EJR Beads

Author Topic: Earring vendors and safe metals  (Read 9407 times)

Bibi

Earring vendors and safe metals
« on: September 08, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
I'd like to buy some earring hooks from a Chinese vendor, they do state that the earrings are lead and nickle free but I'm worried maybe they wont be. I'm in the UK and I've read that even costume jewellery metals in well known high street shops have been found to have these types of metals in them. If they don't adhere I wonder why a Chinese vendor would adhere also. I'm not sure they definitely have to comply with EU regulations to just ship a few earring hooks out.

I don't like the idea of giving some earrings away for them to cause allergies and what not...

Any thoughts?

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
Re: Earring vendors and safe metals
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 02:24:42 PM »
I can only wear pure metals like 18 or 24k gold, platinun & fine silver (I keep meaning to try copper).  Any time I've ever tried anything else, within minutes my ears become a bit of a mess, so for that reason I wouldn't buy anything that is plated, even if it did comply with EU law.  Just my view though.

Mel  :)

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »
I would be wary of buying ear wires from China.   

Emma has a nice range of allergy free ear wires, in Niobium and Titanium.  They come in various colours; silver, bronze and a variety of brights.  I mainly use the bronze, or make my own from copper wire.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 05:35:54 PM »
You will find that a lot of nickel "free" findings still contain nickel, just within the allowance set by the EU. I stick with major companies to ensure that my products comply with nickel legislation. I would definitely steer clear of anything direct from China or the USA.

Karolina.S

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 06:33:20 AM »
I have bought from China earwires and they been better for my allergic friend than anything I bought here. They ate plated copper and copper it's fine even on me and i'm like Mel but silver is a no for me only gold or copper but copper alone makes you green.
Other things from China is different though , I bought I nickel test and test everything before I use it. I throw away anything that has nickel in it.
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

MilleD

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
I'm with Ann and Peter, I wouldn't bother.

Other findings might be ok but you are buying something that goes into the body of your freinds and family (if giving them away) and I wouldn't risk it.

On a certain auction site there are sellers from China that also sell 925 silver that isn't.  Just saying.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:44:55 AM »
You will find that a lot of nickel "free" findings still contain nickel, just within the allowance set by the EU. I stick with major companies to ensure that my products comply with nickel legislation. I would definitely steer clear of anything direct from China or the USA.

This!

I stick to my niobium and titanium earwires for most things now, including my own earrings.

I mostly tolerate sterling silver findings ok in my ears. But I noticed that when I switched from all sterling to all niobium in my ear (I have 9 holes in one ear) - my ear actually decreased in size - so it had obviously had mild swelling from just wearing sterling. They were good quality sterling too

As for anything stainless steel in my ears - forget it! Balloon city!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Sylvia

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 01:52:58 PM »
NINE!  Do you wear stuff in all nine all the time, or just some sometimes?  And what do you put in them?  Stuff you make?
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »
NINE!  Do you wear stuff in all nine all the time, or just some sometimes?  And what do you put in them?  Stuff you make?

Yes they all have something in all the time - not things I make, except the bottom "normal" holes in each ear that I use for regular earrings. Usually the rest have just sleepers or studs - although now with all the funky piercing jewellery around I'm enjoy some strange niobium dumbell like thingys in a couple of them.

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »
Cool Emma, i have only 5 in one ear.
I took the earrings out not long ago, before that i too had something in all holes at once, been that way since i was 16 but i just took them out one day. Maybe some day i will start using them again.

:)

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
Nine!!  I didn't even think there would be room for that many.  I had 3 in each year when I was younger.  To upset my mum!  ::)  But you can't even see the top two holes anymore it's been so long since I used them.  I made a set of copper ear wires last night to try them out and it took about an hour for them to start to hurt a bit and go crusty.  I'm going to leave it a couple of days and try it again though.  I know it sounds odd, but even with gold ones, if I haven't worn earrings for a while that will happen to me, but then it settles down, and I haven't worn earrings in months.  The plated type are a whole different story, very messy painful kind of reaction...

Mel  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 04:12:43 PM »
I get the same with sterling silver  - I don't really react majorly, but some holes will be a bit "vocal" for a few days if I put sterling silver in, others not so bad.

But that is what I thought anyway until I changed to niobium and the whole ear was much smaller, so on some small level must have been unhappy with the sterling silver over the long term  just not enough to make me really notice it.

I got mine done when I was a kid - 14 or 15, me and my friend would end up going into town and having another one done. I do kinda still have room for more... ;D

Of course everyone then was so shocked by them and would tell me how I would live to regret it, how I would never get a job/husband etc. But these days no-one bats an eyelid do they - everyone has something pierced.

I know they are silly, but my little earrings give me a lot of happiness for some reason - not a day gone by when I wasn't happy to have them done, so I cannot imagine ever not wearing any earrings in there.

My baby bro has a tattoo he had done when he was drunk that he regrets bitterly, which I think is sad - because surely it is a souvenir of being young and having a great night out - but he doesn't see it that way!

Emma

BBCrafts

• BeckieBooCrafts
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 09:39:48 PM »
I don't have my ears pierced(I am 11-14 years old and It would be a pain to have them and I don't think I would like it yet) but my mom does and all the pretty earrings are pierced, at michaels a while back I saw a Pierced ear earring clip on conversion, and I think I wanna find it again. Because my mom gave me some Gorgeous pierced earrings for my b-day hoping I could convert them non-permanently. Unfortunately I can't seem to find them anywhere. Mabye I'll have to go DIY way.
Call Me Becka *Smiley Face*
https://beckieboocrafts.wordpress.com/

Karolina.S

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 09:56:23 PM »
Emma why would you regret having your ears pierced? One can just remove the earrings :/

We pierced eachother me and my friends. I pierced a lot of ears during the years :)

Maybe i could have niobium or titanium, i have noot tried that but silver i can´t even wear a necklace or bracelet without turning red and itchy.

Wear your 9 (10?) earrings with pride. :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »
I don't have or want pierced ears but l'd love to make and wear them - l do have clip-on ones but they aren't really comfortable enough - nor do they feel secure.  I'd hate to lose one of my creations!
Come to think of it, nearly all the earrings l've made have been seed-beaded ones.

I once saw a tutorial for a sort of wire loop thingy that went round your ear, and curled up onto the lobe or something....wish l could remember what it was like ???  All the wire bit would be hidden in my hair - it looked really comfortable!   As far as metals go, l don't have a problem, luckily!