EJR Beads

Author Topic: acrylic paint and resin  (Read 1855 times)

Bibi

acrylic paint and resin
« on: October 18, 2014, 07:18:12 AM »
Hey guys,

I've read acrylic paint works mixed into resin. I want to mix some metallic acrylic paint into it. Just wondering as acrylic paint is water based (I think) would I need to compensate with more hardener or the base resin?

Just worried if I mix it in it wont set properly because it's thrown the mix % off?

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: acrylic paint and resin
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »
I've never mixed acrylic paints into resin, so I can't answer that question.

But do you need to use paints? For metallic effects, I wonder if you might have more predictable results mixing in powders such as mica powers or the Fimo metallic pulver powers?

In my distant memory somewhere, I recall hearing of people mixing oil paints into resin, but I don't think I have heard of using acrylic paints.

Maybe you just need to mix up a tiny amount first and do a test to see how it sets up?
Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Bibi

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »
I've seen a lot of people say acrylic is ok. I only saw one mention oil paint but she said the oil didn't mix properly and left flakes of oil in the finished piece.

Using mica powder is a good idea too, maybe even better for what I want to do (just seal the back of a clay piece but clear resin doesn't hide some imperfections) I think mica is not so dense in colour as a metallic paint will be but should suffice.

I guess I'll just take a shot at using metallic as a tester and add a bit more hardener than usual to see what happens.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »
Your info is probably a lot more up to date than mine - it has been a good few years since I was experimenting with resins.

Maybe Boni has some ideas? She is quite a resin expert around here!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »
Thanks, Emma, 
But, I'm a bit of a purist.  Don't think I've mixed much in.  But, I do have lots of inclusions and a variety of paint. Might try to steal a few minutes and experiment a bit.  Hugs,  Boni

Bibi

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 12:28:28 AM »
I'll report back after my experiment with it  :P

Billski

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 10:57:47 PM »
Hi sorry for the late reply. i have worked with resin and tinted it with acrylics. poster paints, food dyes and all sorts. I have never altered the resin mix, just follow the instructions carefully.

I mainly use water clear resin in model building and white when casting