EJR Beads

Author Topic: Thin resin?  (Read 2271 times)

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
Thin resin?
« on: December 21, 2014, 11:44:36 AM »
Hi all,
Not strictly poly clay but this is a general crafts question. I did a search on resin but couldn't find anything relevant to my issue so I just want to ask a quick question of any resin savvy folks out there.
I want to coat some dye sub printed ceramic tiles with a reasonably hard wearing varnish/resin/other, but can't seem to find what I want anywhere. Envirotex lite looks very good, but it is extremely expensive, working out at about 2 for a 6" x 6" tile, (!!) and it is a bit over the top for what I want. (the technique seems incredibly wasteful too from the vids I just watched) I want a thin coating that will be reasonably scratch proof, I don't need the '50 times thicker' quality of Envorotex.
I've been googling and researching. I'll try ringing a couple of places for advice next week, unless they are all shut for xmas. . .
Spray would be great, but all i can find seems to be for auto bodywork. I might try some of that next week too. I have the usual problem of knowing what I want but not knowing what it's called. Do I look for varnish? Resin? Is it 'laminating resin' I want , or is that something different?. . are they places that spray resin commercially? . . . sigh. Somebody asked about using my ties for a fireplace surround and i need to make them a bit tougher.
Thanks in advance,
Jon

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
Re: Thin resin?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 12:14:44 PM »
Predictably after posting i have found a couple more possibilties. Plasicote do  clear spray varnish that might work. Time to experiment I think. .