EJR Beads

Author Topic: Advice on finishing  (Read 6784 times)

MilleD

Advice on finishing
« on: January 18, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »
Hi all,

I have made this bangle:

Polymer clay bangle (unsanded) by MilleDreamer, on Flickr

However, whilst I can sand the edges and inside and buff up, obviously I can't do the outside.

My question is should I put a shiny glaze on it or leave it polymer.  Whilst I like the polymer finish as it's Cernit, I can't help feeling that it's a bit dull.

In hindsight, if I made it again, I would use the Cernit opaque for the petals instead of the translucent.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Advice on finishing
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
I think I would antique it actually. Give it a sort of 1930s / 40s plastic feel - because the design and colour really put me in mind of that period already.

Use a diluted wash of dark brown acrylic paint or ink and when touch dry, wipe it back from the high areas with a peice of jay cloth or cotton wool just dampened with meths.

You could even try a different colour to dark brown - so long as it is quite dark. I found middling or light shades just look insipid with this method.

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MilleD

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 10:40:51 AM »
Ooh, that sounds scary!

Is there a way to rescue it if I muck it up?

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 10:48:19 AM »
Claire, have you any of spare bits of the unbaked clay from this.  If you have make up a small tile, or two and test it out first.  I am with you, sounds scary.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

MilleD

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 11:18:14 AM »
Claire, have you any of spare bits of the unbaked clay from this.  If you have make up a small tile, or two and test it out first.  I am with you, sounds scary.

I actually made a single flower on the orange background to check size - good idea, I will dig it out.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 11:28:13 AM »
The only really scary part is if you let the paint / ink fully cure. Until that point, you should be able to get most of it off.

Ok, yeah - its a bit scary. But we clayers live for the thril of the jump. Wait, no - that is base jumpers. But similar... yunno

Do a test is the perfect answer.

Antiquing though is a technique, I think, that can sometimes really bring a piece alive. I don't know why - but for me at least, that bangle is screaming out for it.

I could be wrong of course - and tastes are subjective. I am just saying what I would do if it were my make.

The wiping back with alcohol bit is really just an alternative to sanding back the high areas - the other way of antiquing. It is just a lot quicker and perfect for items where you cannot really sand.

If you make the wash of paint very diluted, you get a really nice subtle effect which you can build up in layers. If anyone happens to have my first book, I showcase this technique in one of the double page spreads somewhere in it, making a moulded photo frame thingybob with blue "antiquing". Likewise on the barette project I think I do some antiquing on one of those.

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 03:40:11 PM »
Antiquing scares me too........ :-\

Such a nice bangle.....lucky you have something to test it on.

I'll have a look at the book later (if l remember ::))

MilleD

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 04:03:42 PM »
I can't find any meths so I just painted on watered down burnt umber acrylic and whilst it was wet, wiped it off the raised areas.

Hmm, not too happy with it.  Maybe should have waited till I got some meths....

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 04:30:34 PM »
Haven't heard of using meths before - just dry kitchen paper.......
Hope it's your test piece :o

Had a thought....what about some metallic highlights - have you got any InkaGold, or guilders wax (though l don't find that's quite as 'obvious' as the InkaGold. 
Or a light dabbing with metallic ink from an ink pad, or even metallic acrylic paint.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 05:12:28 PM »
I think the only difference with the meths is it probably wipes a tad more off than water alone so you get a cleaner removal from the high areas.

I feel bad now - that you did it and don't like it  :-\ :-\ :-\

Emma

MilleD

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 05:31:43 PM »
 ;D  Don't worry, it was the test piece.

Hmm, I do have Inka Gold in a few colours.  Trouble is now I don't have a test piece  ;)

Or hmm Inka Gold over the test piece.

I shall experiment.

Emma - I understand about the meths cleaning better - I think that's why I don't like what I've done so maybe it would still work.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 05:39:02 PM »
I guess it depends on why you don't like what you've already tried.

Emma

MilleD

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 05:58:47 PM »
It made the white petals just look dirty.

I quite like the effect on the orange bit around the flowers, but yeah the white needs to be whiter.  So maybe meths would work?

I could always make another one if needs be, it wasn't that complicated  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 06:23:52 PM »
I think ideally, if you're doing it again, just don't paint the white bits. That way they shouldn't be too contaminated.

The trouble you have now is that you need to wipe back somehow before the paint cures. Once it does that, it becomes waterproof and the only way to remove it is sanding.

So the wipe back method, whatever you use, has to be pretty quickly done once the paint is just touch dry. It really depends on the paint. I have had some that will rehydrate and wipe back the next day or even the day after. Other times it is pretty set within a few hours.

But you could try wiping back the white bits further now - try it with water, with vodka - anything you like really. The aim is merely to hydrate the paint and wipe it away. I've just found that meths being so good at cleaning surfaces does it quite nicely.

You often have to have two or three wipe-backs to get the piece where you want it anyway I find.

Cotton buds are handing too for cleaning up detailed areas

Emma

MilleD

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 07:47:27 AM »
I have now purchased some meths.

Jeez, the smell reminds me of my Nan trying to get plasters off when I was a kid - she must have used meths  :o

I shall be attempting to not ruin my bangle and give it a go.

Soon.

Honest

:)