EJR Beads

Author Topic: Designing A Shop?  (Read 13029 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Re: Designing A Shop?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 10:07:12 AM »
Now you mention it Afrobyte, the blue does look a bit dull.
Yes the images would be clickable thumbnails taking you to a new page with details about the item and more images of it.

Most of the images are of items that I would never sell, at least not as they are now.  The mermaid's tail with the yellow/green hair I couldn't sell at all, since I'd be too afraid of it breaking, and it's so thin and only made of brittle Premo.  If it was made of the stronger Pardo, and perhaps mounted on a nice sturdy backing, like a piece of copper metal made specifically for it - then maybe I would sell it. But not that one, It's just meant I had something else to populate the page.

The Forbidden Fruit one also isn't finished because I'm making a metal bezel thingie for it.
One of the steampunk pendants has the bail placed the wrong way round so it would sit wrong, so couldn't sell that, and anyway it's just a clay bail, not strong enough IMO.
Another of the steampunk pendants has a reinforced bail and is the right way round but I'm not happy with it, it's too chunky a bail to use sensibly, another has a slightly crooked bail...
the point is a lot of them aren't quite right, and I couldn't stand to try selling those, I would only want to sell the good ones, and I don't have enough of those to stock a shop yet.

This is all a learning experience.  And I'm learning lots from you guys and gals.

If I was to dare to sell anything I'd probably start with Etsy, or Facebook or something...
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 04:29:25 PM »
That's what l thought, Fran - a learning process  :)
Premo shouldn't be brittle, btw - it's usually quite flexible after baking, especially on thin pieces.

Lots of people do seem to be selling on FB, don't they.  Seems like a good idea....don't know how they build up their followers though!

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 10:29:52 AM »
That's what l thought, Fran - a learning process  :)
Premo shouldn't be brittle, btw - it's usually quite flexible after baking, especially on thin pieces.

Lots of people do seem to be selling on FB, don't they.  Seems like a good idea....don't know how they build up their followers though!

Yes it does seem like a good idea, but I don't like the thought of trying to sell things on my current facebook page, it's too family oriented, I'd rather have a facebook page just for clay and metal stuff.  But didn't someone say they'd tried to open a 2nd page for such a purpose and couldn't do it?  i.e. you can only have 1 facebook page?
Or maybe it's only one facebook page per email address, so if I started one with a different email... that might work?

But how do you actually sell on facebook?  A facebook page is such a jumble anyway, with widgets for this and that and the other, scattered about madly.  How would a customer find the 'click here to buy this' button?  is there such a thing?

Do they have clickable images to go to close-ups and different views of that object?  Um... lots of facebook type questions, sorry.  I'm just wondering about it all.

If having a seperate facebook page as well as your social/family page were possible, I'd like to begin by just showing things - (but that's because I'm scared of selling) but is that a good idea?  Should you just go straight in and open a 'buy stuff' page rather than hoping to segue from showing to selling gradually?

Hmmm.... this is such a knotty subject.
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 06:05:15 PM »
Yes, we did have a discussion about FB.

l'd love another one for all my polyclaying stuff because l'm reluctant to comment on non-family posts so l don't plague the family with it! 

Up until recently l only had one polyclay 'friend' but l recently added a few more, just people l know face to face, but l'd love to add more!

However, when l tried to set up a different identity, trying to be clever and using a different email addy it still knew it was me  >:( >:( >:(  ln fact, l couldn't even see how to log off from FB which certainly didn't help  :-\  l'm generally fairly confuddled by FB anyway.........

When folk sell on FB l think a would-be purchaser sends them a private message and they arrange it like that.  But how do you get those followers....l guess you need to get yourself known on forums and flickr and so on first.

FB pics are clickable and quite big to start with.    Rather than making them too obviously shop-like the ones l've seen tend to say things like - "this is my new this or that - enjoying making these - what do you think?"  and so on...and wait for the "likes" and the enthusiastic comments  :D

Karolina.S

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 10:57:39 AM »
Use another browser Carrie and i´m sure that you can start a new page with another e-mail adress(idid that). If you use Explorer try Chrome or the other way around.

You can have 2 pages I remade my page some time ago as i made a irreversable mistake with my first one so i just made another just like it and asked people to follow me to the new one. The first page is still there i think, some where in cyber space.

About followers. At first, off course, it would be family and friends, then you share your page in a suttle way in places where it is allowed. Then you start some competitions. Post quality work and try to do so as often as you can. Ask questions to get people to comment, when they comment their friends will se that and maybe like your page. I do not participate in like swaps. It is just a matter of principal, i want people to like what i do and not just like the page to get a like from me in return.
3or 4 years has passed and now the likes started to drop in by them selfs, meaning that people like my page becuase they found it through friends.
So now i get new likers every week.

Like swaps is off course a fast way to get new likers.
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »
That's interesting, Karolina - thanks!

I don't want to sell but l would like to have family and polyclay friends separately, so l might have another go at some stage  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 04:06:38 PM »
I'd also add - there are lots of open source and reasonably priced shopping cart solutions out there - much easier than trying to reinvent the wheel.

Given the horrendously complex tax laws we will see rolled out over the next couple of years too, unless you are very good at coding and enjoy it, you'll have a hard time making a checkout system that meets your legal requirements. The days of us just being able to put up a website with a few paypal buttons are soon behind us and we will be more and more reliant on well coded solutions, plug-ins etc

Of course - you could help us NOW and stop this slippery slope. Visit http://euvataction.org/ and get involved. Seriously - ANYONE who want to sell ANYTHING to people in the UK / Europe needs to wake up to this and get involved. Big changes are afoot that will affect EVERYONE - from the smallest sole trader selling one or two items a year to the multinational companies.

Please sign this petition and add your voice
https://www.change.org/p/pierre-moscovici-a-unilateral-suspension-of-the-introduction-of-the-new-eu-vat-laws-for-micro-businesses-and-sole-traders
Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies