EJR Beads

Author Topic: Designing A Shop?  (Read 13436 times)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Designing A Shop?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »
Regarding the font, l think Times New Roman isn't clear enough and a nice modern font like we have here would look a lot nicer and be much easier to read. Fonts with serifs look old- fashioned to me.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »
Regarding the font, l think Times New Roman isn't clear enough and a nice modern font like we have here would look a lot nicer and be much easier to read. Fonts with serifs look old- fashioned to me.

Here?  I see nothing but TNR.

I have however tried out some different backgrounds on the actual items, and I've tried Tahoma as the font.  I don't like it much, but ... what do you think?
Photos taken on a black (ish) background:

And on Metal:

and on Grey Fur:

Now these last 3, the grey fur, metal and black backgrounded photos are not meant for the page as you see them here, they are meant for the alternative views that you can have on the individual item pages. But I haven't made individual pages yet, so I'm showing them like this... one of these alternatives will be on the main page, I'm just not sure which one.

Obviously the other items will all have the same background in their photos as soon as I can take them all... tired now.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:05:14 PM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 11:00:55 PM »
Oh - how interesting!  I had assumed we all saw the same font here! (Verdana)

I never like TNR - l would find it hard to read. (TNR)

l'm not really following all your different background ideas - you're getting lots of useful input from other people though! (Ariel)

Don't know what the default one is on the forum - well, my default one, anyway, as yours is different from mine ???
Mine could be verdana l think. My favourite font, as a matter of fact.

I like the plainer font for the captions  better than TNR, but it looks a bit heavy in bold - but that's just me ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:03:12 PM by Carrie »

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 11:01:12 AM »
I like the black background for your photos.   As for the font.  It's simple and clear and I think it's fine.

Mel  :)

AfroByte

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 02:36:42 PM »
Rule number one:

ALWAYS keep it simple and follow what the big online sites do. White background and easy to read font!!!!
Because there are many people out there who have sight issues like colour blindness for instance where your item bleeds into the background and they cannot see it properly. They say about 15% of the male population are colour blind with greens/greys/blue tones.

Good large font thats easy to read.

Its not about what you like but what other people see on their computers, laptops, iPads, Kindles, mobiles and any other android device.

ALWAYS look at your website using other computers than your own (Library, friends computers, etc.)

NEVER ask close friends and relatives for their opinion. They will not be honest because they do not want to hurt your feelings.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 10:09:38 PM »
Oh - how interesting!  I had assumed we all saw the same font here! (Verdana)

I never like TNR - l would find it hard to read. (TNR)

l'm not really following all your different background ideas - you're getting lots of useful input from other people though! (Ariel)

Don't know what the default one is on the forum - well, my default one, anyway, as yours is different from mine ???
Mine could be verdana l think. My favourite font, as a matter of fact.

I like the plainer font for the captions  better than TNR, but it looks a bit heavy in bold - but that's just me ;D

Um... well, got a confession to make here, obviously.  My fonts are not goverened by forums, but by my FireFox settings, I have everything set to TNR, because I find that easiest to read, and set to not less than font size 16, because anything smaller isn't readable and I end up craning my neck trying to see and doing a lot of damage to my vertebrae.

Obviously other people don't do the same, so I'll need to pay more attention to what other people think for designing this shop, than to what I think... this, I am finding, is hard to do.  Very hard.
FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »
Rule number one:

ALWAYS keep it simple and follow what the big online sites do. White background and easy to read font!!!!
Because there are many people out there who have sight issues like colour blindness for instance where your item bleeds into the background and they cannot see it properly. They say about 15% of the male population are colour blind with greens/greys/blue tones.

Good large font thats easy to read.

Its not about what you like but what other people see on their computers, laptops, iPads, Kindles, mobiles and any other android device.

ALWAYS look at your website using other computers than your own (Library, friends computers, etc.)

NEVER ask close friends and relatives for their opinion. They will not be honest because they do not want to hurt your feelings.

I'd agree with everything except the white background, as I've heard a lot of other people (not just me) complaining like anything about white backgrounds hurting their eyes, as it does mine, a very pale grey is better, less glaring.
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 10:26:22 PM »
A nice very light blue, like on here, or light grey would be an excellent compromise - easy on the eye.

