EJR Beads

Author Topic: Confused about pliers/jewellery tools for wire working?  (Read 2445 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Confused about pliers/jewellery tools for wire working?
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:25:40 PM »
What are the essential pliers/jewellery tools for wire working?
What are: (and what are these for)?
'chain nosed' pliers?
Bent nosed
Snipe nosed
Half flat/ half round nosed
Side cutters?
Crimp pliers
Nylon jaw pliers
Nylon jaw round nosed pliers
Nylon Jaw 1/2 Round 1/2 Flat Nose pliers
Bent nosed crimping pliers
Ring bending
3 step pliers
Split ring pliers
round and cutter combination pliers
hard wire memory wire cutter
micro crimper tool crimping pliers
mighty crimper tool crimping pliers
dual crimper tool
flush cutter.
Okay so a flush cutter cuts really flush to your work, but is this an essential tool? Is one of the other things also a flush cutter, like the top cutter? Side cutter? 
Ring mandrel? (essential if you want to make rings I guess)
Raw hide hammer
Metal hammer
Block (can't remember what it's called exactly but put wire on block, & hammer wire flat)
Rubber sheet?
Cup burr remover tool (can't remember that name either)
All purpose flat cut and close
6 step bail making pliers
1 step looper
Bead reamer
Rosary pliers
Double flush cutters
Tweezer nosed pliers

Also when you are buying these things how can you be sure they don't have serrations on the jaws? (I bought a set of 'jewellery pliers' and 2 out of 5 had serrations, so useless flat nosed and bent nosed pliers for my coloured wires...
Most if not all I have seen so far show pictures that don't let you see if the jaws are serrated or not...
and as I'm using coloured craft wire the serrated jawed pliers are not a good idea. So how do I find out which ones are NOT serrated?

FranOnTheEdge

monkey ann

• Illuminati
Re: Confused about pliers/jewellery tools for wire working?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »
Hi Fran

Forget about your long list of tools, most of these you will never need to use.  Just think about those you do need right now.

What are the 3 pliers in your set that are not serrated.  Lets see what needs to be added to these to get you started.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

MilleD

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:49:42 AM »
Jeez, plier OCD!!

Snipe nose, round nose and flat nose, no serations should be all you need to start with.

IMO flush cutters are essential if you want to finish your work well.  Decent ones are quite expensive though.  Note on the internet some are called flush but in reality really aren't.  Once you have flush cutters you shouldn't need any others really but DO NOT CUT MEMORY WIRE WITH THEM  :)  It will ruin them.

Everything else is really a bonus and can be added when you feel you really need it.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:00:51 PM »
Guilty secret

For years I did all my jewellery and wirework with serrated pliers, and still reach for them quite often. :o :o :o

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 05:20:37 AM »
Emma,
I think serrated tools could be ok if you are careful.

But, if you are buying, I would definitely get nonserrated. 

Fran, I agree about flush cutters.  When doing so many things with wire, you need a flush cut for a fine finish.

When you buy tools, you need to assure yourself that what you are buying is what they say they are selling.  You don't need a lot of tools, and stick with the simple list many are saying-good information.  At least 2 pair of pliers.  One pair 'chain' nose, and another of curved nose, flat nose or something of the sort.  At least 1 pair of flush cutters-as good as you can afford.  1 pair of round nose pliers.  You can buy moderate price and upgrade a tool at a time in the future if you love wire.  If your moderate price pliers are a bit rough on the edges, you can file the edges so it is less likely to mark your wire.

All the rest of the tools, forget it for now, unless you have them laying around.  You can research them on the internet at your leisure.  Use what you have 'laying around' if it suits your purpose.  Let us know if you discover a really cool tool.

By the way, a cup burr is a small tool shaped like a small drill, but it isn't twisted like a drill.  It has a little cup on the end and has something inside the little cup that will round out the end of your cut wire when you twist the end of the wire in the little cup.  You buy them the size of the wire you are going to use them for.  I have a couple, and I haven't used them.  Just other ways to treat the end of your wires.  They are pretty hard to find to buy.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

MilleD

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:12:13 AM »
The burrs are quite easy to find on UK auction sites.  I've toyed with buying some but found that my needle files do a decent enough job.  Especially as you have to buy different sizes for different wire. 

Also a burr or a file will definately take the coloured coating off wire if that's what is being used.