EJR Beads

Author Topic: Stuff I'm working on  (Read 57256 times)

JamesTheSculptor

• The Thoughts of James the Person
Re: Stuff I'm working on
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 06:20:53 PM »
Hello all, an update on my David McCallum as Steel (from Sapphire and Steel) sculpture. I think I've gone a little cold on the idea of adding 'real" hair to this sculpt as its just ridiculously hard. I hate applying hair.
Indeed I'm wondering if its worth continuing with this piece and trying again with a fresh new sculpt with the aim of sculpting the hair rather rooting it.
Its not helped by the fact I'm increasingly thinking the likeness is a bit duff.
Anyway, here's a few pics:

I do think that it works reasonably well for this angle though V-below-V.

I'm feeling like this piece is a couple steps backwards for me actually. There's no life in it. Thats the trouble with sculpting someone like McCallum or Cumberbatch or whoever, because they're "in-character" expressions are usually serious and flat.
Hell for a sculptor who likes capturing life I can tell you.

Anyway, I thought you should see it anyway.

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »
Don't be disheartened. Couldn't you sculpt some kind of wig thing to go on his head? The trouble with D McCallum is that his big head and thatch of hair are a lot of what we recognise him from. The face is good but it won't look enough like him without some attempt at hair imho. As for the deadpan facial expressions on him and Mr Cumbersome, I see your dilemma, if you want an elastic expressive face, maybe you should do Rowan Atkinson next? ;-))

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2014, 11:12:37 AM »
Don't be disheartened. Couldn't you sculpt some kind of wig thing to go on his head? The trouble with D McCallum is that his big head and thatch of hair are a lot of what we recognise him from. The face is good but it won't look enough like him without some attempt at hair imho. As for the deadpan facial expressions on him and Mr Cumbersome, I see your dilemma, if you want an elastic expressive face, maybe you should do Rowan Atkinson next? ;-))

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I only wanted to give this sculpt real hair because I didn't like the idea of sculpting his cranium which holds so much of the likeness, only to hide it away under the clay.
Anyway I've had a play with the hair that I bought, it was essentially a pompom that I pulled apart and it doesn't look *too* bad. The trouble with any hair at this scale is giving it weight and volume, something I'm just not good at. And I didn't like the idea of covering it with gel to form a shape because that seemed a little counter-intuitive.

I'm extremely unsure though. I think the likeness is loose and could be better. Another problem I think is that I had no idea what I was going to do with this sculpt. I now have a better idea that would suit a more expressive appearance. Something a little more impressionistic rather than figurative. But only just. So I'll hopefully start that soon.

Anyway, I hope you like him.

Karolina.S

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2014, 11:41:53 AM »
I di like him! He is just as good as the others.
Maybe he is a bit thin? Ducky has a rounder face or more cheeks?

Anyway he is very good and well made and i can totally see the likeness!

Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Billski

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2014, 11:53:17 AM »
I disagree the older Mcallam is gaunt looking and the sculpt is grear likeness. Brilliant work ans very inspiring

JonB

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 12:13:05 PM »
True. I still remember Illya Kuriyakin so my mental image is a bit out of date ;-)

Karolina.S

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »
I kno whim as Ducky so ..... :)
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2014, 11:48:14 AM »
I kno whim as Ducky so ..... :)

Me too, so I agree with Karolina.  He definitely looks better with hair though.  I still think he's fantastic!!  You're probably a bit like me though, in that it has to be just right in your eyes and only then will it be good enough.

Mel  :)

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »
Hello all, thanks for the lovely comments. Terribly appreciated.
I've since started working on a new McCallum/Steel sculpt possibly with an eye to making a Sapphire and Steel pair with Joanna Lumley, but we shall see.
Here are a few progress pics...

He's ruddy hard to get right I can tell you.

Anyway, I hope you like him!

JonB

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
Nice. The previous one looked a bit worried somehow. This one is more confident looking, both in the facial expression and the modeling.

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »
Wow again!!  I think you've got this one perfect!!

Mel   :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
True. I still remember Illya Kuriyakin so my mental image is a bit out of date ;-)
Yes, l only remember him as lllya!
What amazing sculpts - l'm completely blown away by your skill   8)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 07:02:30 PM »
I used to love that program when I was a kid. You've got the look of him totally! I am hugely impressed how you can capture a likeness so well. I take my hat off to you!

My dad had a HUGE thing for Joanna Lumley actually. She lived in Wimbledon, as did we at the time and dad saw her in Sainsburies one day without her make-up on and his love for her seemed to wane after that  ::) ::) ::) Lol - good thing my mum still puts her slap on everyday then I guess!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 07:23:16 PM »
Nice. The previous one looked a bit worried somehow. This one is more confident looking, both in the facial expression and the modeling.

Oh thats a wonderful comment thank you, I think you're right though. I think the first sculpt was tentative and definitely felt like a step back in a way. Not quite as rounded. The new one definitely feels more finished in my mind.

Wow again!!  I think you've got this one perfect!!

Mel   :)

Ha! Well perfect perhaps pushes it a little far but than you. I appreciate the hyperbole nonetheless :)

Yes, l only remember him as lllya!
What amazing sculpts - l'm completely blown away by your skill   8)

Why thank you. It occurred to me recently I've been sculpting like this for nearly ten years now. Quite a thing actually.

I used to love that program when I was a kid. You've got the look of him totally! I am hugely impressed how you can capture a likeness so well. I take my hat off to you!

My dad had a HUGE thing for Joanna Lumley actually. She lived in Wimbledon, as did we at the time and dad saw her in Sainsburies one day without her make-up on and his love for her seemed to wane after that  ::) ::) ::) Lol - good thing my mum still puts her slap on everyday then I guess!

Emma

Oh that is marvellous. It means a lot to me to hear this from an S&S fan, he being so difficult to get right.
Pahaha aw, poor Joanna, she is divine though. Her voice. Gosh. Soothing isn't the word.

JonB

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2014, 08:03:17 PM »
Could we keep your dad's 'huge thing' out of this conversation, there may be kid's reading. .  ;-)