EJR Beads

Author Topic: Resin recommendation?  (Read 7776 times)

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
Resin recommendation?
« on: April 16, 2011, 04:19:48 AM »
Am looking for a resin I can use on top of polymer clay,  any recommendations?

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
Re: Resin recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
Am gonna bump this up as I didn't get any replies when I posted and am still looking for a good brand of resin that is compatiable with polymer clay. 

I found a product called Envirotex Lite Pour On...anyone heard of it?

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:04:10 PM »
I've only used one, which is Geodo Crystal resin. Takes a couple of days to cure despite saying 24 hours (and takes longer when it's cold) but it's really strong and shiny and domes nicely.

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I saw that too, thank you, I'll have a nose into it. x

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:53:30 PM »
I've heard of it - I think I even bought some but never tried it - I have heard it's ok with clay. But that was a few years back so would be old formula clay. Worth a try if you have some already. But if not I would go with Anna's suggestion as it's known to be ok.
Shelley

rubyrube

• Carol
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:50:49 PM »
Am I right in thinking that the resin will give a glass like effect to the clay? Also is it just used on cured clay?
Thanks, Carol
Carol

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »
Am I right in thinking that the resin will give a glass like effect to the clay? Also is it just used on cured clay?
Thanks, Carol

Yeah, it looks like glass. It's a great effect! You can't use it on raw clay because it goes all horrible and bubbly if you heat it up and would probably burn at clay curing temperatures... ask me how I know that! ;)

I know you can use a gentle heat to persuade it to cure quicker though.

rubyrube

• Carol
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
Thanks Anna, think I will also give it a try, one more for the shopping list.
Carol
Carol

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 10:04:55 PM »
Have a nosy at my inchie when you get your swaps back, I've used resin on there so you'll see what the effect is.

Ooops, tiny spoiler there! ;)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 10:57:55 PM »
Have a nosy at my inchie when you get your swaps back, I've used resin on there so you'll see what the effect is.

tbh, I think that is about the only thing I can guess about the inchies so far  - that yours will be very colourful and resin-ey!

But I guess you might surprise us all with one of your more muted colour palettes.

It's worse than waiting for Christmas this.   :o

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

polynana

• Nan xxx
    • Polynana Beads
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 11:19:51 PM »

tbh, I think that is about the only thing I can guess about the inchies so far  - that yours will be very colourful and resin-ey!

But I guess you might surprise us all with one of your more muted colour palettes.

Emma

You're right Emma, very excited here, can't wait to see what the others have done.

KMD

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 11:37:40 PM »
I've only used one, which is Geodo Crystal resin. Takes a couple of days to cure despite saying 24 hours (and takes longer when it's cold) but it's really strong and shiny and domes nicely.

I found it Anna in my local craft shop but I winced at the price does it go off quick or does it last for ages?
Karen

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 12:05:31 AM »

I found it Anna in my local craft shop but I winced at the price does it go off quick or does it last for ages?
Karen

Well I bought some months and months ago and it's still fine. You just have to be really careful you don't get any of the hardener part in the resin, because even the tiniest bit will make it cure slowly and end up ruined.

It is expensive but I used to use Fimo Deko gel for the same effect and the resin costs about the same per ml (actually it's a bit cheaper), plus it allows me to use thinner clay and save a little that way. Shame they don't do little trial size bottles so you could see if you like it without the expense of a big bottle.

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 12:07:59 AM »

Emma

Well Emma, what's it worth for me to send out the swaps right away rather than hanging on to them for ages just to wind you up with the suspense? ;) :D

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 12:29:15 AM »
ROFL - probably nothing, since I am a "shoot the hostage" kinda gal .But suffice to say, I won't be sad if y'all HURRY IT UP a bit!

It's alright for all of you taking part. At the very least you have seen your own tiles (of only in your mind's eye still)

But poor us haven't a thing to keep us going.

Its lucky the gallery threads are full of so much great stuff really - something there to keep us all going.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies