EJR Beads

Author Topic: Conditioning Old Clay  (Read 6632 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Re: Conditioning Old Clay
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »
I've used baby oil ok. I'd be worried about olive oil going rancid if left. But if you are using all the clay immediately I don't see any issues there.

Emma

It's made me wonder about adding say... lavender?  The scent may not last but if you use a tiny sprig of lavender pressed into the clay you could then cover it with resin to preserve it at the front and have more pressed into the back of it... this is just me thinking aloud.  It may not work at all.

Star Anise?  That's pretty as well as scented.
FranOnTheEdge

BBCrafts

• BeckieBooCrafts
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »
Fran And Emma- I have had Some polymer icing that instead of using tls I used olive oil sitting around for months and its still fine.
Call Me Becka *Smiley Face*
https://beckieboocrafts.wordpress.com/

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 10:08:30 AM »
Fran And Emma- I have had Some polymer icing that instead of using tls I used olive oil sitting around for months and its still fine.

polymer icing?  What's that?
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »

That's good to know!

Mind you, I suppose oil has been used for centuries to preserve food. SO I guess it depends on the conditions also.

I had some precious metal clay that had olive oil mixed into it and it went absolutely awful - stank to high heaven! But there are other organic binders in the metal clay I think so it could well have been something to do with those and combining with them somehow?

Personally I'll probably still stick to the baby oil but it is good to know we have options!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies