EJR Beads

Author Topic: Broke my Eye!  (Read 3278 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Broke my Eye!
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:28:37 PM »
Hi,
I baked today and then managed to drop my reptile eye on the dog where it then bounced onto the floor - and when I picked it up - the loop had snapped off:

If I rebake with some bake n bond it will still be a rather weak join, won't it?
Could I trust it to hold if I want to thread wire, chain or cord of some kind through it and wear it?
I couldn't, could I?
FranOnTheEdge

Sylvia

Re: Broke my Eye!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 12:46:12 AM »
Nope.

If it was me, I'd back the piece with a layer of clay, thick enough to embed a loop of wire in.

It occurs to me you could have a go at covering the loop with clay, but I've never tried that.
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:59:27 PM »
I've never tried 'bake n bond' so I can't comment on it, but you could also try superglue, though it might be safer to smooth the broken area and drill a little hole to thread some wire through to make a bail.  I have found polymer clay that thin isn't strong enough to withstand too much wear.  It would be a shame if it got caught of something and broke while you were wearing it.  Hope that helps.

Mel  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:42:26 PM »
I've never tried 'bake n bond' so I can't comment on it, but you could also try superglue, though it might be safer to smooth the broken area and drill a little hole to thread some wire through to make a bail.  I have found polymer clay that thin isn't strong enough to withstand too much wear.  It would be a shame if it got caught of something and broke while you were wearing it.  Hope that helps.

A 'bail'?  what's that?

But I can easily drill a hole and sand off the rough patches.
I only have 1 sort of wire though, it's green 24 guage (0.5mm) Would that be good enough?

@Sylvia,
Thanks, I'll think about that one too.
FranOnTheEdge

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:07:47 PM »
Have a look at the photo of Claire's (MilleD) necklace on page 1 of the April Showcase thread and you'll see what I mean.  It's the third photo down.  Hopefully this link will take you there - http://www.polyclay.co.uk/index.php/topic,1784.0.html .  Green is a matter of personal preference I think.  Personally I'd use a .8 or 1mm wire.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 10:19:20 AM »
Really I don't think polymer clay is strong enough on its own to make the hanging loops for pendants. You will always be at risk of them breaking.

You can work them with a wire skeleton inside (wire armature as we would call it). Even then though, I think the risk of the clay coating chipping off or cracking is quite high.

It is certainly worth looking at other options. You can easily embed a strong wire jumpring into your designs - with your clay components covering half of the loop, embedding it securely into the clay and the other half sticking out to act as a hanging loop.

Or you could create a loop from wire to embed into the clay. Or use a commercially made bail to glue onto the back

There are lots of ways to work the hanging loop so you can have a strong, secure connection. In my opinion though, working them from polymer clay really doesn't work in the long run.

So maybe as frustrating as this is,  it is at least a good lesson to investigate other options for your next pieces. And that is good claying - if we don't learn something valuable from each piece we make, we are probably not taking enough risks with our clay! We have discussed this lots of the forum before - how you actually learn a lot more from what goes wrong than from what goes right.  :D

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »
Well... I've found a piece of much thicker copper wire... no idea of the gauge as it's just a piece of wire, no roll or package to say.
Can't seem to find a) an oval bezel that I like (or can afford!) or one the right size.
I did find a few YouTube vids showing how to make a sideways facing loop arrangement from wire... so that's helpful.

Until I've tried it I can't be sure if just bare wire will look right or totally wrong.
Perhaps not coating the wire exactly but adding a polymer clay - thingie, plaque maybe? to the front of the wire, might work?  I'll have to try it.

Using a commercially make 'bail' seems rather wasteful to me 'cos most of them have the most decorative part as what's going to be pushed into the clay and thus will be invisible...
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
Hi Fran - re bails....check out this thread - http://www.polyclay.co.uk/index.php/topic,1898.msg36332.html#msg36332

:)