EJR Beads

Author Topic: Bake N' Bond Or Glue?  (Read 3018 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Bake N' Bond Or Glue?
« on: July 17, 2014, 06:10:47 PM »
Hi,
When you have a few baked pieces that you need to attach to another baked piece, do you use another piece of clay and/or bake n' bond or do you use glue?
FranOnTheEdge

Karolina.S

Re: Bake N' Bond Or Glue?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 06:21:36 PM »
If you don´t want to put it back into the oven then glue if you don´t mind baking it again then any liquid clay like the bake and bond will do the job.
The liquid clay bond is super strong.
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:35:55 PM »
I don't mind baking, I was thinking of adding a tiny fresh clay post as well as bake n' bond, so I can add the baked cogs in position on the baked pendant.
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »
In that case, yes, Bake and Bond would be an excellent choice - it's tackier than other liquid clays.  But any will do the job.  No need to use more than a tiny bit - you don't want it oozing  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »
Yes I just got my BakeN'Bond today and I noticed that it's just like TLS - is there any difference?
(Apart from the TLS's 2 fl oz being 46ml and the BakeNBond's 2 fl oz being 59ml.)

When I tried using a drop of TLS to help fix one part to another before baking I did realise that the TLS is runnier than I expected. And looks more so in the bottle than the BnB.
But is there any technical working difference?
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 09:56:04 PM »
The main difference is as you noticed - B and B is thicker and tackier so acts more like glue while raw, whereas liquid clay is quite slippy....you need to use a minute amount of the latter when joining pieces .  When baked they give the same result.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:01:09 PM by Carrie »

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »
The main difference is as you noticed - B and B is thicker and tackier so acts more like glue while raw, whereas liquid clay is quite slippy....you need to use a minute amount of the latter when joining pieces .  When baked they give the same result.

TLS has other uses as well - google for some other interesting things to do with liquid clays  ;)

Thanks.
Yes I've seen that you can transfer images and some people use it to make eyes - with limited results as sometimes is comes up fairly clear... and sometimes nothing you can do stops it looking cloudy.
FranOnTheEdge