EJR Beads

Author Topic: Pearl-Ex on Polymer Clay?  (Read 2332 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Pearl-Ex on Polymer Clay?
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:39:05 PM »
Hi,
I have a fair few PearlEx powders, can I paint them onto clay using liquid Gum Arabic?
(over acrylic paint too)
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Pearl-Ex on Polymer Clay?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:29:15 PM »
No idea about gum arabic and clay.  Generally pearlex/mica powders are used on raw clay - they don't stick to cured clay.

If you want to mix them into something then liquid clay would be a better choice for raw clay, and on baked clay that will be re-baked. 

l expect you could mix them into polyclay-specific varnish to use on baked clay, and over acrylic paint (dry and also possibly oven-hardened) that you've used on baked clay.  It could give an interesting effect - l haven't tried!

l think, with all your questions, you're full of ideas so just dive in and try some of them out!  If it goes wrong there's not much wasted, is there  ;)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 10:22:53 PM »
No idea about gum arabic and clay.  Generally pearlex/mica powders are used on raw clay - they don't stick to cured clay.

No, that's why I asked about using Gum Arabic, since that's the binder I've used before when making shimmer mists with Pearl-Ex powders.

If you want to mix them into something then liquid clay would be a better choice for raw clay, and on baked clay that will be re-baked.

I wouldn't want to paint Pearl-Ex onto raw clay, not when I'm using flesh coloured Super Sculpey.
Over black acrylic - yes.
and maybe - if I ever manage to pluck up the courage to use it - coloured clay.

l expect you could mix them into polyclay-specific varnish to use on baked clay, and over acrylic paint (dry and also possibly oven-hardened) that you've used on baked clay.  It could give an interesting effect - l haven't tried!

Hmmm maybe.  I'm not convinced it would give me the effect I want.
I just wish my black clay was here, to get the effect I want would then be so much easier.

l think, with all your questions, you're full of ideas so just dive in and try some of them out!  If it goes wrong there's not much wasted, is there  ;)

I'm asking too many questions aren't I? Sorry.
FranOnTheEdge

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 05:29:10 AM »
I have not tried it, but I have the Gum Arabic and lots of PearlEx.  But, I didn't come up with the idea myself.  Someone was asking someone about something on another forum, and someone told someone that you could mix powdered Gum Arabic with PearlEx, about 1 to 4, if I remember right, mix in a bit of water when you wanted to use it (to the consistency you wanted to use), and paint it onto clay.

Your results may vary.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:32:08 AM »
And, furthermore....

No, you're not asking too many questions (in my opinion).  Gets us thinking, which is a good thing. ;D ;D

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:56:08 PM »
No, not asking too many questions  :)

I thought though that your question was a general query rather than specific - so as you already have gum arabic and pearlex you might as well just go ahead and try it out - and let us know the result, both in the short and long term  8)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 10:23:56 AM »
No - you're not asking too many questions. Carrie is just encouraging you to get stuck in because you have some great ideas - and sometimes the best way to learn is to just try it out and see what happens.

When you are trying new things  - remember you don't need to try out unknown ideas on important projects. Get into the habit of doing test tiles for some of the ideas.

This is just using a little bit of scrap clay to test out whatever idea you have, and you can work it and bake it alongside other things so you always have a little experiment on the go.

So you maybe should make a few test tiles with just some quickly made textures and additions, typical of the type of thing you are doing in your project. You can then bake these and use them to try out any ideas you have. Once you see how the idea works on the test tile, you can then go ahead and use the idea in a project if it is a success.

And if it is a failure, well you have still learned something useful, but not ruined an important piece that you've spent a long time on

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies