clear plastic I can see what's in each box, in fact little faces, and tiny turtles are peeping out at me right now as I have the boxes on my desk, I have a set of 3 with a bright pink lid and there's a set of 4 shallower boxes with a green lid:

and they didn't cost much, I think they were 3.99 each set.

It's always worth looking around when you're out shopping as most supermarkets seem to be stocking this sort of thing these days.
Of course they aren't sold as craft things, these were Fridge storage boxes, but what the heck!  Why not?
FranOnTheEdge

Teeth2faces

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 06:22:01 PM »
Thanks for the tips Ladies....have had no time at all to put them into practice tho! Hopefully I'll have the whole day to do something on Tuesday.....I may even do something for your "Personality in Faces" topic FranontheEdge!

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 06:31:11 PM »
Just a quick extra point - powdered chalk pastels only work on raw clay (unless they're mixed into something, a glaze, for example).

Oh - do try and have a go at Fran's challenge!

Teeth2faces

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 06:44:34 PM »
Thanks Carrie, I didn't know that.....probably why it looked so awful lol

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 09:25:37 AM »
Wow - she is amazing! I wouldn't have noticed the differing shades had you not mentioned it. But I think it is quite natural really - none of us are really the same colour all over, especially if we are squawking!

I've used powdered chalks on raw clay before - I did find that over time the colours faded though, but artist quality pastels etc might be more colourfast, I don't know. Also, if you are adding paint - check on some baked test tiles first that the paint is compatible. Some paints just won't dry over baked clay or they can even turn the clay surface sticky after a few days / weeks. So its important to use stuff you are confident won't have any compatibility issues.

You might also want to check out Cernit clay - they have a huge range of fleshtones and the semi-translucent nature of their doll and number one ranges works beautiful for skin, hence why so many doll makers favour that brand.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Teeth2faces

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 12:22:58 PM »
Thank you Emma
I will certainly look at Cernit in future. At the moment I'm getting so frustrated with things I daren't buy any more! I think I need to get it into my head that nothing happens in 5 minutes and learn to put stuff down and leave it for a while!