EJR Beads

Author Topic: Selling on Etsy, Facebook etc  (Read 13564 times)

Karolina.S

Re: Selling on Etsy, Facebook etc
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2014, 07:18:21 PM »
Thank you guys.
I´m right now taking photos and thinking what to include.

I didn´t get the point of writing it in english though. There are so many good books in english but i found only one in swedish about how to make teddy bears and i don´t want to say anything about the quality of that one.

I think i will skip the agent. :)

I had to look up "antagonise" :)

Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 08:06:48 PM »
I just suspect your publisher, when you find them, will want to translate the book into English. Swedish language only might not sell enough to justify their publishing it.

So by offering to supply the text in both languages, you would maybe make yourself much more appealing to them. Remember, I am just thinking of ways to make your proposal more attractive to them.

Sadly, it is very unlikely you will find a publisher who has a strong passion to be the first to publish a swedish polyclay book. It might happen, and great if it does. But more likely, your publisher will just be wanting to sell as many books as possible - often selling the book to other publishers around the world too.  If they have it in English too, that increases their profits because they can sell more..

My first book got translated into French and German and was also released in the US published by Northlight over there. My second book, was translated into Lithuanian of all things - so I believe I am the first clay author to write a Lithuanian clay book! lol

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Karolina.S

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 08:17:16 PM »
:)

I prepared for being rejected but my aim and goal is to get published. If not i will publish it myself either as a book or a e-book.

I do speak russian to but i spell like a first classer in russian ;)

Good to know Emma bout the english part. :)
Some extra editing will be needed if i write in english.
The english bloogin that i do by the way nobody edits an i don´t like that ;)

Thank you for your input both Emma and Jon and support from Mel that is ready to sell.

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2014, 08:28:55 PM »
The way foreign co editions work in my experience (kids books) is that the foreign publisher buys the rights to publish the work in their language, and they deal with the translation. Unless you can translate to a professional standard it's probably best left to the co publishers to sort that. I could be wrong though, craft books may have different rules.
To make financial sense, a book it needs to get the biggest print run it can, so the more countries that buy into it the better.

Seeing your work in Japanese is an interesting experience btw ;-)

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 08:31:21 PM »
Fascinating to read about your 'near miss' on the bead book front Emma. You could have been Carol Blackburn ;-) Interesting time to be involved in it all I bet.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 06:45:36 AM »
Fascinating to read about your 'near miss' on the bead book front Emma. You could have been Carol Blackburn ;-) Interesting time to be involved in it all I bet.

Wasn't a near miss, just a project I turned down. No regrets. After working for publishers though I wanted to self publish any future writing.

Emma

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »

Also now, I cannot flick through any craft project without a silent commentary going through my head of "oh look at her nails" "oh that hand position looks natural - NOT!" and so on... I see why supermodels are such bitches now. It's the camera - turns everyone into an insufferable diva!

Emma

I totally agree with you regarding the nail thing.  There are way to many tutorials out there where I look at the nails and go 'Eeewwww!!' Personally I think it's a really important part of the presentation.

Something else that I personally don't like is when a seller includes photos of someone wearing earrings that are being sold.  That puts me off right away.  No matter how beautiful the earrings might be I just move on.  I can't stomach the thought that they've already been worn.  I don't feel that way with other jewelry though.

Mel  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »

Something else that I personally don't like is when a seller includes photos of someone wearing earrings that are being sold.  That puts me off right away.  No matter how beautiful the earrings might be I just move on.  I can't stomach the thought that they've already been worn.  I don't feel that way with other jewelry though.

Oh I am so with you on that one!

It is nice to see how the earrings would look against a real head, but I think maybe the best approach is one of those manequins

You could always say that earwires will be changed for new ones before the earrings are sent out - but not everyone reads the text, in fact few do. Plus the psychological damage has been done by then!

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2014, 02:52:59 PM »
I agree on the earrings even if i never buy any earrings anyway :)

And for nails, i don´t like the youtube tutorials where the person has super long and manicured nails, it looks so akward and you can see how they struggle to work with them. It is distracting to me anyway. Dirty and totally uncut long nail are also off putting :) Mine is probably not nice to look at :)

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2014, 03:07:57 PM »

And for nails, i don´t like the youtube tutorials where the person has super long and manicured nails, it looks so akward and you can see how they struggle to work with them.

LOL!  I agree, but at least that's kind of funny, as opposed to nauseating.  There is definitely a happy medium where nails and fingers are concerned.

Karolina.S

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2014, 04:54:37 PM »
:)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »
When you are ready to sell is quite simple - if someone is willing to buy- you are by definition at a place ready to sell.

Okay, but how can you know if someone is prepared to pay for it - before you've got your shop and advertised it on there?

Another question, how many pieces would you need to have ready to have enough pieces to make an online shop not look too empty?
FranOnTheEdge

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »
Another question, how many pieces would you need to have ready to have enough pieces to make an online shop not look too empty?

That is an interesting point. I have seen some shops with only a few items in them BUT the web design is such that it all looks very professional and welcoming....gives the products a very much high value impression. Others I have seen have loads of stuff but look like a jumble sale.  With the internet it is ALL about impression and so getting a good design based around what you sell is very important.

I designed my own website (working with a template and a bit of coding knowledge). It isn't brilliant but seems to hit a happy medium to the above.

MyrtleWeed

• FrisbyCreek Arts
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2014, 06:18:51 PM »
I like your website Peter, and the Klimt necklace is a stunner!

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2014, 07:19:18 PM »
Thank you!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)