« on: October 22, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »
Hi folks,
Here's  what I've been up to the last couple of days:

isn't it wonderful???

I finally have real scrap clay!
ggggggg snigger.

Okay, here's the cane I made in order to get scrap clay:

here's the first slice:

and here's what I've made with it, they aren't baked yet, and I have questions about that:

Close up:

My questions are:
should I bake these like this and stick the stamens in after baking?
should I put a jumpring in now and then bake? 
should I build up the tops of each stamen so I can (somehow) hang each one separately thus giving more movement to these flower bells?
or should I stick the stamens inside the flowers now, add a jumpring and then bake?

or what?

I'm puzzling over this.

In fact, I didn't use the big cane for this but made a smaller cane out of the long bit of scrap and used that up, so I actually have less scrap than the first picture shows. ggg.
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Bells?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:43:09 PM »
Nice colour!

Do you want the stamens to move like the clapper of a bell?  If not, l would add them now. 

If you do then l think l would make the stamens from headpins instead of clay, with your orange blobs over the head part, and make a small loop in the other end so they can swing - they'd be a lot stronger as well.  Bake the stamens and bells before assembling, making a small hole in the top of each bell first.
You wouldn't have to leave the stamens straight - you could give a bit of life to them with gentle curves, like your clay ones.

To hang the bell, rather than use a jump ring, make a loop on the end of a piece of wire (or cut the head off a headpin) and hang the small stamens loops on that, then pass the wire end out of the hole in the top of the bell and make a wrapped or plain loop for hanging.  I would use a headpin through the top whether you used clay or metal stamens.

As you have lots of nice scrap (too good to squidge together!)  why not play around a bit more and maybe bake a few experiments before finishing these?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:48:25 PM by Carrie »

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »
Was my answer any help, Fran?

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:10:40 PM »
Was my answer any help, Fran?

I'm still thinking about it, Carrie.
My head's full of my most recent designs, and I'm also working on finishing off things I've already baked, plus I'm trying to design a shop.

I'm just not entirely sure which way to go - movement and metal stamens, or clay stamens and no movement, but also no breakages.

Plus I don't have any long head pins as yet... only short ones and my pliers keep marring the metal when I try to work with them.  Tool dip not withstanding.
It's certainly helped, yes, I just don't want to rush these as I'm quite pleased with them so far, and if I rush I'll bake and forget the bail - that's what I usually do.
Oh and the orange ends are copper clay and the clay stamens are Premo silver clay, I liked the twisty markings on them.
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:12:59 PM »
If you have no long head pins you can always use wire....if you decided to have metal stamens the copper clay ends would key nicely onto a little loop turned at the end of the wire.

I just wasn't sure if you'd read my answer.....sometimes it does seem as if you ask lots of questions but don't always come back to see if you've had an answer......and it's always nice to be acknowledged when you've taken the trouble to answer someone....just saying..... ;)

It's great to see someone bursting with ideas though!  8)

When l get engineering dilemmas it's very satisfying when l finally come up with a great solution and l can see you're enjoying all your challenges too - very much part of the fun  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »
If you have no long head pins you can always use wire....if you decided to have metal stamens the copper clay ends would key nicely onto a little loop turned at the end of the wire.

I keep forgetting that you can MAKE such things, but I don't do too well making things with wire, unfortunately it's always rather scared looking by the time I've finished.  I need some of those nylon pliers but decent ones that don't get all gnarled up and thus transfer their gnarlishness to the next bit of wire.
Only they will probably be expensive if they even exist.  So I'll have to wait for them.
Luckily on this occasion I'd prefer to keep the clay stamens if I can, simply because I like the twisty pattern I've got in the Premo Silver clay I used for them.

I just wasn't sure if you'd read my answer.....sometimes it does seem as if you ask lots of questions but don't always come back to see if you've had an answer......and it's always nice to be acknowledged when you've taken the trouble to answer someone....just saying..... ;)

I'm so sorry.
I do try to answer every single reply to all my daft questions. Eventually.
But sometimes I get interupted, well sometimes I get interupted a lot!

For instance: We have intercom on my mum's house phone, a handset for which I have up here in our flat-like area, and the other day she phoned me to ask what I'd done with her smallest blue saucepan...
This threw me for a while because neither of us have EVER had any blue saucepans at all.  But I said I'd come down and help her look for it that's all you can do when she's like that.  So down I go, and when I get to the kitchen, there she is, having just taken a small (but not blue at all!) saucepan out of her fridge, filled with some ghastly smelling concoction or other.  Often it's cucumber soup and it's awful stuff, made with cucumbers that have stopped being green sometime ago.  Neither my husband or I can stand it, so it's hard to know for sure if it's off or still alright.  Or if it was ever alright at all...
This sort of thing worries me... in so many ways.

So if something like that happens just when I'm reading my emails or catching up with forum messages or threads, you can see how it can totally derail your train of thought.

If you think I should have said something by now, just give me a nudge, or a link to the thread and I'll deal with it asp.

It's great to see someone bursting with ideas though!  8)

I don't really feel as if I am you know, I feel like such occasions are rare and unusual events.
But then I read somewhere that even the down times, the apparently uncreative times, are all part of a huge creative roll that we are on, and the down times are just when all the ideas are bubbling away under the surface, but you can't see them yet.
Hmmm, I'm not sure I totally agree with that, and even if I did, I'd like to know how to get a ladle full of this bubbling soup of ideas and scatter them over my desk so I can use 'em.

When l get engineering dilemmas it's very satisfying when l finally come up with a great solution and l can see you're enjoying all your challenges too - very much part of the fun  :)

I think it's being able to talk about things, I mean I can sit here with a problem and not talk about it, but just try to solve it on my own... and it's just a cloud of frustration, with the occasional puff of black smoke and sharp stab of pointy lightning stinging your fingers.
But talk about it, and even if the answers are not actually solving anything, somehow they can often get your own brain thinking in a different way, and that can lead to an answer.

The fun is when this happens to you and five different people come up with five MORE different solutions.  Talk about broadening your horizons!  Phew!

So please, don't stop answering my questions, and I'll try to remember which ones I've answered and which I have still to deal with.
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
You're welcome :)