EJR Beads

Author Topic: Help please with Copper Primo  (Read 2342 times)

LizzyClare

• lizzy's beads on Facebook
Help please with Copper Primo
« on: April 21, 2011, 02:21:23 PM »
Hi everyone - hope someone can help!
Have spent this morning going through what a friend of mine wants for some jewellery for bridesmaids. Turns out she is having 6 - quite a lot more than I was expecting. She wants reddish beads and brought a material sample.

Primo copper matches perfectly so I thought just a case of making some beads without mixing eg. However as the clay is a metalic clay when it lies in slightly different directions you get a slightly different colouration which makes small beads (6mm for the smallest) vary in colour quite a lot and look dirty.

Any suggestions? I could try and colour match using non-metalic type clay and if anyone has a colourmix receipe for that I would be grateful.
Thanks Liz

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Help please with Copper Primo
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:39:58 PM »
The heavy mica content in the Premo metallics means they can display different shades of the same colour, depending on how the flakes of mica are aligned.

Tell us a little bit more about the beads you are making - are you talking about simple round beads that look different depending on the angle of viewing?

If they are found beads-  are you rolling them for long enough would be my other question? The more you roll the beads, the more you will flatten out the flakes of mica in the clay nearest the surface and the more reflective and even it should become.

If you just cut a section of clay off and roll it quite quickly, the flakes don't get flattened down enough all over and you can find a more patchy appearance.

If this seems to be the problem and it is because the clay is just too reflective, you could try a different clay - the Cernit glamour clays are a milder version of metallic - still a nice sheen, but stay a little more even in tone as they are not heavily mica based like the Premo and Fimo metallics are.

But if you give us a bit more detail about the beads and how you are making them, I am sure it will help to isolate if there is a workaround for you. If you have a picture, so much the better!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

LizzyClare

• lizzy's beads on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 05:08:03 PM »
Hi Emma thanks for your reply.

Just making some simple round beads.

I think perhaps a bit more conditioning and rolling might be in order. I have just put some golden russet pearlex on as this is virtually the same colour. Quite like the effect so going to make a couple and let her have a look. Trouble is then I will have to varnish them all rather than a quick polish!

I thought I was just letting myself in for a small job to help as I know she doesn't have much money for the wedding. Still I have 4 weeks (well 3 really as going on holiday next week) for 6 necklaces and 8 pairs of earrings with my beads and the bride's necklace and earrings with some salvaged pearls she found.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »
I think if you really squish the clay about in your fingers before rolling it into a ball and then give it a good long roll, that should help even things out.

The otheridea is maybe you could texture the beads a little? If you put small dimples into them with a ball tool (think a bit like the divots on a golf ball) - this will break up any patchyness as the eye wil then see light and dark versions of the colour all over by virtue of the texture.

That way, you wouldn't need to sand or varnish the beads and the effect can be very attractive and quite quick and easy to do.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies