Sculpting & Modelling > Sculpting & Modelling Questions

Pearl-Ex on Polymer Clay?

(1/2) > >>

FranOnTheEdge:
Hi,
I have a fair few PearlEx powders, can I paint them onto clay using liquid Gum Arabic?
(over acrylic paint too)

Carrie:
No idea about gum arabic and clay.  Generally pearlex/mica powders are used on raw clay - they don't stick to cured clay.

If you want to mix them into something then liquid clay would be a better choice for raw clay, and on baked clay that will be re-baked. 

l expect you could mix them into polyclay-specific varnish to use on baked clay, and over acrylic paint (dry and also possibly oven-hardened) that you've used on baked clay.  It could give an interesting effect - l haven't tried!

l think, with all your questions, you're full of ideas so just dive in and try some of them out!  If it goes wrong there's not much wasted, is there  ;)

FranOnTheEdge:

--- Quote from: Carrie on July 17, 2014, 08:29:15 PM ---No idea about gum arabic and clay.  Generally pearlex/mica powders are used on raw clay - they don't stick to cured clay.
--- End quote ---

No, that's why I asked about using Gum Arabic, since that's the binder I've used before when making shimmer mists with Pearl-Ex powders.

--- Quote ---If you want to mix them into something then liquid clay would be a better choice for raw clay, and on baked clay that will be re-baked.
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't want to paint Pearl-Ex onto raw clay, not when I'm using flesh coloured Super Sculpey.
Over black acrylic - yes.
and maybe - if I ever manage to pluck up the courage to use it - coloured clay.

--- Quote ---l expect you could mix them into polyclay-specific varnish to use on baked clay, and over acrylic paint (dry and also possibly oven-hardened) that you've used on baked clay.  It could give an interesting effect - l haven't tried!
--- End quote ---

Hmmm maybe.  I'm not convinced it would give me the effect I want.
I just wish my black clay was here, to get the effect I want would then be so much easier.

--- Quote ---l think, with all your questions, you're full of ideas so just dive in and try some of them out!  If it goes wrong there's not much wasted, is there  ;)

--- End quote ---

I'm asking too many questions aren't I? Sorry.

Bonipie:
I have not tried it, but I have the Gum Arabic and lots of PearlEx.  But, I didn't come up with the idea myself.  Someone was asking someone about something on another forum, and someone told someone that you could mix powdered Gum Arabic with PearlEx, about 1 to 4, if I remember right, mix in a bit of water when you wanted to use it (to the consistency you wanted to use), and paint it onto clay.

Your results may vary.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

Bonipie:
And, furthermore....

No, you're not asking too many questions (in my opinion).  Gets us thinking, which is a good thing. ;D ;D

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version