EJR Beads

Author Topic: Do you sell e-books or tutorials?  (Read 10090 times)

MilleD

Re: Do you sell e-books or tutorials?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 01:33:56 PM »

To register for VAT with all those countries could take weeks of time and effort.

This is what the MOSS is supposed to be for so that you don't have to register with 27 different countries I think.

For info, HMRC have tweaked how this works now so the system may be different that was first advised.  I get the feeling that further tweaks may be in the offing though as I'm not sure the practicalities have been completely thought through.

Interestingly, I've read that compliance is likely to very low amongst small traders and there is a general feeling that it's unknown how much each member state cares about those that default.  Will they spend time and money to come after a trader for a few euros?  Time will tell I suppose.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »
Their idea that we could just enter Nil on the UK side of a vat return just sounds so dodgy to me. Until that advice is made more official, I'd be thinking very hard about signing up for vatmoss unless you really had no other way.

Seems though that the manual intervention thing is a life saver for many. For my e-book - having the personal interation that I also offer via this forum and email support seems to be enough to exempt it from this silly rule.

But I worry what it will mean for small businesses and start-ups when they extend it to physical products too. I quite believe they will try to do away with any exemption threshold at all at that point unless we don't keep an eye on them

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MilleD

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 10:16:12 AM »
I agree about the nil entry.  Sounds a bit like they are bringing in VAT registration for all by stealth.

Yes, when they bring it in for everything it could be business ending for some.

My problem is that I just don't understand the point of it.  Surely the whole point is a charge on the 'value added' part of a business and surely that is produced by the seller, so don't understand why it should be paid to the buyers government.  Maybe I'm missing something fundamental, I'm no VAT expert.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 06:13:50 PM »
Just don't get me started on it Claire

It seems very fishy to me.

This is meant to stop the amazons and apples of this world taking advantage of cheap tax rates in certain EU countries.

So.... they maybe make them end up paying 5 percent more in the vat they charge (which their customers pay anyway, not them). Meanwhile - those who are struggling at the lone-trader end of the scale are told to just sell through third parties like amazon.

So amazon actually gain customers using them as a portal.

And we are somehow meant to go clap these politicians and economists on the back like they are doing us some massive favour?

It was CORPORATION tax we want them to pay. You know, those billions they are avoiding left, right and centre. No-one ever gave a stuff about the vat.

This is just some huge smoke and mirrors game to do away with the vat exempt thresholds I believe.

Milking the smallest of companies before they even have chance to grow. Massive own goal at best, disgusting explotation of the less well off again at worst.

Emma

Oh dear, seems I got myself started and riled up again after all!

Meanwhile - all of you need to visit this site if you care about this issue. There is a NEW petition. A SURVEY and request for case studies. Even if outside UK, Europe - in fact especially if you are in Europe they need your voice
http://euvataction.org/

Visit the Take Action page

Emma

MilleD

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 08:26:12 AM »
Whoops, sorry Emma.

I wholely agree about the corporation tax bit - who even mentioned VAT when there was the big hoo har about amazon spiriting all it's profits away to pay a 'charge' from it's Luxembourg location.

Having NO threshold on this is the ridiculous part as everyone is dragged in.

I will sign the petition and try not to wind you up on the subject again  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 08:18:58 AM »
No, do wind me up! If I can kick one more person into signing the petition it will be worth it!

Emma

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »
Emma, a friend of mine just posted something on FB re the Vat Mess.  It is about taking over the handling of the VAT on behalf of small sellers, it may be of help with the processing, but still needs paying, have a look at the link below, may be helpful;

http://payhip.com/blog/payhip-takes-care-of-vat/
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »
Emma, a friend of mine just posted something on FB re the Vat Mess.  It is about taking over the handling of the VAT on behalf of small sellers, it may be of help with the processing, but still needs paying, have a look at the link below, may be helpful;

http://payhip.com/blog/payhip-takes-care-of-vat/

Thanks for that - Payhip does seem to be a solution for many. There are other solutions too.

These are great for keeping trading in the short term. In the long term though, I still believe it is vital to campaign against this change.

To remove thresholds for overseas sales, yet oblige people by law to offer their product to those countries is just wrong. If we let this pass for digital products, it will be an even bigger nightmare when it extends to physical products and will send individual online traders into the dark ages again.

There NEEDS to be thresholds in place. And we need the precedent for that set now - at this stage. We need all people who believe, as I do, that the removal of thresholds will be counter productive to growth to help.

There is a very real possibility that in just a few years - maybe as little as one or two - no-one will be able to sell a single bead or a single pair of earrings to a customer in another EU country without having to sign up for an account for VAT or sell through a third party solution.

It is really important to find workarounds now and be realistic. This IS happening. But the campaign is gaining traction and I do think we CAN get thresholds reinstated if we make enough fuss. So please everyone - find the solution you need, and keep trading. But also, don't give up campaigning. Just signing and sharing the petition will work wonders alone

Emma

Emma

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 10:06:21 AM »
There is this petition which is aimed at the EU rather than just Vince Cable in the UK which l have signed-

https://www.change.org/p/pierre-moscovici-a-unilateral-suspension-of-the-introduction-of-the-new-eu-vat-laws-for-micro-businesses-and-sole-traders?recruiter=44021987&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_facebook_responsive&utm_term=des-lg-signature_receipt-no_msg&utm_content=rp_petition_fb_share_desc%3Acontrol

Thanks for linking to the new petition Carrie

Even if you have signed the previous one to Vince Cable - please can you all check out this petition too and consider signing it. Even if you don't sell digital goods - remember, physical goods are next in their sights!

Other useful link reminders:
EU Vat action site - the hub of the campaign. Check here for links, latest news and ideas of what you can do to help
http://euvataction.org/

Excellent analogy using bananas. If you don't really get what this tax thing is all about - or you just want an enjoyable few minutes anyway, check this out
http://hannahkate.net/hannahs-bananas-a-vatmoss-analogy/

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »
If you're in any doubt about whether we as consumers will be affected, then l can tell you we are.

At the end of December l bought two tutorials l'd been eyeing up on etsy 'just in case' and they have now gone up by approximately one third - the seller has changed to emailing them.   I possibly wouldn't have bought them at the new price so l feel lucky.

So not only have they gone up but you now have to wait a day or two until she emails them.

We'd all got to love the instant gratification provided by pressing a button and instantly receiving your digital goodies - what a terrible shame.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 05:10:50 PM »
We will see more and more of this. Either higher prices, or products just not being available to us in EU countries at all

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 09:31:19 PM »
I removed mine totally. Don´t have the energy for crap like that.
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
Karolina, have you checked out payhip? It might be a better solution than stopping selling altogether? Such a shame if you let them stop you selling tutes. I've heard it is quite easy to set up too

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 06:57:34 AM »
Thanks i checked it out.
Im probably just going to write articles. In a tax sense it is a win win for me.
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian