EJR Beads

Author Topic: Had An Idea For Earrings - How To Do It?  (Read 7552 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Had An Idea For Earrings - How To Do It?
« on: August 13, 2014, 05:57:10 PM »
I've had this idea for a pair of earrings, what I was thinking was a small thin sheet of white pearl and purple pearl clays which have been blended until they merge where they join but are still their own colour elsewhere.  But the purple is dominant - so the pearl is just an edging. okay?

Right, and then you take the sheet, and roll it up, but the sheet is wider at one end than the other so the inside is taller than the outside, and when it's rolled up you curve the pearl edge (which is lowest)... this is very hard to explain, here's a drawing that approximately shows what I mean:

At the top is the sheet when flat, at the bottom right is the end result earring... sort of.

I thought of using copper wire through it and replacing that with silver when I've ordered some. (If I can afford it.)

The question is, is this possible and how would you do it?

1) Obviously I'd need to blend the clay colours in my pasta machine, but what's the smallest number of times I'd need to pass it through to get it blended but not too much, obviously I'll stop when it looks right to me but I just wanted an idea.

2) what thickness setting do you think would be still capable of being handled without too much distortion of the sheet, and yet still make a fairly delicate end result? (not too chunky for an earring not so thin it tears or gets distorted or is too thin to handle easily.)

3) and this is the bit I'm most worried about:-  how can I get two earrings to look like a pair when I might have used all the pearl or all the purple ( I've only got one block of each) on the first earring and only be left with scrap this would NOT be the time to find myself left with just scrap!!!!

Help?    ???
FranOnTheEdge

Bonipie

• Boni
Re: Had An Idea For Earrings - How To Do It?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 10:45:59 PM »
At the top is the sheet when flat, at the bottom right is the end result earring... sort of.

I thought of using copper wire through it and replacing that with silver when I've ordered some. (If I can afford it.)

The question is, is this possible and how would you do it?

1) Obviously I'd need to blend the clay colours in my pasta machine, but what's the smallest number of times I'd need to pass it through to get it blended but not too much, obviously I'll stop when it looks right to me but I just wanted an idea.

2) what thickness setting do you think would be still capable of being handled without too much distortion of the sheet, and yet still make a fairly delicate end result? (not too chunky for an earring not so thin it tears or gets distorted or is too thin to handle easily.)

3) and this is the bit I'm most worried about:-  how can I get two earrings to look like a pair when I might have used all the pearl or all the purple ( I've only got one block of each) on the first earring and only be left with scrap this would NOT be the time to find myself left with just scrap!!!!

Help?    ???

Fran,
1.  Do you know how to make a blend.  You will need them to 'cross over' each other not as much as usual.  You need to go here:
http://desiredcreations.com/howTo_CABraidRainbowCane.htm
She shows how to make a blend, and she shows how to make a skinny piece of clay (you have to make an easy tool to make the skinny strip of blended clay).  If you overlap the clay just a bit, you will have the blend in the middle, with purple on one edge and pearl on the other.

2.  This is where it gets messy.  What you/I would think would be a way to do it (I am assuming from your really good illustration it is a spiral, not some circles) would be a bit thinner than 1/2 way on the pm.  I would start at the bottom, and to make the bell shape, I would roll the purple in a tight circle, and with my fingers flatten the pearl as I roll the purple.  That would give you the bell shape.  But, you really need something to keep the shape as you continue with the rest of the earring.  In theory, you would keep rolling the purple and flattening the pearl until you had it as high as you wanted.  But, you would need something to keep the shape of each layer as you worked your way up.  And, you would need to prop up the bottom of the earring and each layer until you are done making it and done baking it.  And, you would need the precision of a machine to make the thin edge even and maintain it through 2 whole earrings.  So, think about that.  I would try the shape with scrap clay to see if you can manage the shape before I would worry about using ths blended clay.  (This would be an extremely narrow blend-not easy todo.  You could even make it smaller at the bottom and larger at the top or vice versa.) 

3.  This is not the most difficult part.  Earrings do not use very much clay.  You could make a whole mess of earrings with one block of each color.

4.  Good luck  ::).

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 03:05:45 PM »

Fran,
1.  Do you know how to make a blend.

In theory, yes.  In practice, no, never seen a need for it before.

You will need them to 'cross over' each other not as much as usual.  You need to go here:
http://desiredcreations.com/howTo_CABraidRainbowCane.htm
She shows how to make a blend,

Yes I see that.

and she shows how to make a skinny piece of clay

I see that, it's fairly obvious really.

(you have to make an easy tool to make the skinny strip of blended clay). 

I can't see this anywhere on that page, no tool at all.

If you overlap the clay just a bit, you will have the blend in the middle, with purple on one edge and pearl on the other.

2.  This is where it gets messy.  What you/I would think would be a way to do it (I am assuming from your really good illustration it is a spiral, not some circles)

Yes, it is meant to be a spiral

would be a bit thinner than 1/2 way on the pm.

What does that mean?  Halfway on the PM??

I would start at the bottom, and to make the bell shape, I would roll the purple in a tight circle, and with my fingers flatten the pearl as I roll the purple.  That would give you the bell shape.  But, you really need something to keep the shape as you continue with the rest of the earring.  In theory, you would keep rolling the purple and flattening the pearl until you had it as high as you wanted.  But, you would need something to keep the shape of each layer as you worked your way up.

Well I've found that what you need is to not touch each flared out... 'petal' (for want of a better word) once you have the shape. 

This is of course impossible, as I keep nudging it, dropping it, or when I line 2 or more up on a skewer, they keep swinging into each other... or the skewer falls off and they all mash together, or the phone rings and my husband is on a rare break and want to chat meanwhile I have one of these things halfway through making and the latest 'petal' has the rest of the strip hanging from it very thin clay on this one so it's stretching, and stretching... and the inevitable happens and it begins to tear, then I balance the central copper wire against my acrylic roller, which is against the keyboard, so it won't move my 3rd thingie is not actually touching anything now so I think hooray, it's safe - but I forget about it, as we discuss my husband's up coming birthday, and I lean on the strip, it folds and compresses... and .... sigh, I must be the most cack-handed crafter there is!

And, you would need to prop up the bottom of the earring and each layer until you are done making it and done baking it.  And, you would need the precision of a machine to make the thin edge even and maintain it through 2 whole earrings. 

I think any kind of 'precision' is well out of the window, learn to love irregularity!  ROFLMAO!

Plus I guess it would all sag terribly while baking... oh well...

So, think about that.  I would try the shape with scrap clay to see if you can manage the shape before I would worry about using ths blended clay.  (This would be an extremely narrow blend-not easy todo.  You could even make it smaller at the bottom and larger at the top or vice versa.) 

Abso-lutely!  I guess I need a few years practice yet...

3.  This is not the most difficult part.  Earrings do not use very much clay.  You could make a whole mess of earrings with one block of each color.

Ooh I think it is, because it's the most difficult part (making it) times 2, and making it the 2nd time to look similar to the first time... and as I've just found out that's not possible.

I wasn't thinking so much of running out of clay from 2 blocks as of running out of the tiny narrow blend, you'd need to make enough of the thin blend to be able to cut off 2 stretches of it the same length, so as to have 2 bits the same to try and make 2 earrings out of them. That's what I meant originally, and I could just see myself making a hash of it, and having to try to remake the thin blend from the scrappy bits left after messing it up... it wouldn't be possible, you end up with just some lilac clay.

Okay enough imagining, wanna see the daft results?

Far left, that's the 1st attempt using thicker clay than the rest but also using that shape I drew on PhotoShop, I think it's easier with a straight strip, all the rest are with straight strips. That one's too chunky.
2nd left attempt no 2, last - far right attempt no 3 - (where the phone rang,) 2nd from right attempt no 4 with rest of strip from no 3... sigh...

P.S. far left and far right are upside down, far left is so heavy it kept sliding down the wire and mashing the bottom 'petal' when the other way up, far right is just too darned flimsy to touch, I've already destroyed it just trying to put them in the right order on the hanger.

Oh well, it was a nice idea.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:11:04 PM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
They are priceless.  I went to the pics first, which made the dialog even more hilarious.

Thanks so much for a wonderful experience.  I still can't stop laughing.  Absolutely no offence meant.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 04:50:49 PM »
They are priceless.  I went to the pics first, which made the dialog even more hilarious.

Thanks so much for a wonderful experience.  I still can't stop laughing.  Absolutely no offence meant.

None taken, I thought it was pretty funny myself... in an anguished kind of way.
FranOnTheEdge

Cara Jane

• Cara Jane's Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »
Keep experimenting you'll get there. Love the concept

Cara
Cara Jane Hayman - UK Polymer Clay Artist and Tutor
www.carajane.co.uk/  www.facebook.com/CaraJanePolymerClay

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »
Fran,
I don't know what you see, but I see some really cool 'rustic bead' earrings.  The middle 2 could be a pair.  Now, you just need to make a match for #1 and #4.  I'm quite into rustic right now, and anything goes.  Basically, when the clay is unbaked, you can use powders, pastels, and anything else that sticks to unbaked clay.  You can also texture the clay before curing.  You can texture after curing, add paint, antiquing the textures, accent the edges and tips.

Or, just roll it all up in a ball and start over  ;D.

So far, you have learned a ton of stuff.  All the things that could go wrong seem to have been part of your learning process.

A couple of answers:
Go to http://desiredcreations.com/howTo_TLPMNarrower.htm to see how to make a very narrow piece of clay in your pasta machine.  I made this device (you may not have to make yours exactly like hers, just so it gets the job done-like I made my clay 'stop' way narrower and thinner than hers.  The link to the tut is pretty difficult to find, sorry 'bout that.

"...would be a bit thinner than 1/2 way on the pm."  My pasta machine goes from 0 (thickest) to 9 (thinnest).  So, halfway would be about 4 or 5 thickness.  I would do this using 3 or 4 on my machine.

You're doing good, girl.  Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 05:14:13 PM »
Thank you for a good read   ;D  Your results actually are pretty amazing....they might not match - tho as Boni said, the middle ones aren't far off  - but you have tried a very difficult idea and pulled it off, maybe not quite what you pictured but so what!

To help keep a sheet of clay narrow in my pasta machine l just sit a length of wooden dowling on top of the rollers - l have a couple of sizes that Him in the Shed cut for me - l guess the dowling is about 1.5 cm diameter.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
Fran, those are cool!

I think you should keep working the idea a bit futher.

When I think of any of my "signature" beads that have done well for me, they all started out a bit like this. I had the idea, and I tried it and it would invariably look a bit dodgy. But I'd keep doing a few more and after a while - those ideas that were going to work would show themselves and start to take shape and become workable.

Of course, some ideas just were never gonna fly and had to be tossed out!

But the point is sometimes you don't know until you push an idea to its limits and see if it wants to evolve for you or not.

The spiral and flare shapes are very pleasing and I am sure you could keep working this idea and create something very cool.

I would maybe do what you are doing and concentrate on the form first and then once you are happy with that aspect of the design, move on to the colour and incorporating blends etc.

But they are cool - they remind me of some sea plant - I can't recall what. But I love the organic shape.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Sylvia

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 06:28:28 PM »
. . . and, having knocked around in the PC world for a few years now, it's not often I see anything really new. I think those are outrageously wonderful.
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 11:13:18 PM »
I always say, make it 10 times.  That's if you know what you want and know how to do it.  You're engineering-it's gonna take more than 10 times.  But, really, I would keep playing with it.  You do have some talent.  There really is a lot you have already figured out.

One thing I see is that the center of the spiral is a bit thick.  Maybe stretch it out a bit so the clay doesn't build up in the middle.  But, I already see some improvement, especially the one on the right.

Carrie, thanks about the wooden dowel trick.  I knew I heard about something else working, but couldn't quite remember what it was.  I know when I made my clay lump, it was easier than I thought and worked better than I thought.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 01:10:26 AM »
Wow, what a lot of encouragement!
Made me think, well if I'm going to make lots of these, I'd better make them with clay I have lots of... Sculpey III Tranquility.
So I tried it, I tried it lots of times, but it seems the Sculpey is just too soft to work with.

I was using Blue Translucent Premo earlier and although it was difficult it was possible to pull it into shape, the Sculpey just tears too easily.

I'm going to have to keep remaking these with the same lump of clay over and over again.
FranOnTheEdge

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 08:52:53 AM »
Have you tried leeching the clay, this stiffens the clay.  Take a small amount of your blue clay to leech and check out if it helps any.

To leech; roll the clay on a medium setting, place it between two sheets of paper and leave it for a while.  To speed up the process you can sit on it, weight and body heat speeds it up.  The paper will act like a sponge and draw out excess oils.  Can't remember how long it takes, try 10 mins sitting method, or an hour left one work area, then check it. 
If it is over done, mix with some unleeched clay, or Fimo Mix Quick (Sculpey do a clay softener too).
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »
Have you tried leeching the clay, this stiffens the clay.  Take a small amount of your blue clay to leech and check out if it helps any.

To leech; roll the clay on a medium setting, place it between two sheets of paper and leave it for a while.  To speed up the process you can sit on it, weight and body heat speeds it up.  The paper will act like a sponge and draw out excess oils.  Can't remember how long it takes, try 10 mins sitting method, or an hour left one work area, then check it. 
If it is over done, mix with some unleeched clay, or Fimo Mix Quick (Sculpey do a clay softener too).

Leeching!  Ah, read about that a lot but never done it, so completely forgot about it.

I was thinking 'it's no good me putting it in the fridge 'cos the moment my hot hands touch it, it's not cold any more.'  The fridge method seems to work for  MoldMaker but not SculpeyIII, for some reason so I'll try leeching.  Thanks for the timely reminder, Ann.
FranOnTheEdge

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »
Hi Fran, Jude here (Ann's grownup offspiring)

the shape you have looks like hyperbolic geometry. you know how there are 360o in a circle, and if you subtract from this angle, you get a cone? well, if you have *more* than 360o at the centre, you'd get something like a circle that won't lay flat? which you could take further, like this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hyperbolic+crochet&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rjTvU7uEGKSO7AaP-YDIBQ&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=899

...well, that's hyperbolic geometry. it's common in corals as it gives a large surface area to feed, but man made examples are mostly computer generated or crocheted. in crochet, you basically increase "too fast" (say, every 2nd or 3rd stitch). if you do this in the round, it will eventually make a "ball" (like most of the images linked above). if made in yarn, yours would be crocheted back & forth from a foundation chain as long as you want the finished earring. as the working edge gets longer, it starts to "spiral" around the foundation chain, forming your shape.

which brings us back to clay. I think the easiest way to imitate this in clay is to roll a log as long as you want the finished earrings, and then start pinching along one edge (so that edge gets longer and the log goes banana shaped). keep doing this and the long edge will be forced to form a spiral (or a squiggly zig zag type pattern, but it should be easy to encourage into a spiral)

good luck.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey