EJR Beads

Author Topic: Working Small - 1st Attempts At SteamPunk Pendants  (Read 3607 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Working Small - 1st Attempts At SteamPunk Pendants
« on: July 14, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
Hi,
These are my first couple of attempts at some tiny (for me) pendants.
These aren't baked yet, so I can still make adjustments if needed.
For instance I had made the larger one with the loopy bit at the top, (6.5cm by 5cm - 9.5cm by 5cm with the loopy bit) and intended to suspend the pendant from that...
But although I used some TLS to attach it, I'm not convinced that it will stick to it at all, let along be strong enough to loop a chain or wire through and suspend the pendant from it...
Knowing my luck the oval of the pendant will fall off and smash to smitherines on the floor at the first opportunity.
So I'd prefer to either make a wire loop and imbed that into the body of the clay, or to make a hole now in the other end of the pendant to be cleaned up and filed smooth once baked - and have that loopy thing suspended below.
I've made more cogs so after adding the extras I'd intended to the main part of the pendant I could then add a bit more to that loopy thing...

Here's the picture:

The other more cabochon shaped pendant I made first.  I like that one better, probably because it all came together both from my vision for it and technically - quite smoothly. (5.5 cm by 3.5 cm)

The lumpy pipe is inspired by TinaJ's gorgeous art work 'Love Is In The Air' - well the whole thing really, the idea of a cabochon or a pendant at all, although I was going to do SteamPunk anyway if I was going to do anything - since I love working in that genre at the moment - and I don't have the talent for anything as beautiful as Tina's stuff.

I had intended to paint these two with black acrylic paint and then use gilder's wax or cosmic shimmer powders on them... but now I find out that acrylic paint can ruin your baked clay some months down the line... I don't want to do that.

Only I don't want it left pink. I HATE pink.  So I've no idea what to do next, feel a bit bewildered actually.
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Working Small - 1st Attempts At SteamPunk Pendants
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:05:49 PM »
They're really cool Fran

You just need to find products known to work over baked clay.

If you are looking to paint them with metallic colours, you could try the Inka Gold paints - a very versatile product, and works find on clay. We carry them at EJR Beads

For regular painting, good quality artist acrylic paints should be ok.

Maybe next time though, you'll find it easier to make them from black clay and apply any powders to that before baking.

This is the thing with clay though, one project just leads on to the next and slowly we hone in on what it is we are trying to achieve!

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 01:11:42 AM »
I have got:
Liquitex: phthalocyanine blue
DecoArts: some sort of plummy purple, don't like it much.
FolkArt: various including metallics.
Reeves: Silver
HobyCraft: Black - and the one I want to use.
PaperArtsy, Fresco Finish, Chalk Acrylics - trust that last one to have such a long name! Also black - but chalky.
and finally:
Royal & Langnickel Artist Paint Acrylic Mars Black.
I would like to know if any of these are of any use.
With Polymer clay I mean.

However, I would like to add that in hunting for my paints also I found some more of my little polymer clay heads (baked & painted) they just turned up in the bottom of a box - they've been tumbling about in a little zip lock bag together for some months now - and there isn't a single mark or chip on them - so I guess they at least pass along with the Royal & Langnickel Mars Black with which they were painted.

(One has green and purple painted on it - but I can't remember which paints they were, as all my stuff is still packed away in 64 litre boxes - I have an area the size of an A6 sheet to work on, it's very depressing. If I could get them all out I could figure it out.)

So that's one make saved from the wreakage.
I have a few colours of each of the rest (except the Royal & Langnickel).

And no, I'm sorry, but I didn't want to paint them with metallic colours, I wanted to paint them with black and then brush or wipe metallic wax over the top or brush metallic powders over the top, which will look quite different to just painting them with a single layer of metallic paint.

I have some old Metallic & Luster RubOns made by Craf-T Products they look very good over the black.
I guess they are an early version of gilding wax, I've had them years.

So I've tried them out:

I can't make anything from black clay.... yet.  It hasn't arrived. Ditto my extruder.
FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:37:24 PM »

I've now painted this little SteamPunk Nugget with various Gilders Waxes - and it looks even better in real life. So I'm quite pleased with this now..
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 09:19:58 PM »
It looks fantastic Fran - it's Frantastic!

Love the metallic waxes over the dark black.

Looking forward to seeing your next makes

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 09:39:45 PM »
Ooh yes - that looks great now! 

The cheaper acrylic paints like your hobbycraft black work really well on baked clay and it doesn't spoil the clay later at all.

Lots of polyclay artists are colouring their work with acrylic paint atm - some suggest putting it back into the oven for a little while to really cure the paint onto the bead.

Billski

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 07:20:53 AM »
Lovin the steampunk vibe

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:01:13 AM »
I love the faces!  They're really great!!

Mel  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 05:04:05 PM »
Thanks, Emma, Carrie, Billski, Mel.
I've now got this done:

Now I want the heart to look all glistening, so I plan to paint it with Fimo Gloss Glaze - can I use that to fix the heart in place in the little secret compartment?  Or will it just fall off?  The compartment has had a Cosmic Shimmer powder brushed over it before baking, well the whole pendant actually, but a fair bit of the powder managed to get into the compartment - does this complicate things? 

I don't plan to paint the whole pendant - or should I do that too to stop the cosmic shimmer from coming off?
If I don't need to I'd rather not.

Should I maybe use bake and bond to fix the heart in place?  Before or after the glaze?

While a recent storm raged - inbetween comforting my dog, I made this:

I saw a tutorial by Gabrielle Pollacco, which inspired this, but I've made the end of my tail much chunkier to stop it breaking when worn as a pendant, plus it's much rougher because I didn't look back at the tut so that roughness is all my clunky modelling, as I didn't dare turn the PC on while there was a danger of the dog burrowing down behind it and getting tangled up in the power cables etc - due to fear of thunder.

and this:

...is inspired by JonB's peach stone mould - made before I started with the real peach stones.  This is the pendant on which I wanted to use a bail made out of turquoise wire - that too thin 28 gauge stuff that I plaited, trying to make it thicker.

If you look carefully you can just see that bail on the mermaid's tail pendant - I thought it looked better on that one and the simple silver jump ring looks better on this.

And finally here's the peach stone ready to bake inside its first half mould - I'm leaving it in the mould until after baking, so that I don't distort the mould in taking it out before hand:

There you are see... I have been playing! Lol!
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »
Oh - what great pieces!!!!   I LOVE the mermaid tail one - and you're right, the twisty bail looks good with it and the jump-ring's perfect on the other.....there never is a one size fits all method as these pieces show  :D
It's often the way to go, reading a tute, getting an idea, then just making it your way  :)

I don't think the glaze will stick the two pieces together strongly enough.  Two-part epoxy is probably the best if you have any, but otherwise, perhaps superglue might do the trick....see what other suggestions people might have, though.  There are other glues but I guess you don't want to have to buy stuff if you can avoid it.  I would recommend that you try to remove some of the mica powder from the compartment first - can you perhaps use a tiny bit of sandpaper on the end of your little finger - or is it too small for that? 
It would be nice not to have to bake it again but Bake and Bond or any liquid clay would work perfectly.  Don't think the re-bake would affect the finish.  Varnish after the final bake. 

I don't know if Cosmic Shimmer needs sealing - Emma will know!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:54:12 PM by Carrie »

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 08:59:44 PM »
Wonderful Mermaid tail, Fran.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 04:47:47 PM »
Oh - what great pieces!!!!   I LOVE the mermaid tail one - and you're right, the twisty bail looks good with it and the jump-ring's perfect on the other.....there never is a one size fits all method as these pieces show  :D
It's often the way to go, reading a tute, getting an idea, then just making it your way  :)

I don't think the glaze will stick the two pieces together strongly enough.  Two-part epoxy is probably the best if you have any, but otherwise, perhaps superglue might do the trick....see what other suggestions people might have, though.  There are other glues but I guess you don't want to have to buy stuff if you can avoid it.  I would recommend that you try to remove some of the mica powder from the compartment first - can you perhaps use a tiny bit of sandpaper on the end of your little finger - or is it too small for that? 
It would be nice not to have to bake it again but Bake and Bond or any liquid clay would work perfectly.  Don't think the re-bake would affect the finish.  Varnish after the final bake. 

I don't know if Cosmic Shimmer needs sealing - Emma will know!

I couldn't get the sandpaper into the compartment and as I didn't really want to sand away the gold, I've instead used a tiny piece of chain, to secure the heart to the rest of the pendant.

It's my husband's birthday today, and we're going out for a meal - so I'm going to wear it tonight.

And here's the side view:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:53:14 PM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 05:01:44 PM »
An engineering problem successfully resolved  ;)

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »
Great save, Fran.  It's turned out really well.