EJR Beads

Author Topic: How To Videos On Coloured Wire, + Or - PolyClay?  (Read 7196 times)

MilleD

Re: How To Videos On Coloured Wire, + Or - PolyClay?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 08:24:39 AM »
Similar to Carrie, I have quite a lot of coloured wire that it will probably take me a while to use.  Even the copper coloured wire I'm turning against as it's coated and doesn't take LoS.

How do you know if it's coated? I ask because I don't know if my old big reel of copper is coated or not.  And I can't remember what it said when I first bought it I can't even remember where I got it from.

Quite a lot of it is coated.  You can sometimes find 'raw' copper that isn't.  My test is to dip it in LoS and see if it reacts but you may not have any of that.

But like Ann says, you don't need specific coloured wire videos, just ones you can adjust to your use.

Yes, but it's finding the ones I can adapt.

You should be able to adapt most uncoloured wire techniques to coloured

As an alternative to a hammer, you can buy relatively inexpensive 'whacker' blocks that you sandwich the wire between and smack the two together.  It can flatten the wire without cutting through the coloured coating to the wire beneath.  Filing you need to be careful of as it takes off the coating.

Filing?  What filing?  I've not come across that.  Whacker blocks... is that what they are called?

That's what the one I've got is called.  They are heavy nylon blocks that don't leave marks like a hammer can as they are (usually) a lot larger than the wire piece.

I've never had any problems baking the wires at temps that clay bakes at, you may get different results, but the temp is so low I've never had any trouble.

For weaving, you generally need a thick wire(s) and a thinner wire.  It doesn't matter what colour or shape they are.

Yes, I'd thought of big turquoise, medium purple and small turquoise (28g), but I can't think what to actually do with them, a design... I'm stuck with that.

Just Play around, something will come to you.

This is the first ring I ever made, the weave is around the shank and the pearl,  I didn't know where it was going to start with just knew I wanted a ring with a pearl in the centre

Wirework ring with shell pearl by MilleDreamer, on Flickr

Jigs can be useful if you are doing a lot of repetitive shapes (making your own links for a chain or something) but they are not necessary.  A pair of round nose or bail making pliers will do most shapes a jig can do.  Just not quite as consistently.

Oh okay.  I did ask my husband if he could make me one... but I don't know yet.
When he saw one on a website where I'd found it, aluminium board with aluminium pegs but they were pretty loose and wobbled a lot in the demo video he wasn't impressed with the quality, actually he said it looked rubbish! Lol!

Most jigs have plastic sheaths that you force the pegs into underneath.  If they are not on properly the pegs can wobble about.

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 09:30:54 AM »
Beautiful Claire!!

Mel  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »
I use silver plated because sterling is too expensive and in any case l am perfectly happy with the look of plate.

If you have made a curve or spiral or whatever in wire then hardening it will ensure it keeps its shape.   

Aha! so if it seems to want to spring back then it needs hardening but if it stays where you put it then it's hard enough?
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »
See Boni's post above re work-hardening.   You'll find that the coloured wires are pretty soft.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 07:01:39 PM »
I buy all my wire 'soft'-with copper and sterling, this is an option (half hard, hard, soft).  It's far easier to work with soft.  It's very easy to harden.  Just working with it hardens the wire.  When I was braiding the wire bracelets in the photo, after I had the bracelets half done, I almost couldn't continue because the wire was so hard.

Is there any way to re-soften wire then?

[/quote]You do want the wire to harden on most things.  Jump rings would be too easy to open, clasps would open, rings wouldn't keep their shape, etc.  Just the act of making a jumpring and using it will harden it.

I tumble almost every wire thing I make, and this hardens anything that isn't already hard.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona
[/quote]

I've wanted a tumbler for decades. (but for tumbling stones) Doesn't the wire get bashed out of shape by tumbling?
FranOnTheEdge

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 07:19:44 PM »
As far as I know, when wire is hard, it's hard.  You can still work with it, but you need to plan your work around the hardness of your wire.

Seems like the wire would get deformed from the tumbling.  I use stainless steel shot and water with a burnishing 'soap' to tumble in.  I can't remember ever having something damaged by the tumbling.  A few surprises, but no damage.  Remember, the tumbling hardens the wire, and I assume this happens very quickly.  This would help deformation.  It's really a very gentle process.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona