EJR Beads

Author Topic: Wire terms?  (Read 3891 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Wire terms?
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:07:22 PM »
What's tiger tail?
Memory wire? (although I might be able to guess this one) but how do you use it.

I've finally found somewhere that stocks and sells to the UK and has wire in the colours I want and almost the sizes I wanted so I've ordered Turquoise, Petrol, Purple (or lilac), silver and copper coloured wire, in 8mm and 5mm - which for now is close enough, I think.
But I keep seeing this tiger wire and silk covered wire - what's that?
and what's the difference between copper coloured wire and aluminium coloured wire (apart from the obvious fact that one is copper and the other is aluminium - from the point of view of selling what you make? Or wearing it yourself?
FranOnTheEdge

monkey ann

• Illuminati
Re: Wire terms?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:35:26 PM »
Tiger tail is beading wire, very strong, can be used for stringing seed beads and other beads with small holes.  Should be finished off with crimp beads each end.  Crimp beads are small beads that get squashed round double thickness of wire, to form a loop for jump rings, or the clasp.  Have tried this, but never seems to work right for me.

Memory wire, as you will have guessed, keeps its shape.  Not tried using this.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:52:50 PM »
I use 'tiger tail', what I call beading wire.  I use crimp beads.  If you have the right crimping tools to go with the right crimp tubes, I have a lot of success with them, but always use 2 crimps - never trust anything when finishing your treasures.

Memory wire is sold in necklace shape and bracelet and ring shapes, 'gold' or 'silver' color.  It is preshaped into circles neck size and several bracelet sizes, and rings.  They sell ball ends to glue onto the ends after you string your goodies on the wire, but I don't find the ball ends reliable (they are glued on with super glue), so I usually bend a circle on the ends of the wire.  The memory wire can be one circle around your wrist or neck (this is a real choker  :P!) or finger.  Or, you can use several circles around the wrist or finger for a cool spiral.   It's a very fast and fun way to use beads-great for children.  You need to use cutters made for this very hard wire or you !!! will !!! ruin your cutters.  Memory wire in the USofA can be very low price-another cool thing about it.

This memory wire jewelry sounds cheap and simple looking, but with the right beads and a bit of care with the wire, it can look very cool and can display items very well.  I have found that if I want to display something cool I just made and only have a half hour before I need a finished piece, this can be a very good way to accomplish what you need.  Then, you can make something different with these beads later when you have the time and goods.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:56:46 PM by Bonipie »

MilleD

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:47:37 AM »
I've always admired Diane Keeble's work on Flickr with memory wire because her choice and selection of beads is beautiful.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »
Tiger tail is beading wire, very strong, can be used for stringing seed beads and other beads with small holes.  Should be finished off with crimp beads each end.  Crimp beads are small beads that get squashed round double thickness of wire, to form a loop for jump rings, or the clasp.  Have tried this, but never seems to work right for me.

Memory wire, as you will have guessed, keeps its shape.  Not tried using this.

Yes I have some 'crimp ends' I think they are, I've only used copper, silver plated and coloured wires so far.  I might have seen Tiger wire in real life, but not Memory wire.  Interesting, thanks.

I use 'tiger tail', what I call beading wire.  I use crimp beads.  If you have the right crimping tools to go with the right crimp tubes, I have a lot of success with them, but always use 2 crimps - never trust anything when finishing your treasures.

I have no crimping tools... but that's okay I have no tiger wire either yet.  (I hope I remember to get a tool if I do get tiger wire)

Memory wire is sold in necklace shape and bracelet and ring shapes, 'gold' or 'silver' color.  It is preshaped into circles neck size and several bracelet sizes, and rings.  They sell ball ends to glue onto the ends after you string your goodies on the wire, but I don't find the ball ends reliable (they are glued on with super glue), so I usually bend a circle on the ends of the wire.  The memory wire can be one circle around your wrist or neck (this is a real choker  :P!) or finger.  Or, you can use several circles around the wrist or finger for a cool spiral.   It's a very fast and fun way to use beads-great for children.  You need to use cutters made for this very hard wire or you !!! will !!! ruin your cutters.  Memory wire in the USofA can be very low price-another cool thing about it.

This memory wire jewelry sounds cheap and simple looking, but with the right beads and a bit of care with the wire, it can look very cool and can display items very well.  I have found that if I want to display something cool I just made and only have a half hour before I need a finished piece, this can be a very good way to accomplish what you need.  Then, you can make something different with these beads later when you have the time and goods.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

I think I'd better stick to copper for now.

I've always admired Diane Keeble's work on Flickr with memory wire because her choice and selection of beads is beautiful.

Okay, thanks Millie, I'll look her up.
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »
I have coated copper wire in several colours - l think aluminium wire is a lot softer and wouldn't hold its shape, but that's only from a brief feel of aluminium wire in a shop once and l could easily be wrong.   

The main UK supplier of coloured wire also supplies many of the other UK online shops so l hope you've gone to the source!

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
I have coated copper wire in several colours - l think aluminium wire is a lot softer and wouldn't hold its shape, but that's only from a brief feel of aluminium wire in a shop once and l could easily be wrong.   

The main UK supplier of coloured wire also supplies many of the other UK online shops so l hope you've gone to the source!

Mine is copper coated wire.  I think I got that from CrazyWire, or Crazy4Wire, or some such name, and I think they supply lots of places. Not sure if that counts as 'source'.
FranOnTheEdge