EJR Beads

Author Topic: Bubbles in sculpey varnish  (Read 1245 times)

Bibi

Bubbles in sculpey varnish
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:19:46 PM »
Hey,

I've varnished some clay pieces and found tiny bubbles cropping up in them, verrry annoying. I need to stir it up because it kinda settles at the bottom when left to stand for ages. Anyway around this or any suggestions on a better varnish than sculpey for this?

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Bubbles in sculpey varnish
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:13:59 AM »
Sometimes it is better to apply varnish with your finger than use a brush - if bubbles are an issue. The brush can trap all the bubbles in the varnish and no-doubt create a few more with air inside the bristles.

You could also try using a stick to carefully stir the varnish rather than a brush. Likewise, never shake it to mix.

I think the sculpey varnishes are quite thick (?) - so you might want to try a thinner viscosity varnish like Fimo or , thinner still, Johnson's Pledge Floor Finish (AKA Klear / Future). Although the thinner the varnish, the more coats you may need to build up the shine you want.

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Bibi

Re: Bubbles in sculpey varnish
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:32:13 AM »
This sculpey varnish I have is thin like water.

But yeah that's a really good idea to mix with a stick instead. The brush gets super bubbly. I'll try the finger coating too and see how it goes. Thanks.