EJR Beads

Author Topic: Extruder bore adapters and compatible extruders?  (Read 3455 times)

deboosh

Extruder bore adapters and compatible extruders?
« on: December 06, 2014, 09:55:09 PM »
Hello Everybody,

I found a great free tutorial from Bettina Welker on how to make a "pin-to-pendant converter".  This is it, for anyone interested:  http://www.beadworx.de/en/converter_en/  I have a couple of questions about extruder adapters. 

Bettina's instructions say to use the 2.5 mm adapter, however Makins doesn't have that size; theirs are 1, 2 & 3mm, so I thought I would just use the 3mm disk.   (They also offer a larger set.)

I don't have a Makins extruder, and was hoping that the adapters could be used with my Jane Asher sugarcraft extruder (from the UK). 

However, if the adapters don't fit the Jane Asher, I will purchase the Makins model.  But Makins has a couple of different models, and I want to make sure I get the correct one ~~ or is model type a non-issue? 

Can anyone offer their thoughts on this? 

Thank you!

Deb

monkey ann

• Illuminati
Re: Extruder bore adapters and compatible extruders?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:31:07 PM »
Hi Deb, as far as I know Makins are the only makers of the core adapters.  I have used my Makins adapters in Makins, Walnut Hollow and Lucy Clay extruders, with no problems.  Not tried a Jane Asher.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:57:24 PM »
The main thing to be aware of is the type of extruder.  So, does it have a plunger which you press from the top - l think your sugarcraft one is likely to be this type, which is also ok for ceramic clay or other softer material, or, does it have a threaded plunger which is wound down with a handle.  Makins professional, walnut hollow and lucy tools ones are all the latter and cope well with polymer clay - Emma sells the makins and walnut hollow. 

I think your polymer clay would need to be very soft to extrude the hollow tubes using an adapter in the plunger type, even if the dies fitted.

But!  If what you want to make is a hollow tube for the brooch adapter you can easily roll a hollow tube manually round a rod of some sort.  While Bettina's method makes a very neat adapter, l think you only need to make a single tube that both the brooch pin and the pendant cord go through.  To wear as a pendant you'd have the tube on the cord ready to slide the pin into.  Brooch one day, pendant the next  :)

Or, you can use a short length of hollow rubber tubing on your stringing cord ready to slide the brooch pin into.  No clay fiddling at all and just as effective ;)   Emma sells the hollow rubber cord too!

deboosh

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »
Thank you all for your replies!  I took the plunge and bought the adapters.  I really like the professional look you get with this tute, so hopefully it will fit my Jane Asher. 

katiep1959

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:56:17 AM »
Thanks Deb that is really handy. I just bought the makins core adapters to make tube beads but this is a cool idea  :D