EJR Beads

Author Topic: Crayon Flower Tutorial  (Read 4759 times)

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
Crayon Flower Tutorial
« on: November 29, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »
Hi everyone  :)

I couldn't stay away from polymer clay any longer so I had a polyplay session yesterday and photographed each step as I went along.  The end result was a mini tutorial.  There's a picture one that will be pretty self explanatory for the more experienced clayer and written instructions on a separate page for anyone new to polymer clay.  Obviously you can use any shape you like, any ink colours, any acrylic paint colour.  I prefer to use translucent clay for this technique, but use whatever you like.  Experiment and have fun making it your own!!

crayon flower tutorial by Cherryhill Studio, on Flickr  crayon flower tutorial instructions by Cherryhill Studio, on Flickr

Mel  :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Crayon Flower Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
Thank you!  Love the three layers for the easy threading channel  :)

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 10:38:56 AM »
Thanks Carrie  :) :)

Karolina.S

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 12:26:32 PM »
Nice one!
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:25:06 AM »
Nice tutorial. I like the easy threading channel idea too. The hollow beads I made are a pig to thread even though the holes are pretty generous. A nice clean and clear look to the photos too. Getting a consistent look to photos is not trivial.

Jon
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:59:59 AM by ejralph »

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:20:44 AM »

One thing I've noticed about using translucent clay with alcohol inks and crayon over the years is that the colours aren't as predictable as you might think.  I used a combination of Raspberry, cool peri and pink sherbet for this as I really didn't have a plan, and when I added the crayon it changed again.  He's a photo of what it looked like after it was baked.  Not particularly pretty I'm afraid!  The acrylic paint is what really finishes it off nicely and ended up turning it into a muted red colour.

It also pays to bare in mind that the more times you run the clay through the pasta machine once you've added the crayon, it will eventually dissolve into the clay leaving only tiny specks of crayon.  That's a nice effect too.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:00:14 AM by ejralph »

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »
Hi Folks.  :)

I'm still slightly addicted to making these so here's my latest.

butterfly one by Cherryhill Studio, on Flickr butterfly two by Cherryhill Studio, on Flickr

For these ones I ran the surface across 240 grit sandpaper in both directions which gave it a bit of a crisscross effect for the acrylic paint to cling to.  I quite like the effect.  The ones I'd done when I made the little tute I hadn't bothered sanding at all, I'd just gently smoothed a piece of parchment paper over the surface.  I will generally do anything to get out of sanding.

This next one is me getting into the Christmas spirit.  I used Adirondack Alcohol Ink in Citrus and green crayon for this one and I went over it lightly with gold gilders wax after the black acrylic paint had dried so it has a nice golden shine to it.

Christmas tree by Cherryhill Studio, on Flickr

Anyway, if anyone does happen to give it a go, I'd love to see what you come with.  :)

BBCrafts

• BeckieBooCrafts
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 02:58:50 PM »
Guess what I am doing today?
Call Me Becka *Smiley Face*
https://beckieboocrafts.wordpress.com/

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 08:02:01 PM »
Dying to know how you got on?!?!?!  ;D

BBCrafts

• BeckieBooCrafts
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 10:27:49 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't have time to try it yesterday, but I am determined to try it tonight after dinner. I will post my results here, but a indepth blog post will probably be up tonight or tomorrow
Call Me Becka *Smiley Face*
https://beckieboocrafts.wordpress.com/

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 10:25:56 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what you make from it, Becka.