EJR Beads

Author Topic: How To Begin Selling?  (Read 18348 times)

Karolina.S

Re: How To Begin Selling?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 06:32:46 PM »
I feel that if i´m open about it and it it a cheap tutorial , why not but i saked becuase the subject of selling was up, wouldn´t started a new one and becuase i don´t want people to think i´m a scam :)

I was thinking about his mostly because  my Etsy is so empty with only 1 tutorial :)

Thank´s Emma
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

MyrtleWeed

• FrisbyCreek Arts
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »
I don't see any problem with offering your tutorial for sale Karolina. A lot of people would rather pay a few bucks to get something rather than go to the bother of tracking it down in its original published form.  why not put some of your jewellery on your etsy shop?

Karolina.S

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 06:11:27 PM »
Becuase of the shipping cost Audria.

Than´k you for your input :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 10:54:44 AM »
I haven't been replying to this because I wasn't getting notifications for this thread. (Arrrggghhh!)
Probably because I got one notification and then got distracted by something before I went to read the thread on the forum and then the email with the notification got swamped by a load of other emails.

Or maybe I just didn't get an email, at all??? who knows.
Anyway at least I've found it now.

Okay, so my first query from what people have said is - what is 20 cents to me here in the UK?
Do they charge the exact equivalent in Sterling or do they charge 20p a go?

No one said anything about a start up cost, is there not one?
Do they charge if you later decide to put an item on sale? or is that counted as a new posting and thus another 20... whatevers?

What if you make what you consider is a mistake about the price and want to change it? Is that another 20 cents?

@MyrtleWeed,
There are teams on etsy?  How do you find them? (especially if you don't know what you are looking for to start with. (aka: me))

@MillieD,
Interesting, thanks, how do I find out which things are NOT tax deductable? (and which things ARE?) (I've got a feeling Emma's articles might have had something about this... got a feeling I've heard something about it somewhere anyway)

Yes all is interesting and helpful.

@KarolinaS
I think I'm with Emma on this in that I'd take a good look at the tutorials and see if there is anything you could add to them (for instance, do you maybe have a better camera now and could thus take better pictures, maybe you've found out that some things work better now than when you 1st wrote the tut, like if it was using a transluscent clay, maybe the clay makers have changed their formula and now their new trans works better for this, or the trans of a different make works better, or just gives a different result, or maybe you've done this same effect but by now you've used different colour combinations. You could add pics of these as alternatives.  Anything like that would give added value to your original tutorials and would I think help you feel better about offering them again.

@Emma,
I don't think you should have any qualms about the publishers getting some of your tuts published in magazines when they are already in your books, a) this is good advertising, and b) I'd think people who had the books might see the tutorial in the magazine, and just feel like hugging the book to themselves and thinking "Yes, but I've got ALL of them here!"  Smugly.

@Karolina.S,
Could you not add the shipping cost and see if there are any takers?  You might be surprised.
Also much the same argument as for Emma's tuts applies to yours, people could track down the magazines and buy back issues, but they could also not have that hassle and just buy the tuts alone from your shop - that way they could also buy all the tuts at once as a collection if you offer that.  Maybe knocking a little bit off for that option? Up to you though.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:56:44 AM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge

Karolina.S

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 11:01:01 AM »
Thank you for your input Fran :)

There is no setup cost and i pay my bill in dollars thru Paypal with the money that i have there. Only when i want to cash the money into my bank account they will change into SEK .But i might just as well use them when i buy online.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 02:20:12 PM »
I haven't been replying to this because I wasn't getting notifications for this thread. (Arrrggghhh!)
Probably because I got one notification and then got distracted by something before I went to read the thread on the forum and then the email with the notification got swamped by a load of other emails.

Hi Fran - rather than email notifications which might be missed in with all your other emails, why not do as l do - when you visit the forum click on the line that says "Show unread posts since last visit".  It's right at the top, under where it will say "Hello Fran", next to your avatar.

MilleD

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 08:32:41 AM »
I didn't know you could get email notifications  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 10:01:58 AM »
Fran

You can set your Etsy to show your prices in Sterling.

When I list an item there, it shows me the list price in sterling and it is currently 13p per item. I suspect this would alter with the exchange rate however. But that gives you a ballpark

There is a Seller's Handbook on Etsy  - various pages you can read to familiarise yourself with starting out there.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MrsH

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 04:41:39 PM »
Karolina as the editor of one of the UK's jewellery making mags, I don't think you need to worry about the moral issue, Emma is right just put a small credit on the tutorial somewhere that says first seen in xx and make sure anyone knows that before they buy and then you are covered. As Emma said if they want to track down a back issue they have the choice.

On the subject of selling and tax. If you earn under £2,000 (actual figure slightly higher but can't remember the exact!) then you don't need to declare it to HMRC, that's a fact I got straight from the Press office of HMRC! so I know it's right. They have that in as a leeway for individuals selling the odd bit on eBay or to cover the costs of a hobby.

Sian

Karolina.S

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »
Thank you .
May i ask wich mag?

MilleD

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »

On the subject of selling and tax. If you earn under £2,000 (actual figure slightly higher but can't remember the exact!) then you don't need to declare it to HMRC, that's a fact I got straight from the Press office of HMRC! so I know it's right. They have that in as a leeway for individuals selling the odd bit on eBay or to cover the costs of a hobby.

Sian

I'm not sure where this piece of info comes from and could get people in a bit of trouble, do you have it in writing?

If you make any income from business activities it must be declared.  You can sell off the old crap in your loft and probably not declare it as that is not a business activity but once you are trading you must declare it.

Whether it is then taxed is a different thing entirely and based on your total income and outgoings.  If you also have a job that is added to the mix, unless you set up a company for the trading activity then it becomes corporation tax on the company and not income tax on you personally.

MyrtleWeed

• FrisbyCreek Arts
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 09:44:07 PM »
@MyrtleWeed,
There are teams on etsy?  How do you find them? (especially if you don't know what you are looking for to start with. (aka: me))

Fran, not sure how step by step you need me to be here, but first you scroll to the bottom of the page where it has lots of links to different parts of the site. Under the heading "join the community" you'll see a link to teams. Click that and it will take you to the page where all the teams are listed. On the left there are these 5 links...
Community
events
online labs
teams
forums
Click on teams then underneath the search bar where it says active teams, click see all. There are thousands of teams I think, it is just a matter of scrolling through till you find ones that interest you. You can also start your own team. For recommendations for teams to join - teams local to where you live - sometimes these have meet ups and events. Teams that help you with understanding how etsy works. SEO teams, they help you understand how to write up your descriptions and tags to help you get found in etsy and google searches.

Hope that is helpful.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »
I didn't know you could get email notifications  :)

Yes, look under "Attachments and other options" and check "Notify me of replies", or if you don't want to reply to anything just click on "Notify" at the top of the thread.
FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »

Hi Fran - rather than email notifications which might be missed in with all your other emails, why not do as l do - when you visit the forum click on the line that says "Show unread posts since last visit".  It's right at the top, under where it will say "Hello Fran", next to your avatar.

Thanks Carrie, doing that now, and remembering to do it more often too.
FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »
Fran

You can set your Etsy to show your prices in Sterling.

When I list an item there, it shows me the list price in sterling and it is currently 13p per item. I suspect this would alter with the exchange rate however. But that gives you a ballpark

There is a Seller's Handbook on Etsy  - various pages you can read to familiarise yourself with starting out there.

Emma

Oooh, I didn't know you could do that, thanks, and yes, I'll hunt around for that handbook too.

@MyrtleWeed,

Fran, not sure how step by step you need me to be here, but first you scroll to the bottom of the page where it has lots of links to different parts of the site. Under the heading "join the community" you'll see a link to teams. Click that and it will take you to the page where all the teams are listed. On the left there are these 5 links...
Community
events
online labs
teams
forums
Click on teams then underneath the search bar where it says active teams, click see all. There are thousands of teams I think, it is just a matter of scrolling through till you find ones that interest you. You can also start your own team. For recommendations for teams to join - teams local to where you live - sometimes these have meet ups and events. Teams that help you with understanding how etsy works. SEO teams, they help you understand how to write up your descriptions and tags to help you get found in etsy and google searches.

Hope that is helpful.

Yes, very helpful, thanks. (and I did need it step by step, as this is the first time and with my unfamiliarity with Etsy too), you've answered another question I had too about SEO.  I knew you needed that if you had your own website, but wasn't sure if you needed that on Etsy too, I guess you do then.

Now on Tax, I've found out that you don't need to pay VAT unless and until you are earning £81,000 per year, I got that from here: https://www.gov.uk/vat-registration and on Income Tax: https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates I understand from there that most people's allowance is £10,000 per year, but note that this says 'Most People' not ALL People, you'd probably have to search further to find out who the others are...
It seems that some state benefits are taxable too.
I know that my husband's Army pension is taxable, but that's just because he's still working, once he retires that Army pension will no longer be taxable.  So it's ruddy hard to work all this out.
FranOnTheEdge