Sculpting & Modelling > Sculpting & Modelling Questions

Broke my Eye!

(1/2) > >>

FranOnTheEdge:
Hi,
I baked today and then managed to drop my reptile eye on the dog where it then bounced onto the floor - and when I picked it up - the loop had snapped off:

If I rebake with some bake n bond it will still be a rather weak join, won't it?
Could I trust it to hold if I want to thread wire, chain or cord of some kind through it and wear it?
I couldn't, could I?

Sylvia:
Nope.

If it was me, I'd back the piece with a layer of clay, thick enough to embed a loop of wire in.

It occurs to me you could have a go at covering the loop with clay, but I've never tried that.

MelMcG:
I've never tried 'bake n bond' so I can't comment on it, but you could also try superglue, though it might be safer to smooth the broken area and drill a little hole to thread some wire through to make a bail.  I have found polymer clay that thin isn't strong enough to withstand too much wear.  It would be a shame if it got caught of something and broke while you were wearing it.  Hope that helps.

Mel  :)

FranOnTheEdge:

--- Quote from: MelMcG on July 18, 2014, 03:59:27 PM ---I've never tried 'bake n bond' so I can't comment on it, but you could also try superglue, though it might be safer to smooth the broken area and drill a little hole to thread some wire through to make a bail.  I have found polymer clay that thin isn't strong enough to withstand too much wear.  It would be a shame if it got caught of something and broke while you were wearing it.  Hope that helps.

--- End quote ---

A 'bail'?  what's that?

But I can easily drill a hole and sand off the rough patches.
I only have 1 sort of wire though, it's green 24 guage (0.5mm) Would that be good enough?

@Sylvia,
Thanks, I'll think about that one too.

MelMcG:
Have a look at the photo of Claire's (MilleD) necklace on page 1 of the April Showcase thread and you'll see what I mean.  It's the third photo down.  Hopefully this link will take you there - http://www.polyclay.co.uk/index.php/topic,1784.0.html .  Green is a matter of personal preference I think.  Personally I'd use a .8 or 1mm wire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version