EJR Beads

Author Topic: Selling on Etsy, Facebook etc  (Read 13579 times)

MilleD

Re: Selling on Etsy, Facebook etc
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 09:22:52 PM »
Incidently - this very forum is an act of me marketing to you all on one level.

Emma

Nooooo, really??

;) ;) ;)

Karolina.S

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »
:)
Timr in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Milly Fury

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »
This forum is a great piece of marketing... I don't buy beads really (maybe to enhance my own) but I do love claying. So you may not have sold me any beads (yet lol) but I've bought clay/clay-related things from you because I saw you here. :)

I can also get advice from you about your products... And I TRUST you, so I assume you're not selling me knock-off copies of Fimo, or that you'll do a runner with my money. I've seen how you treat people and I see you have integrity. I think that is an important reason to develop a rapport with customers, to show them that they can trust you with their money and that you are a fair person.
To require perfection is to invite paralysis" Art & Fear.
https://www.facebook.com/tornupart?ref=hl

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 10:01:51 PM »
You are certainly known, Karolina, not least because of designing for Polyform  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 10:04:01 PM »
This forum is a great piece of marketing... I don't buy beads really (maybe to enhance my own) but I do love claying. So you may not have sold me any beads (yet lol) but I've bought clay/clay-related things from you because I saw you here. :)

I can also get advice from you about your products... And I TRUST you, so I assume you're not selling me knock-off copies of Fimo, or that you'll do a runner with my money. I've seen how you treat people and I see you have integrity. I think that is an important reason to develop a rapport with customers, to show them that they can trust you with their money and that you are a fair person.

Aw shucks! thanks!  :D
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Karolina.S

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »
Thank you Carrie. Trying my best :)

Despite being Swedish LOL

Emma i would by from you to if there wasnt that little thing called shipping costs :/

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 10:14:55 PM »
time is the big one isn't it

I've had NO time to focus on my business the last year or so, for various personal reasons. And I have seen the ill effects of that - in terms of less beads made, so less sales. And my marketing has been poor - rubbish, quickly written descriptions and mail outs. No blogging or any updates on the website etc.

So remember I am talking about "theory" here of good marketing approaches and things I know work. I know that in real terms, very few of us have the time.

But remember - my comments are simply my opinions and opinions for those people who want to make a full time living from their work.

And unfortunately, when trying to set up a full time job, it IS full on work. Just like any other 9-to-5 office Job

We're not saying here that every seller is letting themselves down if they don't blog, write for magazines, write an amazing website or etsy store descriptions, spend hours on their marketing.

What I am saying is that if anyone WANTS that full on, full time career from their work - they have to up their game and realise that the marketing side cannot simply be sitting back, being modest and letting the customers / viewers of their work dictate the pace. That just won't pay the mortgage. Even if you do everything brilliantly, you'll have a tough time doing that of course!!

Think of the phenomenon that is Katwise and her coats. I don't personally believe that her product would sell so well if it were not for her own personality and "brand" that is wrapped up with it all. The crazy colours, the wacky farmhouse, the tales of travels and fun.

None of that seems forced or artifical to me. But in her opening up and showing herself as well as her product, in talking with positivity , she creates an atmosphere that people want to buy into.

So - that is what I mean. I am not pointing fingers at anyone here - I don't ever visit people's websites or blogs, and very rarely their facebook pages. So actually I don't have a clue what anyone here does or doesn't sell, much less how they write about it.

I'm just bringing up an aspect that I feel is ignored very often by the very people that DO have ambitions to grow their business into something bigger and I am saying "hey - don't shoot the messenger, but you cannot deny this stuff matters"

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 10:23:56 PM »
I dont think that we want to shoot you, not me anyway :)

MilleD

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 08:03:02 AM »

Think of the phenomenon that is Katwise and her coats.

Emma

Who?

That one must have passed me by...

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 09:09:17 AM »
Not sure who she is either ;-) But I think the point is that you are selling the whole package of you as an artist.
Whether that means playing up to and feeding the cliche fantasy of what an 'artist' is in order to feed off it is moot, but I understand people want to engage and become part of an artist's world somehow. Which one the one hand, is nice, but on the other hand can be just another bit of cynical fakery or end up in Kardashian territory ;-)

I love Karolina's struggle with what I think of as The Northern European Protestant Mindset, and I identify with it to some extent. It's a bit like the Scots Calvinist attitude, "Fit's so affy special about you, Laddie? Eh?"

'We' desperately don't want to make out that we are in any way special, or think that we are better than anybody else. Which is a bit hypocritical as we probably do secretly think we are both of those things . . We just don't want people to think we think them. . .

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 11:19:51 AM »
I'm playing devils avocado to a degree here because I haven't advocated big headedness just not be a victim to false modesty.

Let's turn it on its head though.

IF you choose to sell, that is arrogant anyway by this northern euro mindset - how dare we presume anyone would like our work enough to BUY it?

So if you are going as far as to sell, then surely the real falsehood is to pretend you are not chasing sales or only want natural, organic pathways for customers to see your work.

I don't buy it. Sorry.

Selling is fun, enjoy it and embrace it. You'll meet nice peeps and have a laugh

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 12:02:18 PM »
I can only speak for myself and i dont believe in the natural pathway (unless you are some super genius) and dont really feel that i do things the way i do becuase im modest but i just am hwo i am.
Have have like you Emma strong opinions about stuff and for instance i dont get the thing with "like swaps" i will like when something speaks to and not to get a like in return.

I do believe in:
showcasing
Great photos
Selling at every market or event that i can so people see me and talk to me.
Writing emails presenting myself to publishers and companys and even newspapers, i had 2 articles written about me and my work one where i made contact with the reporter and the second time they contacted me.
Taking part in competions and challanges
And Confidence! Im proud of what i do!
I also know that im not the best and im not a pioneer, im humble in that way.

I know that with the right marketing of myself i can outrun artists that are waaaaay better than me.

Im not such a big victim of Jantelagen and i put some people off becuase im not afraid to say what is on my mind and i NEVER lie not even to smooth things over.  This is sooo unswedish. And as i said i clean toilets for a living and still think im a somebody, that is a big no no here.

Either you like me for my realistic approach to life and to myself or you dont, one acquaintance told me that some are even afraid of me :o dont know why but so bee it, their loss.

So no false modesty here just doing things my way and in my pace and so far working not bad for me but could be better.
I will try to be less boring in my descriptions in my internet shop becuase you have a good point :)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:14:49 AM by Karolina.S »

Milly Fury

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
Jon, we aren't selling kidney machines here - we are selling "feel good" things, to people who enjoy a "handmade" vibe. When I go out for a romantic meal with my b/f, we don't go to a workman's cafe for a big delicious fry up; we pay someone five times as much to play Jenga with some carrots and serve them on a block of wood. It's posh to do that, we like it.

I used to do stand-up, which is about as arrogant as you can get "Pay me and then laugh at my jokes". Despite my terrible stage-fright I had to get up, stride out and "lead" the audience. People largely enjoy being led. If I'd got up apologetically and showed my nerves, it wouldn't have been funny - it would have been sad. They didn't pay to be SAD.

When I buy "handmade" goods I want to feel like I am supporting an artist, I want to feel like I am part of something magical and deeper than mere shopping. I want to buy things from a woman in a kaftan, with mad hair and too much eyeliner.
To require perfection is to invite paralysis" Art & Fear.
https://www.facebook.com/tornupart?ref=hl

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 01:10:20 PM »
I'm playing devils avocado to a degree here because I haven't advocated big headedness just not be a victim to false modesty.

Let's turn it on its head though.

IF you choose to sell, that is arrogant anyway by this northern euro mindset - how dare we presume anyone would like our work enough to BUY it?

So if you are going as far as to sell, then surely the real falsehood is to pretend you are not chasing sales or only want natural, organic pathways for customers to see your work.

I don't buy it. Sorry.

Selling is fun, enjoy it and embrace it. You'll meet nice peeps and have a laugh

Emma

I don't see arrogance as the big issue, personally, I think selling has more to do with confidence.  I love making beads and jewelry, but I'm my own worst enemy because as a perfectionist, I am always really critical of what I make.  I would love to sell, but the thought of making something that might break or something that would just sit in my Etsy shop (website, wherever) forever is really off putting to me.  I do think selling would be exciting though.  One day.....

Karolina, good luck with your book.

Mel  :)

Karolina.S

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 01:39:32 PM »
Thank you Mel, maybe it will take me forever, maybe it is just a dream , maybe it will never get published or nobody will buy it
But Im going for it and i will be the first one to write a proper PC book in Swedish and that is cool.
As long i dont take forever and somebody else beats me to it ;)

Mel you are ready to sell! :)  Dont worry, go for it!