EJR Beads

Author Topic: Can I Bake on a Ceramic tile?  (Read 11965 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Can I Bake on a Ceramic tile?
« on: July 13, 2014, 11:34:53 PM »
Hi,
I've been working on a few things on a ceramic tile - but some of the pieces are so thin that I cannot lift them from the tile without distorting them, so I wondered if I can just bake them still on the tile?
FranOnTheEdge

Sylvia

Re: Can I Bake on a Ceramic tile?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 12:11:56 AM »
Oh golly yes.  (I assume your tile will fit into your oven!)  I do it if I need to bake something to a perfectly flat side.  You will get a shiny surface where the clay has been in contact with the tile, but that sands away if you don't want that.
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 08:47:26 AM »
Hi Fran

You can bake on lots of things, so long as it is oven safe.  Sylvia is right about shiny bottoms.  Another time, if your piece is not already attached to the tile, a sheet of paper on the tile avoids shiny bottoms.

Ann from Croydon, Surrey

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:58:22 AM »
Thanks both,
I guess it would have been better if I'd cut a piece off a 'cookasheet' to fit on the tile, then I could more easily a) cook on it, or b) peal the sheet off the pendant...
Too late now.
Next time...
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 02:40:12 PM »
I bake stuff on tiles all the time. Sometimes i like the way it sticks to the tile because for flat items, it keeps them in shape and stops any warping. Just be sure to allow them to cool fully before removing from the tile

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 03:42:23 PM »
I'm not understanding the need for 'cookasheet'.  I work on a tile and just put the tile in the oven, or put the tile in an aluminum tin and cover it, or put a piece of parchment on a tile and put the piece on the parchment (if I don't want a shiny side on the clay) and bake.  The tile is very flay, the clay is easy to remove from the tile, and the tile dissipates the heat so you don't have 'hot spots' in the baking area of the oven.  And, they're cheap, easy to clean, with lots of sizes and shapes available in lots of places.  The clay items either don't stick to the tile, or if they do, just slide a blade between the item and the tile, and it pops right off.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Hot Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

Sylvia

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 03:55:34 PM »
Oh my land my EYES.  I so read that as 'it poops right off'.
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »
Oh my land my EYES.  I so read that as 'it poops right off'.

Self to self - "I must read waaaay more carefully!"

Hugs, Boni

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 06:21:14 PM »
I'm not understanding the need for 'cookasheet'.

Becase I don't want to cut up my crafting sheet - which is another form of baking sheet & heat resistant but I wouldn't mind cutting up the cookasheet - it was much cheaper you see.
That idea is no good for this current work though since I already did most of my working on the tile.
If I had worked on the sheet I could have peeled the sheet off the clay if trying to prise up the clay from the work surface was distorting my work - and it was. So much so that I had to ball the clay up and start again, luckily it was just a tiny cog I was making so not much spoilt doing that.
But if as you all say I can bake on the tile then no need to try and peel it up until it's baked and thus nice and stiff...

I work on a tile and just put the tile in the oven, or put the tile in an aluminum tin and cover it, or put a piece of parchment on a tile and put the piece on the parchment (if I don't want a shiny side on the clay) and bake.  The tile is very flay, the clay is easy to remove from the tile, and the tile dissipates the heat so you don't have 'hot spots' in the baking area of the oven.  And, they're cheap, easy to clean, with lots of sizes and shapes available in lots of places.  The clay items either don't stick to the tile, or if they do, just slide a blade between the item and the tile, and it pops right off.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Hot Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

Thanks Boni.
FranOnTheEdge

Karolina.S

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 07:13:10 PM »
If you take your tissue blade and kind of sweep it swiftly under your pice it will lift of without disortion , but keep the sharp edge tilded down to the table so you donīt cut into the clay.
If you donīt want to remove it just bake it as is.
You could use just ordinary paper to bake on to. A use a thicker paper when i donīt want shiny spots becuase that paper i can lift up without anything ubder to support it.
Timrå in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 02:19:13 AM »
If you take your tissue blade and kind of sweep it swiftly under your pice it will lift of without disortion , but keep the sharp edge tilded down to the table so you donīt cut into the clay.

Well, if I had a tissue blade, I would.
But I haven't so I shan't. Lol.

Ordered one.... still waiting.

If you donīt want to remove it just bake it as is.
You could use just ordinary paper to bake on to. A use a thicker paper when i donīt want shiny spots becuase that paper i can lift up without anything ubder to support it.

Eh?  I thought you only got shiny spots if you baked on something smooth, like glass or a baking sheet?
FranOnTheEdge

Karolina.S

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 06:18:09 AM »
Yes Fran, paper does not give shiny spots, didnīt say that either :) i just meant that there is no need to cut pieces of any special paper if you dont want to just use any paper.
Timrå in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »
Yes, and you can bake on stiff card instead of a tile if that's convenient.

The shininess from baking directly on tiles etc is quite often uneven and pitted-looking rather than a nice finished-looking surface, probably because the clay isn't completely adhered - there may be minute air bubbles underneath which weren't detected but will expand during baking.   

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »
Yes Fran, paper does not give shiny spots, didnīt say that either :) i just meant that there is no need to cut pieces of any special paper if you dont want to just use any paper.

Oh right, okay.  Thanks.
FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 09:10:53 PM »
Yes, and you can bake on stiff card instead of a tile if that's convenient.

The shininess from baking directly on tiles etc is quite often uneven and pitted-looking rather than a nice finished-looking surface, probably because the clay isn't completely adhered - there may be minute air bubbles underneath which weren't detected but will expand during baking.

Oh right.  Do you get less of that unevenness if you bake on say a heat resistant baking mat especially if you haven't moved the item off the sheet at all since you started working on it?
Or wouldn't that make any difference?
FranOnTheEdge