EJR Beads

Author Topic: necklaces - all the way up?  (Read 5602 times)

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
necklaces - all the way up?
« on: December 07, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »
Just an inquiry. I notice that many necklaces tend to have beads extending most, if not all the way up to and round the neck. I also notice that it's not something I'm doing. I'm not sure what is best, there is something 'finished' looking about a necklace that doesn't sort of 'stop', but I wonder if I'm just thinking of emulating this practice because everybody else is doing it or because it looks good.
Do you have a view on this? Just curious what the consensus is.
I will have to have a serious manufacturing session to make a load of small spacer type beads I think.
cheers,
Jon x

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: necklaces - all the way up?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 06:13:22 PM »
I chuckled to myself reading your post - and probably unfairly. Because your post is exactly the sort of thing my husband would say if he were making jewellery.

He would look at what he saw out there and analyse it - with the typical problem solver type mind that he has. Trying to see if there were patterns or logical reasons why one method should be better than the other. So I am wondering whether you're a bit of a problem solver type too. With all the cool experiments and techniques you have been devising though, I'd say that was a given.

I think in reality the answer is neither method is best. If you are seeing a lot of half-finished style necklaces it is mostly likely to be a) fashionable right now and b) clayers are lazy and never make enough beads.  :P

Now of course - I'm no follower of fashion, but I am and always will be lazy. So you can guess what type of necklaces I generally make

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 07:07:26 PM »
Jon, I think your organic style of beads suits the 'not all the way round' sort of necklace.  Your individual beads are so unlike any others out there, why should you stringing conform. 
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

Karolina.S

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 07:11:26 PM »
I say that you should make them as you want to. 

Emma i noticed that you changed from calling Him "Mr Man" to saying "my husband" did you go and get married without telling us or where you married all along?

Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 10:17:09 PM »
I say that you should make them as you want to. 

Emma i noticed that you changed from calling Him "Mr Man" to saying "my husband" did you go and get married without telling us or where you married all along?

Guilty as charged.

We tied the knot at the end of October - after about 20 years together.

I am now allowed to nag him officially  ;D ;D ;D

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 10:47:01 PM »
Congratulations!

Karolina.S

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 10:48:49 PM »
Congratulation!
Pictures!

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 12:17:38 AM »
Congratulations here, too.  8) 8)

And a comment on the technique.  I don't really wear much jewelry, but here's my take.

I never wear my hair short, but am now wearing it longer.  It is quite curly.  It curls in tight little ringlets at the bottom in back.  I would never get a necklace off if it had beads around the back.  I know of others with long (or, as in my case, long'ish') hair who have the same problem.  It's been a long time since I made a necklace that goes all the way around the back.

I also think it's a waste of beads unless it's really necessary for the style of necklace, hair, and garments.

Hugs, Boni  8) Another Wonderful Day in Paradise, Yuma, Arizona

Sylvia

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 12:35:08 AM »
Also, if the person wants to wear the necklace against the skin under a shirt with a collar, the beads towards the back will make it quite bulky.

And, Congratulations to Mr Ralph - E, I hope you will be very happy!
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 08:16:45 AM »
Congratulations Emma!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Jon.....I tend to not make them all the way round the back.....I work on the principle that you can't see them round there so what is the point?

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 10:04:57 AM »
Thanks everybody. I am reassured ;-) Sorry to be a bit insecure and needy on the jewellery making front but it is a new departure for me.
And yes Emma I guess I am a 'problem solver' of the blokey analytical kind ;-) Well spotted. I am also lazy insofar as I don't want to do something potentially tedious if there will be no benefit at the end of it. I'd be a perfectionist if I could be bothered . . .

congrats on the knot tying! I can recommend marriage, It's so good I've done it twice. .  ah, wait a minute. .

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 10:30:57 AM »
One thing I like when people are new to something is they ask good questions.

Sometimes asking questions that make you think "hold on - that's a point, why have I never wondered about that?" So never worry about asking questions like that - it is interesting to us all and makes us stop and think why we are (or aren't) doing something a certain way.

As you can see though - there are many good reasons not to complete a necklace the full way around. Especially if you are using handmade or expensive beads that will be hidden under hair styles or shirt collars as pointed out.

Sometimes weight can be an issue too. The lighter something is the more comfy to wear all day. Although that isn't typically a consideration with polymer clay beads as they tend to be quite light anyway.

Emma

(As for photos - lol, someone did take some. I've only looked at them once though and nothing lept out as anything I'd be happy to show off. Your Glorious Leader is many shades of amazing in many ways, but sadly cameras hate her and being photogenic is not one of them!)

Karolina.S

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 12:47:58 PM »
Haha :) I would say that you probably are to self critical master ;)

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 02:36:25 PM »
Get yer photo's out!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 04:06:26 PM »
OMG!!! Emma, that was a bit sneaky of you!! I wish you both all the best!!

Congratulations

Jon,  I agree with Ann, your style suits not having beads all the way round.  Plus, I think leather as a stringing material is feature in its own right.  It would be a shame to completely cover it.  And these days it comes in so many pretty colours that you want to show off!!

Mel  :)

P.S. Ditto what Peter said!!!  :D