EJR Beads

Author Topic: Stuff I'm working on  (Read 57310 times)

JamesTheSculptor

• The Thoughts of James the Person
Re: Stuff I'm working on
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 10:02:38 AM »
He's fantastic!!

Mel  :)

Why thank you Mel :D

Really looking good. I have to admit that i have never seen doctor hwo.

Thank you very much Karolina, I hope my work appeals even to non-fans :)

Amazing painting skills you have, the eyes have it!!! I would be interested in how you got the eyes sovery realistic

My painting skills are actually pretty basic, the eyes are an illusion actually. Recently I started sculpting the irises by pressing dimples into the eyes which gives them an added dimension when they're painted. As you can see:

The skin isn't painted at all apart from a light coat of gloss to give it a bit of depth.
But thank you! You're too kind

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 10:34:12 PM »
Hello all.
So, Peter Capaldi is pretty much finished now and I shall be posting a couple proper pics of him completed tomorrow.
I've now started on a new project which has rather got me fair bit excited.

My oldest friend of nearly 20 years(!) and I share a deep love for the '60s sci-fi drama series The Prisoner starring the ultimate individual that was Patrick McGoohan.
His birthday is coming up and I was suddenly hit with the idea of making him something and making a little bust of McGoohan seemed a fine idea. So I set to work this evening.

At first it was like pulling teeth as McGoohan has always ALWAYS been a fiddly and near impossible face to capture.
It took perhaps a good hour to get into it and perhaps two hours in full to get it to where it is now, which is pretty much done, facially speaking.

I know it looks a little creepy, but these things do at this stage.
I'm pretty surprised with how well it works and can't wait to add the hair and the final details.
He's sculpted from regular Super Sculpey but the lighting and filter make it look a little orangey.
Anyway, I hope you guys like him!

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 08:05:43 AM »
Great stuff. "I'm not a poly clay model, I'm a Man!"

Billski

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »
excellent likeness

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 09:28:45 PM »
So! More pictures of my recent Peter Capaldi sculpture.

Hope you like him!

Karolina.S

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »
Yep, i like him!
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 06:38:44 PM »
Me too!!  He's fantastic!!

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »
Yep, i like him!

Why thank you!

Me too!!  He's fantastic!!

Many thanks Mel!

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 02:01:50 PM »
And so back to McGoohan.
I finished sculpting the head including hair and ears over the past day or so and I'm pretty happy with it I have to say.

I've tried sculpting McGoohan before, several times in fact, and he is LUDICROUSLY tricky to get right. This time round I think I may have got him. I think I might have captured something of him this time and I feel terribly pleased with it so far.
I'm going to keep his hair as it is, which is a little rough and raw, but I like that on this bust for some reason. It gives texture and I think texture, along with personality, are vital to a sculpture's success.

I'll be continuing with the rest of the bust shortly.

Hope you like him!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:03:36 PM by JamesTheSculptor »

Billski

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 02:30:59 PM »
excellent work it is a terrific likeness

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »
excellent work it is a terrific likeness

Thanks enormously! I think I've done a goodish job on this one, McGoohan has been a subject I've come back to again and again and never fully got him. This time round I think I did something right.

ANYWAY, something new.

Recently I discovered the show Sapphire and Steel from the late 70's which features Joanna Lumley and David McCallum in the respective roles and completely fell in love with it.
I'd always been aware of the show as a Doctor Who fan but never did our paths cross.
I'm extremely happy that they did now.

Anyway I've become fascinated with David McCallum's little furtive face. For some reason it in junction with his mop of 70's hair reminds me of a little bird, his beaky nose and mouth giving him something of a Robin's aura. NO idea why. I don't normally respond this way to faces.
But there you go.
I wanted to try sculpting him as I thought his appearance was rather peculiar and I could, somehow, see elements of a very young Sylvester McCoy or even David Tennant in his face and finally I got round to starting it last night.
It took maybe an hour or two but I really like where its going.
I'm toying with the idea of applying "real" hair to the sculpt to give it an extra pop of life, we but shall see.

(For our American friends, McCallum is perhaps mainly known for playing Ducky in NCIS or Illya Kuryakin from The Man from U.N.C.L.E)

I'm pretty happy with how he's coming together and it was pretty fun to work on.
Anywho, I hope you like him! 

Billski

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 07:01:08 PM »
straight away you can tell by the eyes that this David. I do remember the Man from UNCLE

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 09:09:56 AM »
Very nice. David M was in the Colditz tv drama series I remember. The hair will be the clincher though likeness wise.

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 10:12:11 AM »
You are just so good at sculpting faces.  The expression that you are able to capture is absolutely amazing!!  They are both fantastic!!  I'm a bit of an NCIS fan and I recognised Ducky straight away!

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 12:36:31 PM »
straight away you can tell by the eyes that this David. I do remember the Man from UNCLE

Why thank you! His eyes are very important to his likeness I think. I'm very happy they came to be very quickly.

Very nice. David M was in the Colditz tv drama series I remember. The hair will be the clincher though likeness wise.

HA Don't I know it! (No pressure!) Sculpting the hair will be the last resort for me really. For me another big aspect of his likeness is his cranium, which is rather large and round. To simply sculpt hair over it would be a shame.

You are just so good at sculpting faces.  The expression that you are able to capture is absolutely amazing!!  They are both fantastic!!  I'm a bit of an NCIS fan and I recognised Ducky straight away!

Gosh shucks thanks Mel, that means a lot to me. I've definitely been moving into more expressive pieces this past year and I feel my skill has definitely improved because of it.
I'm glad you could see Ducky though, that's promising!