EJR Beads

Author Topic: Best Bead Roller  (Read 3331 times)

pinkmarshmallow71

Best Bead Roller
« on: July 10, 2014, 03:14:59 AM »
Hi all

I'm new to claying and have only been doing it 2 weeks and have so far been making polymer clay charms.

I'm looking to get a bead roller but looking at this forum there seems to be mixed reviews as I wanted one of those tri bead rollers.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good one as I want to experiment making my own beads.

I look forward to any advice  ;D

Thanks

Bonipie

• Boni
Re: Best Bead Roller
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:54:13 AM »
Hi, Pinkmarshmallow71,
I'm one who has posted about bead rollers.  If you are really looking for information, just read what many have written.  I have many, many bead rollers.  I have taken them travelling with the intent to learn how to use them.  I can't even remember making a good bead :(, one better than I have made without the bead roller.  Don't get me wrong, I was a mechanical engineer and love anything that resembles a tool :-*.  I even made a bench vice from a hunk of steel ;D.  But, bead rollers?  I finally figured out that it was more important learning how to make a bead than learning how to make a bead with a bead roller ;).  Saves you a bunch of money and frustration, and you're not limited to the size and style of the bead rollers available.

Just my humble opinion ::).

Welcome to the forum, lots of talented people here.  Where are you from?

Hugs, Boni  8) in Hot Muggy :P but Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

pinkmarshmallow71

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:42:48 AM »
Hi Bonipie

Thanks for your reply :). I'm in the UK and I'm not sure what made me take up this hobby but I'm enjoying it so far :). I hear what you are saying about the rollers.  I just wanted to try one as I won't be any good in making a DIY one!  I just want to try one and see how I get on.  I really appreciate your advice though and thank you for saying hi :D

Karolina.S

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 08:31:35 AM »
I think we all have bead rollers and probably no one uses them.
Though the new sculpey roller are nice and diffrent, easy to use , my 4 year old can use them with ease.
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
I have a box full of bead rollers, the one that I use the most and find easiest to use is the palms of my hands.  Both hands for big beads, or one palm and fingertips for smaller beads. 
With a bead roller it is so important to get the amount of clay right, just a little bit over, or under, results in distorted beads. 

Ann from Croydon, Surrey

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:26:17 PM »
I've found some customers LOVE their bead rollers, others are not so keen. So without trying you don't really know.

Personally I've not got on with them too well myself.

Fimo do a nice one though that won't break the bank and has a variety of shapes - their Basic bead roller.
http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=93_185

The important thing to remember is that they are not an ESSENTIAL. They are not the only way people make beads and it is perfectly fine to just not bother with them. Your hands will always be your primary bead making tool!

But they can allow for a few neat techniques such as creating nice marbled beads, even bicone beads etc and if you find you enjoy doing that, suddenly they could be your most important tool.

This is the thing with clay - we all have our list of essential tools that we cannot live without or things that we never use and should have saved our money. The problem is, that list will be vastly different for everyone!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Sylvia

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:09:21 PM »
Speaking as one whose bead roller was the first tool bought and almost immediately abandoned, IF someone gave me one of them which allow you to pierce the bead while it is still sitting in the roller I just might give it a try.  But possibly not. 
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 08:40:46 PM »
Sylvia, Emma has an Amaco roller that the bead can be pierced while still in the roller.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:51:14 PM »
I have a couple of rollers but always have difficulty measuring the exact amount of clay required so it takes me ages to make a set! 

I do like the ovals you can make, and the bicones are great but very hard to pierce without distortion  ::)

I rarely bother as making by hand is easy once you get the knack! Actually, l don't even care if my "round" beads are a bit off....it doesn't seem to matter......