EJR Beads

Author Topic: Adding hair to a sculpted head  (Read 2627 times)

Billski

Adding hair to a sculpted head
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:24:32 PM »
Hi guys and gals,

My next sculpting project will involve adding dolls hair to my figure, my question is can I buy hair that would withstand the baking process, or would I have to root the hair into the head after baking?

thanks
Bill

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Adding hair to a sculpted head
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »
I've never done it - but I guess it depends on the type of hair.

If you bought real hair, I would think yes - it would be ok to bake. Synthetic hair maybe, maybe not. You'd need to put some in the oven and test how it reacts.

Also, if synthetic,  test how it reacts to the unbaked clay itself chemically speaking. Some plastics turn into a gooey mess around unbaked polymer clay. Usually this is the rigid, clear polystyrene based plastics, so I am guessing not what synthetic hair would be made of, but you never know.

It would suck to find the hair bakes just fine, but the clay plasticisers had eaten away at it and it falls out from the roots.

So I would test for both. Bake some of the hair - also lay some of the hair over some unbaked clay and let it sit out for a day or so.

I would think that putting the hair into unbaked clay would be the ideal, construction wise. But only if you know it will work out and you'll probably only know that by buying some hair and getting all science on its butt.

Alternatively, see if there are any good polymer clay doll making forums out there - it is a whole different genre of claywork to that with most of us here do. So experts in that field might have way better methods and will surely have better advice than I can offer.

The best I can say really is just test, test, test before doing anything - then at least if something doesn't work it will show up on the test samples rather than your finished model

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Billski

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »
Thanks Emma,

I have ordered some different types of hair, both natural and man made. I think the safest route will be to glue the hair onto the scalp, I have viewed a couple of really good videos on youtube both ways, and I am starting to think there is less skill in gluing than rooting!
I have also ordered some 3mm glass eyes, not cheap, but they will bake in the oven.

I plan to sculpt Rapunzel using little Chloe's face with blue glass eyes and long blonde hair for her mum's birthday. I will rename the sculpt Chlopunzel lol!

AfroByte

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:17:47 PM »
Hiya

The man made hair will either burn or melt if put in the oven.

The natural hair might singe up and get frizzy.

I asked my sons girlfriend. She is the queen of hair extensions in the family.  ;)

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 06:04:34 PM »
Sorry, I can't help.  I've never tried doing it.  Good luck with it though.

Mel  :) 

Julie132

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 10:29:42 PM »
dolls wigs are good, cut the hair off and push it in the clay.  Its okay in the oven too. I used it on my reborn dolls when rooting them.