EJR Beads

Author Topic: Stuff I'm working on  (Read 33399 times)

JamesTheSculptor

• The Thoughts of James the Person
Re: Stuff I'm working on
« Reply #285 on: May 21, 2017, 09:53:27 PM »
As usual quite brilliant work, any Doctor will do for me! Loved Mark Gatiss tv series on horror films can't wait for them to repeat it(great likeness too).

Thank you very much! Gatiss is a bit of a hero of mine and his horror series was superb. I always try to catch them when they get repeated. Unfortunately because of the copyright of the clips and bits and pieces they feature in the programme, it'll more than likely never be released. A great shame.

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #286 on: May 21, 2017, 09:55:11 PM »
One day I may be brave enough to attempt a human. That day is not today  ;D These are amazing! I'm not jealous and I'm not green....honestly! :)

Faces are fascinating. We see them everyday and yet they are one of the most difficult things to recreate, and to have an ounce of life in them is even harder. I feel I have only *just* managed something close to both!
You should try it sometime, I LOVE seeing other people sculpting faces, I really really do.
Thank you so much! And I look forward to seeing what you do next!

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #287 on: May 21, 2017, 09:56:07 PM »
I think Mark would love being portrayed so, great likeness as usual!

Ha! So do I. I did actually Tweet it to him after I finished it, but alas he didn't respond. He must get that sort of thing all the time!
Thank you. You are too kind.

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #288 on: May 21, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »
So I've been away for a little, mainly because I've not been feeling very much on my game of late and also been trying to get some writing going. Had a couple little sculpting moments but they didn't really come to anything.
I have something new however. Well. Kind of new. I started it in October of last year and only just completed it because of it's topicality.

Like many others I can not wait for the new series of Twin Peaks and wanted to do something to mark it.
I'd tried sculpting Kyle Maclachlan as Special Agent Dale Cooper a couple years back to really not that much success, then again a little later to only a fraction of success. This time I feel I have hit the mark, but only just.
To be fair it wasn't originally intended to be Cooper but Maclachlan's character from Dune whose name both escapes my memory and ability to spell it. It was tentatively going to be a puppet for a friend's project which would have been composited into a CGI landscape etc. But it really didn't leave the initial stages and got left behind. Basically I wanted an excuse to sculpt him and there it was.

Anyway, here he is!

Anyway, hope you like him!

jackster

« Reply #289 on: May 22, 2017, 02:29:15 PM »
Excellent work as usual James. I love your attention to detail, the eyes are amazing and I think it is these that really bring a face to life or kill it completely. Yours are really really good!!!

Cheers

Jackster

Beadbug

« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2017, 11:44:46 PM »
Hi James, hope you're feeling better. Spotted the likeness straight away, one f my most favourite tv series I'll be watching tomorrow. The character he played in Dune, was Paul Atreides(?), later Muad'dib as leader of the Fremen. If I sound like a bit of an anorak, I'm not, just love the Dune series having read them all except for two that were written by his son and a co-author,can't remember his name.

shotgunsuzie

« Reply #291 on: July 05, 2017, 05:01:03 AM »
James love your work love the eyes on your characters especially, what clay do you use for the eyes?

MilleD

« Reply #292 on: July 06, 2017, 08:35:06 AM »
Hi James, hope you're feeling better. Spotted the likeness straight away, one f my most favourite tv series I'll be watching tomorrow. The character he played in Dune, was Paul Atreides(?), later Muad'dib as leader of the Fremen. If I sound like a bit of an anorak, I'm not, just love the Dune series having read them all except for two that were written by his son and a co-author,can't remember his name.

Yep, correct on both counts.

I remember reading the 'folding space' theory when I was younger and it completely blew my mind.

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #293 on: August 08, 2017, 12:06:01 PM »
Excellent work as usual James. I love your attention to detail, the eyes are amazing and I think it is these that really bring a face to life or kill it completely. Yours are really really good!!!

Cheers

Jackster

Thank you very much! The eyes really are the window onto the soul, so for me if there isn't life in the eyes or at least a glimmer, then the sculpture doesn't work. There have been many where I feel I've missed the mark and have no life in the piece in question. Its tough, but I like to think I'm getting somewhere!

Many thanks!

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #294 on: August 08, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »

I've never properly watched Dune, the whispered internal monologues bug me for some reason.
Being an anorak is fine, it means you're paying attention and I'm sure the creators of these things would be very proud to know their work is held in such high esteem!

Thank you very much, I'm very glad you saw Mr Maclachlan in my sculpture!

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #295 on: August 08, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »
James love your work love the eyes on your characters especially, what clay do you use for the eyes?

Thank you very much, the eyes really do have it, for me. They're so important to a likeness.
I don't use anything special for the eyes really. I usually just sculpt in the flesh tone of Super Sculpey and then paint them after. These days I do add a colour clay element for the iris and pupils but nothing more.
For more simplistic or cartoony sculptures I do try to make the eyes out of block colour as I would do the iris or hair or clothing or whathaveyou, I feel it helps the stylistics.
So nothing special. Just colour Sculpey or FIMO.

Thank you very much!

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #296 on: August 08, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »
So, yet again I've been away for a while. I feel I've sort of slowly gotten out of the funk I was in when I last posted.

What have I been up to? When nothing new to be honest. Back making more Doctor Who related pieces what with the series being back and having since gone.
I'll rattle through the things I've done since I last posted.

Peter Capaldi and (a rather sketchy and unsatisfying attempt) Pearl Mackie from Doctor Who.

The comedian Bob Monkhouse, who I've always loved.

Peter Capaldi again.

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #297 on: August 08, 2017, 12:18:59 PM »
Michelle Gomez from Doctor Who.

To go with Capaldi-

Rather excitingly, Jodie Whittaker as the soon-to-be 13th Doctor. (Possibly the first ever sculpture of her)

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #298 on: August 08, 2017, 12:22:05 PM »
Natalia Dyer as Nancy from Stranger Things.
Perhaps of interest?
what clay do you use for the eyes?

A tribute to one of my absolute, all-time favourite actors, Robert Hardy, who died aged 95.

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #299 on: August 08, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »
I wrote to Hardy back in 2012 and got a really really lovely reply. Fabulous handwriting.

And finally, Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones.

"Why did it have to be cats?"

And that more or less brings you up to date.
I do hope you're all doing fine and keeping busy!