EJR Beads

Author Topic: Best Clear Resin in Available UK?  (Read 5264 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Best Clear Resin in Available UK?
« on: September 13, 2014, 03:39:18 PM »
Hi,
I've just used almost all my resin on a failed project,  >:( so now I need more resin to try again. (and again and again, probably ::)) so where can I get some resin, that will dome, cures clear not yellow, has as little bubbles as possible and is easy to mix together?
AND is available (or can be shipped to for a decent price) the UK?

Please help, as I don't know which make to look for.

The one I've almost used up was a small syringe of Ice Resin and seemed to me to be pretty expensive, so I'm hoping for cheaper... maybe in a greater volume?
FranOnTheEdge

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
Re: Best Clear Resin in Available UK?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »
Resin is still on my 'To Do' list so I'm probably not much help here I'm afraid.  I have seen Gedeo Crystal Resin in the local craft supply store,  though I can't comment on is as I haven't tried it.  Actually that reminds me, I think I have some of that somewhere too.

Mel  :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »
So have l, Mel....... ::)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »
Resin is still on my 'To Do' list so I'm probably not much help here I'm afraid.  I have seen Gedeo Crystal Resin in the local craft supply store,  though I can't comment on is as I haven't tried it.  Actually that reminds me, I think I have some of that somewhere too.

Mel  :)

Yes, my local art store has that too, I'm afraid I wasn't convinced that it was clear - the picture looked white, not clear.  Or misty at best.  So I didn't buy that.
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 09:00:08 AM »
We should have some of the Ice resin in stock soon - it's new to me though, so I can't advise on it. I got it in because several customers were asking for it.

I'll keep y'all posted!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 11:31:46 AM »
We should have some of the Ice resin in stock soon - it's new to me though, so I can't advise on it. I got it in because several customers were asking for it.

I'll keep y'all posted!

Emma

Thanks Emma, but I've found one on Amazon that'll deliver to the UK, and it's 16 oz.  I think the Ice Resin it too expensive for me, and too small as well.  The one on Amazon doesn't sound like a craft thing, but I've been assured that it works exactly the same way.

Besides, I want it now. Lol!
FranOnTheEdge

Bibi

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:47:07 AM »
I've used crystal resin from amazon with good results (1st attempt I screwed it up terribly, 2nd attempt with A LOT more hardener added and it went great)

It is pricey but for the cheaper ones I've seen the measuring is more complicated to work out. There also different types of resin and 1 of them has harsh fumes and can set a lot faster (forget the name of it) but that put my off buying despite the price.

Fortunately for me I don't need tons of the stuff for my projects so crystal is ok, but if you wanted to use a large amount of it you should probably look into the types so you can get it cheaper.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:27:36 AM »
I've used crystal resin from amazon with good results (1st attempt I screwed it up terribly, 2nd attempt with A LOT more hardener added and it went great)

It is pricey but for the cheaper ones I've seen the measuring is more complicated to work out. There also different types of resin and 1 of them has harsh fumes and can set a lot faster (forget the name of it) but that put my off buying despite the price.

Fortunately for me I don't need tons of the stuff for my projects so crystal is ok, but if you wanted to use a large amount of it you should probably look into the types so you can get it cheaper.

Well I don’t need tons either... although...
I had a similar experience to you, Bibi.  My first attempt using resin went horribly wrong, not due to incorrect amounts of hardener, just to a sloping surface, an urge not to waste resin, and ...basically inexperience using it.  I got vast amounts of bubbles, the resin set at an angle, lots of it flowed out of the pendant and stuck it to the surface and to the other pendant next to it.  It was horrible.

My second attempt worked like a dream, almost no bubbles, the flakes I was using looked gorgeous the second they hit the resin and sunk down into it, and they set level and popped out of the moulds with only the application of desperate force and wrenching fingernails.

Now the first attempt was ice resin in a syringe – which I couldn't warm like you can bottles, thus the excessive bubbles – I think. 
My 2nd attempt used bottled resin and I was able to heat those gently in a pan of warm water.
The type I used also required equal amounts of resin and hardener, so I just used identical tiny pots for that and made a mark at the exact same height on each pot.  I seemed to have simply loads of tine to a) place inclusions into the resin, and b) time galore to try popping all remaining bubbles.  I'm sure I must have sat there for 1/2 an hour to an hour – at least!

My 2nd attempt at a similar pendant to the ice resin failure will use the bottled resin, since I seem able to control that better.  But I'll use up the ice resin on the failed pendant just to see how much I can rescue of it, but it will have vast acres of bubbles in it.

I don't think this new one has harsh fumes, It's called Envirotex Lite and didn't mention crafts at all on the packet or online before I bought it, so it's not one that I'd noticed before – I guess I thought it was just an industrial thing, not to be used for crafts... how wrong can you be!  I later discovered that it's the very one that the YouTuber used to make her excellent Faux Opals.

Having had this success on my 2nd attempt, I am tempted to try again, and do more of the 'white fire' versions... and maybe test out other inclusions too.

I loved the 'white fire' ones, and I think that 'Essence of Pearl' mica flakes could turn out to be good too, but much more subtle. And I want to try some 'Sparkling Copper' too.

After I've tried inclusions in clay.
FranOnTheEdge