EJR Beads

Author Topic: Nice Scrap Clay(Millefiori) Demo  (Read 3446 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Nice Scrap Clay(Millefiori) Demo
« on: August 29, 2014, 01:35:14 AM »
Hi folks,
I just found this tut/demo by Rach0113, I really like her tutorials, even these fast videos with no information from here are better than many other tuts, so I went to look at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj9Snv3OXRE&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

I really like the scrap clay beads, they looked so nice - but I'd have prefered them without the canes stuck on... but that's just me.
But that's the sort of thing that could easily reconcile me to having scrap clay - if it was as beautiful as that!  Lol!
FranOnTheEdge

MilleD

Re: Nice Scrap Clay(Millefiori) Demo
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:41:13 AM »

But that's the sort of thing that could easily reconcile me to having scrap clay

You really have no choice in the matter, scrap clay is going to become part of your life  :)

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:21:13 AM »
Fran, it doesn't have to be scrap clay that you use.  If you like the technique she used to make those beads, pick colours you like or make up some of your own colours to make the beads.  Nice tutorial BTW.  I like how she varnished  her beads.

Mel  :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »
Yes, nice tute  :)
I wonder if that varnish is ok in the long term.....it certainly was a nifty way of varnishing!

Jessybess

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 07:02:37 PM »
i just found this on ebay and i would love it to be compatible, what do you guys think?

(link removed - as per forum policy. Product mentioned however is POLYURETHANE FINISH CLEAR GLOSS RUST-OLEUM spray can, if anyone has any info or wishes to google for the item) - Emma
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:44:40 PM by ejralph »

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:47:03 PM »
Jessybess - I had a quick google and amazon had some reviews of clayers using it and being happy - so it might be worth a try.

I think it depends if you like the Varathane finish or not too. I always felt the regular varathane remained sort of sticky. It could be because our climate is quite humid and damp though. I think maybe if I lived in the drier parts of the world like California or whever most of the polymer clay / varathan fans are, I might get different results.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Cara Jane

• Cara Jane's Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 11:36:41 PM »

But that's the sort of thing that could easily reconcile me to having scrap clay - if it was as beautiful as that!  Lol!

Fran a couple of tips for beautiful scrap clay..separate your scrap into different colours - blues, reds etc so that you can mix new shades of blue from the scraps or at least pick up piles of the colour you want.

Also making canes with only 2 of the primary colours in - the three primary colours mix to mud but if you can keep one out (or mainly out) they mix to pretty colours - so a blue, green, yellow cane scraps would mix to some shade of green  instead murky grey/brown as there is no red or magenta involved.

Typical you can make the most amazingly beautiful things from tiny bits of scrap that you can never quite make again lol!

Cara Jane Hayman - UK Polymer Clay Artist and Tutor
www.carajane.co.uk/  www.facebook.com/CaraJanePolymerClay

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:58:37 PM »

Typical you can make the most amazingly beautiful things from tiny bits of scrap that you can never quite make again lol!

So true when it comes to colour.  Some of my favourite colours have been made by mixing bits of scrap clay, and I doubt I could ever make them again, no matter how hard I tried!

Mel  :)

Cara Jane

• Cara Jane's Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 10:27:03 PM »
Same with canes - make it small it will be the most beautiful cane ever - try and scale it up so you can make lots of beautiful things and it's never quite the same...

Oh well we should just enjoy the the good colours and the good canes whilst they last!

Cara
Cara Jane Hayman - UK Polymer Clay Artist and Tutor
www.carajane.co.uk/  www.facebook.com/CaraJanePolymerClay