EJR Beads

Author Topic: SEO and Etsy - does Anyone understand it?  (Read 3870 times)

MyrtleWeed

• FrisbyCreek Arts
SEO and Etsy - does Anyone understand it?
« on: September 03, 2014, 03:11:11 AM »
So I've been trying to figure out the ins and outs of SEO and Etsy.  I understand the principles of SEO (kind of) but when i try to implement them my head melts. I'm wondering if, given the level of competition for the kinds of things I'm selling, on Etsy and beyond, whether it is actually going to make much difference even if I'm optimised to the hilt, there are probably about a million other sellers equally or better optimised.

The SEO tutorials are quite confusing and sometimes contradictory, specially if your brain does not have a technological bent, which mine doesn't, I'm more of a flat earther.  The few things that I have sold on Etsy have come about because of a specific search for a specific item that I happen to have, a search term that according to the google keyword tool has a search count of 0. So if I'd been following SEO to the letter I'd have missed out on a couple of sales because I wouldn't have used those keywords.

Has anyone used SEO effectively on Etsy? anyone have any hints or tips? Is it worth it to persevere? should I  put up with the headaches and shell out for the paracetamol  in the happy anticipation of the millions I'll make when my shop is fully optimised? 

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
Re: SEO and Etsy - does Anyone understand it?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:59:53 AM »
I can only guess at how effective good SEO is but I would imagine that alot of people are paying alot of money to be at the top of a search for certain terms and however much you optimise your terms you are always going to be below those who pay. Just a thought.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »
I've never really looked into the SEO optimisation too much at Etsy. I have enough trouble trying to figure out what keywords to use.

Seems to me though, the vast majority of hits come from people within etsy searching specific terms. Certainly when I look at my stats over the year that is the case. But that could be because I have failed to optimise for search engines and capitalise on that!

I've given up on trying to second guess how google works. Seems like they are always changing things anyway. I figure write good, natural copy as best you can and hope for the best!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »
I hadn't a clue what you were all talking about here, until I googled SEO and found it stands for 'search engine optimization', or where you are in the pecking order on search engines. 

So for any others who didn't know, now you do.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

Karolina.S

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 12:35:59 PM »
I found that if you use key words in your text like polymer clay tutorial flower necklace gift fimo Premo kayo and do on you are good to go :)
All the other stuff you can do if you want to but I found it to be a waste of time
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 04:51:52 PM »
Thanks Ann.  :)  I was going to google it when I got to the end of the thread, and you've saved me the trouble.  Having said that I'm a bit curious now, so I might have to google it anyway.  ::)

Mel  :)

MyrtleWeed

• FrisbyCreek Arts
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »
Peter - yes I had thought of that too.There do seem to be a whole lot of reasons why, even if you work hard at it and get it all right, it might still be pointless,

Emma - I have the same problem with Keywords, it's my least favourite bit of the Etsy experience. I think these days you have to be a bit optimised for the Etsy search too- at least that's what they tell you. And yes, I am convinced that as soon as (or if) I do get my head around current SEO trends it will be a case of  "New Balls Please" and I'll be back to square one.

MonkeyAnn - Sorry about that, I should have explained a bit better what I am talking about, (it would help if I knew what I was talking about):)

Karolina - That is more or less what I was doing, but upon reading some of the recent Etsy SEO tutorials it seems that it is not just about having the keywords, but whereabouts on your page you place them, how many times you repeat them (as often as possible apparantly, without sounding stupid) even tags have to be placed in a particular order for best results. And that is just the basics! I doubt that I'll get much further than the basics, but I'll plod along for a little while longer and see if I can make any headway.

Mel - You might turn out to be an SEO wizz. It's  clear that some folks just have the knack for this kind of thing. (You might be one of them)

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »
There's an SEO group that has some explanations that seem reasonably logical. I don't know how effective it is in my case as I don't sell many of my glass coasters etc but I get a fair few veiws and faves. The trick seems to be to have the same keyword phrases in the title, in the description and as tags. Google likes it apparently, but as most of my views come from Etsy searches I really can't say if it is worth the effort.

MyrtleWeed

• FrisbyCreek Arts
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 08:21:53 PM »
Jon, that does seem to be the basics of SEO. Now I'm wondering where you go, you know, if you want that extra push over the cliff, how do you take your SEO to 11?
What is the name of your Etsy shop?

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 10:13:51 AM »
My shop is called JonBurgess. I need to put some other designs up there probably.
I'll have a look at your shop too.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »
The trouble is, google are always changing their algorithms and I am not 100 percent sure if over-using the keywords is still the optimum way to get noticed or not? I know that too much and it gets considered "keyword spamming" and can then count against you. But how google determines this I don't know.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Karolina.S

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 02:30:27 PM »
What i meant is that you can do all the SEO but if you use keywords it is quite ok and maybe anough.

I tried to use the meta tags and so on but i get the best result when i just use keywords in my text.
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

AfroByte

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »
Before becoming a gardener I used to be also a website designer, marketing manager, sales and customer support manager, technical support, administrator etc. I still do my own websites as I still have a number of them. But need to rejigg them as they are just costing money, not making any, due to lack of time.

I used to be quite good at SEO. But it is a minefield. Make sure you use the right key words for your product. But do not spam with the words. Google is quite clever to spot the spammers and those websites will be penalised to the bottom of the pile. The text has to flow for the reader.

I also have an Etsy shop. Just started out with it. It looks like Etsy is using google to power its searches. Once you get the basics of good "white" SEO then you are fine. Its the right key words thats part of the key!

Look at your successful competitors and see what key words they use. But you have to keep looking at least once a month. Having an Etsy shop is expensive and needs to give you a return in the long run. Also you need to look at your pricing. If its too high you will not sell as others out there are cheaper. Plus clear photographs. I use my Iphone.