EJR Beads

Author Topic: Testing Finishes  (Read 8451 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Testing Finishes
« on: September 15, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
Hi all,
Here are the results of my first tests with floor wax on polyclay with mica powders on it:
First here are the test tiles where I used a net bag that had held glass pebbles from Wilco's to create a texture, then I brushed Cosmic Shimmer mica powders onto the raw clay, then baked, then painted floor wax (Pledge, formerly known as Prince... I mean Klear) onto the right hand side only - two coats:

Next comes a little fishy shape also with Cosmic Shimmer mica powders brushed onto the raw clay, but this time it's the tiny pot of Apple Green and a bit of the Sapphire Ultra on the tips of the tail fin and right hand fin.  Then I baked it, then I painted 2 coats of floor wax as above onto the right hand side only.

Next are 2 intended earrings, stamped with a carved stamp designed by me, Baked, then Super Bronze Pearl-Ex (which comes up like copper) painted on with Gum Arabic, then Floor wax painted all over, the gum arabic ran and it looked like there was hardly any copper colour so as I couldn't find the Super Bronze Pearl-Ex I thought it might have been Dark Bronze Cosmic Shimmer so I added some of that to the floor wax and now I hate it, it's run where I don't want it, and it's looks dull anyway.  So don't do that.

Now all that sounds like a disaster, but I have a plan, and it's because of this:

Now here I painted on Super Bronze Pearl-Ex with Gum Arabic, but just on the fingers of this casting of a doll's hand, and I then painted on floor wax but again, just on the fingers where the colour was.  It worked beautifully!

I was thinking of my long spiral piece where I have painted the same copper with gum arabic on just the edges of the spiral shape, so if painting more floor wax or gloss glaze onto the rest of the doll's hand works without spreading the colour where I don't want it, then I can do the same to the spiral and hey presto, copper just on the edges!!  Way hay!
By the way, thinking about the suggestion of baking a blob of resin to see what happens at clay baking temperatures, I thought of re-baking this:

There's a sort of corner piece to the right of the copper blank, it has resin flooded over the top and still has clay underneath, it's no good for anything else so I may as well use it as a test.
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Testing Finishes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:00:32 PM »
Cool experiments

I love the way varnish really brings out the shine and colour of mica powders. They have a very nice, dusty effect before varnishing, but after varnishing they just go that little bit nicer in my opinion and really pop

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:22:51 PM »
Great work Fran!  You've been busy!!  The mica shows up beautifully under the Pledge.  I totally love you moon and stars!!  They are lovely!!

Mel  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »
Great work Fran!  You've been busy!!  The mica shows up beautifully under the Pledge.  I totally love you moon and stars!!  They are lovely!!

Er.... oops!  I didn't like the moon & sun pieces, so I washed the floor wax and mica powders off. I hope to get a more accurate result next time - plus I've had an idea for the sun... and I'd like to get the same effect on the crescent moon, but I can't figure out how to do that yet... I might be able to show you once I have it fugured out... if I can...
FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 08:15:16 PM »
By the way all, talking of finishes, I just phoned up Daler Rowney and it seems that their 'Acrylic Soluble Gloss Varnish' is okay to use on Polymer clay, which is great for me 'cos I have 1 whole bottle and 3/4 of a bottle of it left from when I used to paint with acrylics.
FranOnTheEdge

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 08:49:14 PM »
That's good to know about the varnish, Fran.  Looking forward to seeing your revamped sun & moon.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »
That's good to know about the varnish, Fran.  Looking forward to seeing your revamped sun & moon.

Well here's what I've got so far.

I've been playing with wire, the 28g purple, and I can do a nice coil for the sun, but when it comes to doing something similar for the moon, I'm stuck.  Here's the sun:

but the moon, trying to start with the outside of the crescent:

and trying to shape it from the inside of the crescent:

also doesn't quite work... and I'm not sure how to do it - any ideas?

Here are the two sets of stamps I've made for the sun moon theme, both carved in slightly different ways as you see:
FranOnTheEdge

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:33:38 AM »
Fran, I really love love love those sun and moon stamps.  Why do you want to add wire to them?  I think they're great without it!!

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 10:57:31 AM »
Those stamps are amazing!

Not sure about how you could the wire for the Moon - Maybe Boni, our resident Wire Queen will have some ideas?

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »
Fran, I really love love love those sun and moon stamps.  Why do you want to add wire to them?  I think they're great without it!!

l agree 8)

Karolina.S

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 04:06:01 PM »
Nice stamps :)
Timrå in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 10:09:25 PM »
I would leave them as they are.  That's just me (and, seems several others here).  If I did add wire, I would have a very little hole to secure both ends, and resin it in place.  But, I'm into rustic right now, so I would leave those lovely stamps as they are.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona where I'm traveling 200 miles tomorrow to attend the Arizona Poly Clay Guild meeting

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »
Hmmm, well I think what I'll probably do is, use the pink looking stamps (used an ink (I think purple) that left that remnant of colour when I cleaned them.) on the newer version of Premo copper clay and just leave that naked.
Re-soak those baked tranquillity pieces to remove all the gum arabic and then paint the copper Pearl-Ex on with Gloss Glaze.

To get back to where I was with these before ruining them with Floor Wax.

Then I'll roll out some more tranquillity clay and re-stamp the reverse Sun & Moon Stamps (the black ones) (as there's a corner missing from these two and I'd like them thicker before baking them and those I'd brush Cosmic Shimmer mica powders before baking, and then I can impress a couple more pieces of Tranquillity - as while on tranquil Salhouse Broad in The Norfolk Broads - (yes, I'm back!) - I carved two more Sun & Moon stamps and I can't wait to see how they turn out in clay as I was really pleased with them when test printing them in my notebook.

I'd like to do one of these sets with the purple wire... but only if I can figure out how to do a nice moon in wire – to match the nice neat coil for the sun, which I can't figure out yet.  It's not the sticking down I'm uncertain of, it's the creating of the nice neat concentric crescents to fill the crescent moon shape that I'm having trouble with.

After all that I'll probably carve a reverse set of the newest 'Salhouse Sun & Moon' stamps, just to see how that looks in clay.

Here's the new stamps:

and test prints:

Now if the room would just stop rocking up and down, everything would be fine! Lol!
FranOnTheEdge

Karolina.S

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 02:35:32 PM »
I like your test prints Fran.
Timrå in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 09:48:13 PM »
Great!
What medium are you carving?