EJR Beads

Author Topic: How To Begin Selling?  (Read 20261 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
How To Begin Selling?
« on: October 17, 2014, 08:39:16 PM »
If you want to begin selling on say Etsy:
How much does it cost?

Is it simple to begin with?  Or is it really as complex as all the threads here seem to be implying?

Do you need to understand tax?

What do you need to have ready to begin with, before you start a shop?
(Yes, packaging, cost of packaging. etc)
But how do you work out how much of a packet of (for instance) white clay did that necklace actually use?

What if you bought something ... 10 years ago, but you only used it yesterday for the first time?  And you can't remember how much it cost you back then?

P.S. Yes I've been reading lots of the stuff on the 'Business' part of the forum, but there's so much of it, that it's hard to follow.
FranOnTheEdge

monkey ann

• Illuminati
Re: How To Begin Selling?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:15:32 AM »
Hardly done any selling.

Costing a piece is more based on the time it took to make it. 
If you really wanted to be able to cost the amount of clay used, just weigh it. There may be a small difference in the weight of cured and raw clay, but not enough to worrying about.

Ann from Croydon, Surrey

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:58:54 AM »
Etsy costs twenty cents to put something up for sale for four months. They take a small percentage of the sale price too.
Have a look at other stuff being sold and guage your prices accordingly. The amount of clay is not really the issue, it's your unique creative input and time taken that dictates the price, that and and what you can realistically get for it in your view.
Read up about keywords and other SEO issues and bear them in mind ( join an SEO team or two ). Take good photographs. The issue on Etsy is being seen. Follow some people you like, fave some stuff and you'll get some in return, at least you'll feel less like a drop in the ocean if that happens ;-) if you post on the forums you will get a big spike in views and likes, but these are not likely to result in sales, just a useful ego boost ;-) There is loads of advice online about how to do all of the above, trouble is it could take three lifetimes to read it all and it's hard to sort out the good advice from the less useful. . .
It doesn't cost much to put a few things on there and see what happens. Get lucky. .
Jon

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:40:58 PM »
If you want to sell, you do have to inform the tax office.

I cannot recall if you get a grace period to do this. It used to be you had to inform them within 3 months of starting to sell, but I don't know if that holds true or not.

The tax office do scope out Etsy, ebay etc too - so it is wise to make sure all your ducks are in a row before starting out.

You might find the pricing and selling articles on my site useful for some of your other questions

http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/sellingjewellery.htm
http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/pricingjewellery.htm

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:07:45 PM »
Emma's advice is fab!! Well worth a look!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:23:53 AM »
Emma's advice is fab!! Well worth a look!

Why thank you!  ;D

MyrtleWeed

• FrisbyCreek Arts
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 04:53:34 PM »
I found etsy very difficult to understand at first. I gave up on my first attempt at an etsy shop, but when I came back a year later I found I could manage it. I'm not very tech savvy though, most people would be better than I.

Cost wise as Jon said it's not very expensive. 20cents to list an item, and etsy takes a small percentage of the sale price, plus paypal also take a percentage of the transaction.

I was already registered with HMRC so didn't have that issue. But taxes themselves are not that difficult. It's mostly just being organised, keeping notes, with receipts where possible  of all of your  income and expenditure-  materials costs, postage costs, etsy and paypal fees, and any other fees involved in selling - if you have a website for example. Oh and remember to get your tax return in on time.

There are a lot of nice teams on etsy where people are always happy to help you out.

I'm happy to help in whatever way I can if you run into problems setting up an etsy shop.

MilleD

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 06:39:09 PM »
I think the 3 months grace for registration still holds.

Personally I see the best reason for registering as early as possible is that if you don't sell very much in the first year but your costs are still there for buying materials and tools etc, you can make a 'loss' and carry that forward to the first year in which you make a profit.

Don't forget though, any stuff you allocate against tax needs to be 'wholely and exclusively' for the use of the 'business'.

Caveat:  some things are not tax deductable.

Source:  I'm an accountant.

:)

MilleD

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »
Was any of the advice useful Fran?

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 09:35:37 AM »
Was any of the advice useful Fran?

I'm hoping Fran will come back to this thread and let everyone know if their advice has been helpful. However, I know this thread will be really valueable for ANYONE interested in selling. So on behalf of all the silent readers, present and future, I thank you all!

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »
Can i join in and ask a related question rather than starting a new thread?

What is your opinion about selling a tutorial that has been published? I have been thinking of selling one or 2 tutorials that already have been published in either Polymer café or From polymer to art but i´m not sure if that is ok.
I would sell them for 5 dollars.
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Karolina.S

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »
The neccesary time has past so i can use them as i want.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 02:35:34 PM »
Do you mean selling a tutorial that you wrote for that magazine?

Much would depend on the contract originally signed with the magazine. Do they own the copyright or did you retain it? What about the photos, etc

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 06:09:23 PM »
No i mean morally. Would it be wrong towards a potential buyer.

As i added the neccesary time has passed and the tutorials again are all mine to do what i please with. (not with all my published but atleast 2) That is the kind of contract i have with them. 1-2 years until i could use them.  Pictures are mine taken by me.

I asked becuase i could sell it and i could write that it has been published and sell it at a low price. But maybe buyers think it is morally wrong to sell something that they could find in a back issue.
So i asked you guys.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 06:27:04 PM »
I see what you mean.

I've wondered this in the past myself.

But I think no - I don't see a moral problem. For me though, I expect I would tell people it was first published in such-and-such magazine. If they decide to track down that back issue that is their choice. If they instead decide to buy my modern, updated tutorial based on it - well great!

When I wrote the books, from time to time the publishers would arrange for craft magazines to publish one of the projects in the magazine by way of a promotion for the book and free content for the magazine.

I felt the same moral twang then - that people who have paid for the book might see one of the tutorials published in a craft magazine. I decided that really, life is too short to worry about these things.

Emma