A further thought about your experiments above - l think the photos are too crowded together and could do with a lot more clear space between each one.    More restful to look at and less busy-looking   :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »
A nice very light blue, like on here, or light grey would be an excellent compromise - easy on the eye.

A further thought about your experiments above - l think the photos are too crowded together and could do with a lot more clear space between each one.    More restful to look at and less busy-looking   :)

Right, thanks Carrie,
How's this:

of course it'll be easier to tell if the image sizes and spacing work once I get it actually uploaded instead of just taking a screen shot like this.
But in the meantime here's a screen shot on previewing it in my FireFox:
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
That looks good  :)  Do you like it?
They'd be clickable thumbnails, right?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:44:12 PM by Carrie »

AfroByte

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 07:16:37 PM »
Sorry, no. Do not agree. The blue looks washed out. Website looks homemade, does not fuel confidence that the shopping experience will be pleasurable.

You need to remember that customers all have different PC's which have different screens. The blue you see may not be the blue the customer sees. Plus browsers all have their own settings, depending on the type the customers use. PC's are all different too. Dont forget Mac's as well. Plus those people who use android phones would have problems when using a colour background as the small screen lets all just run into one another and its difficult to keep your images apart from the background. Customers will just leave and never come back.

Believe me, if Amazon, Ebay, Argos, Lidl, House of Fraser, John Lewis, etc. think they can make better sales or better shopping experiences for their customers they would be the first to change the background colour. If you want to sell, stick to the ground rules. If you are really adamant that you want a different colour then take a very light supple cream/off white colour, anything very close to white. Grey is cold as is blue. This has been a tested science to see which colours get customers to part with their cash, including the layout of the website. Hundreds of books have been written about it.

If the white background is glaring then it could be the computer setting is too bright for the screen. Turn it down a little. Also remember that you want the majority to shop from you, not just a minority.

However to be honest, I change the background colour on my Kindle HD when reading ebooks. I use the peachy/sandy colour background to the white as I find that quite bright, but then I stare at the screen for hours when reading. I tend to start and finish a book at the same time. I am a speed reader, which can be a bane as I spend a lot of money on books. At night I change the background to black with white font, as to not disturb my other half when he sleeps.

AfroByte

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
I forgot to mention that you seem to have a different background for nearly each item. That makes it look very disjointed. Does not give a coherent feel. Best is to use always the same background.

Photos: Also the blueish background is sucking the life out of the blueish square earrings. They are so pretty, but one cannot see it very well. Blueish earrings, on blue background in photo and then blueish website background, just does not work.

Also you could do the photos on the site larger. Two to three in a row would be fine. The gaps are too large inbetween the photos.

But you're doing well as a website builder novice.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 07:59:31 PM »
I'm with you there, AB - I certainly like white best  :)
Ditto pic size, background, etc etc.

I think this is an academic exercise atm, though, isn't it Fran? 

Don't take this the wrong way, but it would be a disaster if you got a shop together, had a few sales, and a few customers weren't completely happy (tho of course they might be 100% happy!).....any negative feedback would wreck your shop for later when you are more experienced. 

While you are still finding your way regarding important things like baking (strength of items), finishing and findings (secure, neat, orientation etc) it isn't a very good idea to sell except to friends yet. :-* :-* :-*  Get some road-testing done  :)

AfroByte

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 08:12:48 PM »
Yup, website building is not easy. It takes hours of practice, practice, practice. Like claying. I am nowhere near to the standard of Fran.
When I look at my first sites, oh boy......

But I take my hat off for you trying to build an online shop. My comments may sound a bit harsh but is not meant to be. I used to critique websites and got paid for it as well. So I am wearing my editor hat.

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 08:33:26 AM »
Just want to say that I agree with AfroByte. As simple as possible should be your starting point. Avoid gradients, colours that might put some people off, (sorry, but the turquoise at the top and the purple look odd together, to me at least) and anything that complicates without being really necessary. Once the basics have been identified, and are there and working, you might start to introduce some personality, which is the fun part I know. . . It's a fiendishly difficult business so don't be downhearted. I don't even have a website right now as I know I will need a lot of time to think it all through first. And for sure when I do make one I will mess up over and over again before it comes right, if it ever does.