EJR Beads

Author Topic: Had An Idea For Earrings - How To Do It?  (Read 8309 times)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Had An Idea For Earrings - How To Do It?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 05:39:17 PM »
Hi Jude ....that sounds like a very good approach - it's also what you can do with seed beads, increasing in peyote stitch along a length so that it spirals. 
Maybe this naturally spiralling, pinched clay strip could then wind round a pre-baked core.  Hmmm  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 11:30:33 PM »
Hi Fran, Jude here (Ann's grownup offspiring)

Hi Jude,

the shape you have looks like hyperbolic geometry. you know how there are 360o in a circle, and if you subtract from this angle, you get a cone? well, if you have *more* than 360o at the centre, you'd get something like a circle that won't lay flat? which you could take further, like this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hyperbolic+crochet&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rjTvU7uEGKSO7AaP-YDIBQ&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=899

...well, that's hyperbolic geometry. it's common in corals as it gives a large surface area to feed, but man made examples are mostly computer generated or crocheted. in crochet, you basically increase "too fast" (say, every 2nd or 3rd stitch). if you do this in the round, it will eventually make a "ball" (like most of the images linked above). if made in yarn, yours would be crocheted back & forth from a foundation chain as long as you want the finished earring. as the working edge gets longer, it starts to "spiral" around the foundation chain, forming your shape.

which brings us back to clay. I think the easiest way to imitate this in clay is to roll a log as long as you want the finished earrings, and then start pinching along one edge (so that edge gets longer and the log goes banana shaped). keep doing this and the long edge will be forced to form a spiral (or a squiggly zig zag type pattern, but it should be easy to encourage into a spiral)

good luck.

Okay, I tried this, but I think I must just not be understanding it correctly that or it's just me being too clumsy to do it.
I tried with a log the length of the intended earring, and it was way too short. I got a banana alright, but that was it. It wasn't long enough to wind round more than 1 and a bit spirals.
So I tried with more clay and a much longer log... and after the 2nd spiral I just can't get it to sit flat or slightly flared out, like a shirt, the 3rd spiral becomes too tight a cone.

I'll try again with a shorter log, maybe a fatter log is the way to go???
Oh and Ann, the leeching worked for a while but made the clay snap when I tried to fold it to make the log, and now it's all squishy again...

Nope, I just can't get it to make the right shape by the 3rd coil.
I've tried trying to fit the pinched log together by itself, as well as using a central core of clay and using a central core of clay with a wire inside that... and nothing works.  In every case it just becomes too unhandy to do anything with by the 3rd coil...
FranOnTheEdge

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 12:31:24 AM »
Fran,
Sometimes I have a really cool idea, and try and try, and little by little figure out one by one the difficult things, and when I get to the impossible things, I start figuring out the things I can do to replace the things I can't do.  And, by this time, I realize I don't care about it anyway, so I just move on...  Just sayin'.  We're talking a lot of time here.

One thing I have found with earrings is that I like movement.  Something sort of like you're doing, but with movement.  You could quite easily make several flowery sorta horn type beads with shaded clay, put a wire between each flower (a piece of wire with a loop on each end-the flower would go between the loops sort of like this, but a flower not a fish  ;D http://www.pinterest.com/pin/503558802058087603/ ).  Or, this is very cool-there's a photo (that I can't find right now) that has maybe 6 flowers, very thin at the edge and less fancy (if you know what I mean) that looks a lot like you want to do, but not in a spiral, individual petals. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/503558802057726788/

Just tossing ideas.  I can't believe you have made it this far.  You go Girl!

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

P.S.  Thinking about it, I did just that a few days ago-I was working on a project, well into the project (like lots of time and effort  :-[), and just decided I lost interest for no good reason, and I just squished up all my clay and put it in my scrap box.  I can't even remember what it was and this was a week ago-I'm getting old, or I just didn't care as much as I thought I did  ::).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:37:39 AM by Bonipie »

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 01:01:56 AM »
Fran,
Sometimes I have a really cool idea, and try and try, and little by little figure out one by one the difficult things, and when I get to the impossible things, I start figuring out the things I can do to replace the things I can't do.  And, by this time, I realize I don't care about it anyway, so I just move on...  Just sayin'.  We're talking a lot of time here.

Yes, I realise that and I was beginning to despair, but I do think that Sculpey clay has something to do with my inability to do this that and the fact that it's 1 am...
I was about ready to give up on polymer clay, never mind this earring, but I took that big chunky one apart, and tried again with that blue trans Premo clay.
At this time of night it was hard, but I did manage a small one the coil broke twice, so it's slightly mangled looking.

I have enough for a 2nd, but I'm too tired, the coil broke already and I haven't got a complete loop yet.

One thing I have found with earrings is that I like movement.  Something sort of like you're doing, but with movement.  You could quite easily make several flowery sorta horn type beads with shaded clay, put a wire between each flower (a piece of wire with a loop on each end-the flower would go between the loops sort of like this, but a flower not a fish  ;D http://www.pinterest.com/pin/503558802058087603/ ).  Or, this is very cool-there's a photo (that I can't find right now) that has maybe 6 flowers, very thin at the edge and less fancy (if you know what I mean) that looks a lot like you want to do, but not in a spiral, individual petals. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/503558802057726788/

Just tossing ideas.  I can't believe you have made it this far.  You go Girl!

Oh I had thought about that, but didn't want to give up yet... now I do, but I'll see what I get tomorrow with the rest of this blue trans, then I'll crumple up all those failures, and make cones...
I thought of stamens too...

If you find that 6 flowers thing do let me know, that sounds interesting.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

P.S.  Thinking about it, I did just that a few days ago-I was working on a project, well into the project (like lots of time and effort  :-[), and just decided I lost interest for no good reason, and I just squished up all my clay and put it in my scrap box.  I can't even remember what it was and this was a week ago-I'm getting old, or I just didn't care as much as I thought I did  ::).

Noted nice to be allowed to give up sometimes.

I was thinking of getting out a few packs of clay and sitting there until I'd made 4 or 6 different things - anything at all, and nothing to do with coils like this...
Tomorrow...
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 09:52:27 AM »
1am  :o

Anyway - l had a similar thought to Boni's, about making individual pieces and putting them on wire with little beads between - they could look quite similar to your original concept and make life easier..... ;)

Soft clay just makes your idea harder to achieve.....it can get so frustrating, and it's hard to abandon something when so much time's been invested in it, but we don't want you giving up on polymer clay!

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 10:34:14 AM »
Are you able to make a model in paper of what you are trying to form? I wonder if you could try that and then use that as the template?

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 05:16:49 PM »
1am  :o

Anyway - l had a similar thought to Boni's, about making individual pieces and putting them on wire with little beads between - they could look quite similar to your original concept and make life easier..... ;)

Yes, so I tried this:

Didn't like it but that's trying to make it all at once in raw clay, so then I made these:

And I think these may work better, baked and THEN strung together.

Soft clay just makes your idea harder to achieve.....it can get so frustrating, and it's hard to abandon something when so much time's been invested in it, but we don't want you giving up on polymer clay!

The Blue Trans Premo is less soft but stretchy, still I did at long long last manage to make this:

Happy with that one, I then tried to make another to go with it... and failed tried again next day and failed again, and again.

I think it must be a pendant, since it looks like there'll only ever be one of them.

I just hope it doesn't collapse when being baked... or go all droopy.

Now my next project is to continue working on my new mermaid's tail, I can't wait to see what MonkeyAnn and the rest of you think of it... if I ever get it done, but no log I'm afraid, Ann.
But it might take a while, 'cos we are planning on clearing the Summerhouse tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:21:31 PM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »
Are you able to make a model in paper of what you are trying to form? I wonder if you could try that and then use that as the template?

Emma

I don't know...
FranOnTheEdge

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Hi Fran

If you can't make a second to match, go for mis-matched, make the differences a bit more obvious.  I like mis-matched, also like organic, good terms for handmade. 

On Sunday Jude had a go at the hyperbolic shape, didn't work, but she now has some good ideas for a pendant.  I had a go at trying to support a coil of clay on a strip of paper, again didn't get anywhere near what you were after, but I now have some ideas for earrings.  We will let you know how we get on.

Thanks for sending us on an interesting journey.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
Hi Fran

If you can't make a second to match, go for mis-matched, make the differences a bit more obvious.  I like mis-matched, also like organic, good terms for handmade. 

On Sunday Jude had a go at the hyperbolic shape, didn't work, but she now has some good ideas for a pendant.  I had a go at trying to support a coil of clay on a strip of paper, again didn't get anywhere near what you were after, but I now have some ideas for earrings.  We will let you know how we get on.

Thanks for sending us on an interesting journey.

That's brilliant that it's given you ideas.  I've had another idea too:

I can't wait to see what you and Jude come up with.
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »
That is cool Fran - I like how one idea is leading to another and another for you. It is fun to see your creative muse in progress!

Keep up the great work

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
That is cool Fran - I like how one idea is leading to another and another for you. It is fun to see your creative muse in progress!

Keep up the great work

Emma

Lol. You're welcome.
At the moment my creative muse is trying to come up with a stand of some sort to cook these on... or to at least cook the best dangly one on - with too little wire.
We did have a wire coathanger that Ian appropriated to poke a cable through the ceiling from downstairs and through the very, very thick 300 yr old wall from the new part of the house (newer anyway) into where we are in the oldest part, so we can have decent TV and a phone that works for longer than 3 weeks but as, in his infinite wisdom, he cut the wire coathanger to do this, the remains are neither of them long enough to make this stand thing...

He did say he's pretty sure he saw some old wire at the back of the garage while he was beginning to clear it last weekend, but this garage hasn't been cleared for at least 14 years when my Dad died.  He was the clearer upper of the family, the tidy one.  The rest of us?... no, not really.
So it's fallen to Ian - the one who works really hard all week and comes home knackered every night after running up & down stairs 30 - 50 times a day.
So it could take a while to get to this wire - if it's even there.

In the meantime the dangly earring keeps falling of its current perch, and each time it falls there's a little bit more damage: I really wish I could make more of them.  Hey Ho!

In the meantime, I've finish making my 'Forbidden Fruit' pendant in coloured clay.  And I'm now making hair for a Mermaid. 
FranOnTheEdge

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 01:08:46 PM »
Hi Fran

An idea for a dangley earring baking frame.  Have you a cardboard box the right size to: a, fit in your oven and b, big enough to hang the earring from. If yes, take box, make holes, or notches, on opposite sides near the top, feed through a skewer (or the reduced coat hanger) and it is ready to go.

Or, if right size not available, take a sheet of fairly stiff card and make a three sided frame, with a back and 2 arms.  Mark where the fold should go, score with a craft knife then fold.  Now ready for holes/notches and skewer.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey