EJR Beads

Author Topic: Xmas Goodies!  (Read 7505 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Xmas Goodies!
« on: December 25, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »
Got some amazing prezzies this year:
Here's one:

And here's the other:

The chasing hammer is so light, I can hardly believe it!

The Dapping Block on the other hand is very, very heavy, especially when it's sitting in its wooden stand with all the tools that go with it.  Dunno what you call 'em, they all have different sized balls on one end.

That's it, Xmas is over, I'm off back to bed with my constant headache.
FranOnTheEdge

MilleD

Re: Xmas Goodies!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 11:04:21 AM »
Loving that dapping set  :)

I got a hammer with interchangeable texture heads and a heat gun.  I love my family  :D

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 10:39:06 PM »
Loving that dapping set  :)

I got a hammer with interchangeable texture heads and a heat gun.  I love my family  :D
Ah Millie!  I'm so jealous, that was my top favourite on the list I gave my husband. A texturing hammer! You lucky thing. But I still love my dapping set.
But he also got me a lovely new purse, which wasn't on the list.  The list was only craft stuff. But I did really need a new purse, and it's a lovely big one in real leather - see, sometimes they are listening!  Lol!

It's my birthday on the 30th, I wonder if I might get some pickle? (And I don't mean pickled onions) Metal pickle. That would be nice.
Happy Xmas and a merry new year!
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 07:30:53 AM »
I have the same dapping set - don't use it often but it is very useful when I do.

Emma

who got nothing clay related for Xmas, just a snazzy new motorbike jacket and a lava lamp
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »
I recently saw online somewhere someone had used old coins - farthings, for example - in l assume a metal dapping block - they looked great!

I got some choc and two bottles of port  ::)  But they were the only things l wanted needed  ;D

MilleD

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »

But he also got me a lovely new purse, which wasn't on the list.  The list was only craft stuff. But I did really need a new purse, and it's a lovely big one in real leather - see, sometimes they are listening!  Lol!

You're right, they do listen.

I commute by road bike and have been moaning that my old mountain bike is heavy and knackered so my other half got me a Giant Talon, not brand new, ex hire but looks perfect.

Of course, true to form whenever you get a bike for christmas the weather promptly takes a turn for the worse so I've not been out on it yet  ::)  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 01:23:10 PM »
It's my birthday today.  I'm mumble mumble years old. On the plus side I'm starting to feel a good bit better.  Less bunged up and the headache is only on one side of my head when I cough, coughing less too.
Opened my presents at 12.10 last night/this morning so Ian could watch me doing it. (he's at work today.)

I have the same dapping set - don't use it often but it is very useful when I do.

Emma

who got nothing clay related for Xmas, just a snazzy new motorbike jacket and a lava lamp

I call that dapping set 'clay related' because I'm certainly planning to use it to make impressions in clay, in that I now have a fully graduated set of ball tools! Tadah!

Hey Emma, pic of your lava lamp?

Please?

I love lava lamps, got one by my bed, no idea when we got it, somewhere in the 90's I think.  We found it at the back of the summerhouse when we were clearing up in there. I'm curious to know what yours looks like.  Mine's just yellow wax in very pale lilac liquid.  I always wanted a purple wax one, or red wax in a strongly purple liquid.  Rocket shaped, of course. Mine's sort of rocket shaped, but no tail fins... sigh.

I recently saw online somewhere someone had used old coins - farthings, for example - in l assume a metal dapping block - they looked great!

I got some choc and two bottles of port  ::)  But they were the only things l wanted needed  ;D

Yes, I read something about this, if you sand off the surface you get a kind of Mokume Gane effect, if the coins are a certain date, since sanding the top will reveal a different coloured metal below, but only if the coins were plated.  If you've previously hammered the coins then the mokume gane is more effective since the stamped design distorts somewhat.

Such a coin might make a nice inclusion for a PolyClay pendant.

You're right, they do listen.

I commute by road bike and have been moaning that my old mountain bike is heavy and knackered so my other half got me a Giant Talon, not brand new, ex hire but looks perfect.

Of course, true to form whenever you get a bike for christmas the weather promptly takes a turn for the worse so I've not been out on it yet  ::)  :)

Lol @Millie!
Well sometimes they listen.  I got a new mug (I'd already bought one and told him I had) & a bottle of Baileys (ditto), but that's okay, now we can have tea and coffee together in the same designed mug. Since he even bought the exact same design of mug that I did... maybe we should put Baileys in the mugs?... except he doesn't like it.

But that's okay - I'm sure I'll get through it somehow.   ::)

My proper present was the hoped for Texturing hammer - I'm in heaven!

Millie, do you have a pic of yours?

Do you know if you can get extra heads for them?  Different designs?

Here's mine:

Plus 2 days ago, the Donna Kato book I ordered a couple of months ago finally arrived, so I'm really happy now.  This is my first PolyClay book ever.  Must have been written before Mokume Gane came along though as there's nothing about that in there.

I'm so loving this texturing hammer, it's a thing of beauty in its own right, lovely and shiny, sitting in a red velvet cavity, in a red leather box with gold clasps. I keep wanting to touch it.  And this too can be used for both metal and for clay, so long as I don't leave any clay residue in the hammer heads' crevices.

Um, Millie?  What's a giant Talon?  Sounds a bit Jurassic.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:46:31 PM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 01:50:24 PM »
Loving that card!

Just the sort of thing Mr Man would get me. The hammer aint bad either!  :D :D

Emma

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 02:09:53 PM »
Loving that card!

Just the sort of thing Mr Man would get me. The hammer aint bad either!  :D :D

Emma

Lol!  I'm not sure if that 'Happy little Devil' is supposed to be me, or him looking at me.  I think it's safer for a happy marriage, not to ask.  ROFL!
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »
Well he isn't wearing a dress, so I would say its him!

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 04:12:09 PM »
It doesn't look like you, Fran, so it must be him!  Happy Birthday  :)

Which Donna Kato book did you get?

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 05:12:35 PM »
Well he isn't wearing a dress, so I would say its him!

Emma

Ah but I don't wear dresses either...

It doesn't look like you, Fran, so it must be him!  Happy Birthday  :)

Which Donna Kato book did you get?

Well, that's true, I don't have horns or a tail, I guess you're right, it must be him.

Drat, didn't I post the book pic?  Hang on...

Here you are, it's the 'Surface Effects' one:
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 08:00:24 PM »
Enjoy!

MilleD

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 12:38:36 PM »
red wax in a strongly purple liquid. 

That's the combination I have.  The Classic Mathmos one.  Top tip- if your wax ever refuses to move about the lamp and stays in one big blob at the bottom, a touch of epsom salts livens it up considerably!

Disclaimer - I take no responsibility for your wax trying to escape the lamp if you do try this -as Boni says "your results may differ"   :)

I will try to get a pic of my hammer for you.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 10:00:56 PM »
Enjoy!

I am, it's QI.

red wax in a strongly purple liquid. 

That's the combination I have.  The Classic Mathmos one.  Top tip- if your wax ever refuses to move about the lamp and stays in one big blob at the bottom, a touch of epsom salts livens it up considerably!

Disclaimer - I take no responsibility for your wax trying to escape the lamp if you do try this -as Boni says "your results may differ"   :)

I will try to get a pic of my hammer for you.

Oooh, lucky you with the Classic Matmos.  I have no epsom salts, never needed any, but my lava lamp works okay so at the moment I don't need to run the risky sounding experiment that you describe.

I look forward to the photo of your hammer.
FranOnTheEdge