EJR Beads

Author Topic: Has anyone tried the keading machine?  (Read 14625 times)

Elenotti

• Fickr album
Has anyone tried the keading machine?
« on: February 11, 2015, 08:42:47 AM »
Hi there!
I have MS and my hands and right arm are often numb, kneading pc is a nightmare sometimes... I heard of a knew machine from the US - "never knead" or something.
I was wondering if someone has tried it already and what they think. Also, if anyone knows if it is for sale in Europe (perhaps Emma is thinking of distributing it?), having things shipped from the US to Italy is very tricky, parcels get lost or stolen, not to mention the impossible custom fees...
thanks,
Elena

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Has anyone tried the keading machine?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:00:12 AM »
I've not tried the machine and don't know much about it. I think some members were discussing it in another thread here recently?

I don't tend to deal in any heavy tools - too expensive to ship and store. Plus - very often I don't really think they add anything to our lives that we cannot find elsewhere for cheaper! Very often, tools I have seen marketed for polymer clay use are just adapted versions of tools you can find in hardware stores. (hint: google image search for "small hand press" or "eyelet press" ). I'm not criticising for the most part - good for them. But I have seen over the years some really exploitative pricing on certain items. Potato peelers spring to mind  ::)

Some people will look at a tool then and think "Hey, I just need a couple of sheets of acrylic, some strong glue and my imagination and I can make my own version of this for pennies" - others will think "life is too short - I am gonna purchase this solution and support a small business with my custom". Everything depends on the tool in question, how easy it would be to make your own or to buy it and what your life philosophy is.

When I was having trouble with my arms, I bought a pasta machine motor. Do you have one of those? They make conditioning the clay very quick and easy.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:03:53 AM »
I'm with Emma. I have a pasta machine motor. Also a mini chopper for really old stubborn clay. And my recent discovery (after seeing the kneading machine) is a good old fashioned hammer. Bit of effort needed, but just wrapping it in a plastic bag and then give it a several wacks is a lot easier on my fingers/hands.

Shelley

Elenotti

• Fickr album
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:22:50 AM »
Thank you Emma and Shelley,
and thanks for the hint. I've tried searching for hand presses and the results I got are wonderful, there are so many tools that could do the job for a small price.
There's even one tool that is embarrassingly similar to the kneadind machine for a third of the price. And now that I think of it, I must have a vintage metal hamburger press I got from my grandma hidden somewhere in the kitchen and that might just be the perfect thing...
And yes I do have a motorized pasta machine but I tend not to use it to condition clay too much because I hate cleaning it (lazy me).
Thanks again

Elena

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 02:07:26 PM »
Elena

On cleaning the motorized pasta machine - I read somewhere that you can take the guards off a pasta machine, thus exposing the rollers and that this makes it much easier to clean it. But it all depends on whether you want to go that far or not.

I'd love to see a pic of your grandma's  vintage metal hamburger press, it sounds fascinating, I love old things like that.
Hint hint.

FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »
You can get a lot of the gunk off the pasta machine by running a piece of translucent clay through it, then just do a clean now and then. 

I have to confess that l have never taken a machine apart for cleaning - l go at it with old bits of cloth and paper towels and the like, and the odd poke with a wooden skewer in the corners  ::) 
l also run the rollers back the wrong way which l'm sure l once read was bad practise but doesn't seem to have mattered.....

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 08:31:32 PM »
Ian took my old one apart and at one stage it did look like the one of... (was it Desiree... something? It was a website page that told you how to take it apart for cleaning or repair...)  looked like a stripped down one did, and either she or someone else said that they kept it that way for ease of cleaning.

I've also heard of running the rollers backwards, but I didn't hear of it being bad for it, just a tip for cleaning, so I do that all the time now.

I've heard that using the no 1 setting a lot can damage the gears though, so I try not to do that much.
FranOnTheEdge

Karolina.S

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 08:46:05 PM »
I do the backward cranking to. Carrie. I think i wrote a blog post about that on sculpey.com. It really helps tp get gunk out.

I too dont really take them apart to clean....i dont see the need for that as i do fine anyway. :) Maybe im to sloppy?

Timr in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:20:13 PM »
I've never deep cleaned my pasta machines. Life is too short.

Even when I was doing the books - and the photography under those lights really shows up EVERYTHING you don't want to see and magnifies it - even then, the most I did was wipe the rollers over with meths and run some scrap clay back and forth through the rollers a bit.

But if you are conditioning crumbly clay, that can be a real bugger and make a right mess! You can cut thin slices and roll them in a plastic baggie though to catch the crumbs

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 11:10:12 PM »
You can cut thin slices and roll them in a plastic baggie though to catch the crumbs
Brilliant tip, Emma  :D

MilleD

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 08:14:54 AM »

I've heard that using the no 1 setting a lot can damage the gears though, so I try not to do that much.

The reason I've seen quoted for not using the number 1 setting is that it tends to be the 'goto' setting for a lot of people so you are better off conditioning in number 2 so that number 1 stays perfectly aligned.

Not sure where I read that though.  I've been using Cernit a lot recently and the pasta machine is kind of the final bit for that as the warmth of your hands seems far more conducive to it softening than running through the machine.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 08:23:36 AM »
Cernit definitely responds well to hand heat. I always recommend customers handle the Cernit when conditioning it - if you only rely on a pasta machine (or other machine) to condition it, it takes much longer. You don't even need to knead it - just holding it a bit does the trick.

I love this about Cernit - because the reverse is true as well. It will be soft when you handle it, but if it gets too soft you can just leave it alone for a few moments and it firms up really quickly. I find this quality very useful when rolling beads round etc. I like having that broad range of soft to firm that I can choose from and control.

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 09:43:21 AM »
I have been thinking for some time now about making my first you tube video.

I want it to bee about this subject "how to condition clay with bad hands"

I have them my self, the bad hands. I even got an x-ray picutre of my thumb the other day and the bones/joints in my right thumb are not at all in its right place.
But i do knead and form my clay with my hands, just in another way. Maybe i should pull my self toghether and make that video. But then you all would see my kneadable me :o
Timr in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Elenotti

• Fickr album
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 11:51:07 AM »
Thank you all,

I've tried everything to clean the pasta machine. Even took it apart once... but couldn't find my way back...
After a while, taking advantage of the fact that in Italy you can find reasonably good and very very very cheap pasta machines at every corner, I resumed to use first 2 then 3 different small machines 1 for dark, 1 for fair colors and one for white and translucent. I still have to clean them, but there's less risk of ruining a project.
I've tried running both baby wipes and  blotting paper back and forth for different reasons: baby wipes help detach scrap clay lumps while thick blotting paper is good at cathching them.
Also tried running strips of thick drawing paper between the roller and the blades. They are hard enough to catch and release the scraps with the friction, but gentle enough not to damage the machine. Anything you can think of is worth a try...

Karolina, you should definitely shoot that video.

Fran, I'll send you a picture of grandma's press as soon as I find it. It was aluminum with a base screwd on to the press with indentations on the inside, UK make I guess. She had all sorts of fascinating kitchen tools she used to buy when travelling abroad.

The plastic baggie is such a clever idea Emma will try that immediately!

BudgieGaile

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 06:27:44 PM »
I clean my pasta machine with a baby wipe. I put it though the machine!