EJR Beads

Author Topic: Magnifying glass for miniature?  (Read 2568 times)

Estelle

• www.fimogame.com
Magnifying glass for miniature?
« on: June 29, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »
Hello,

I work on miniatures and I have some troubles because my eyes cannot zoom enough. ;D
I thought about investing in a magnifying glass about x5 but I'm not sure if the idea is good and which type magnifying glass would be interesting (ex: the type used by watchmakers?).
Would anyone making miniature have advices for me?

Many thanks!

PS to the admin / moderator: I'm not sure I got the rules about EJR, I hope this post is ok. I don't ask for any specific item but for general advices. Some people may answer with images but please note I'm looking for the type of magnifying glass (hands free, eyeglasses, etc.). I hope that's fine!
FimoGame (aka Estelle) www.fimogame.com
Playing with polymer clay: colored figurines and YouTube channel!

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Magnifying glass for miniature?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »
The forum rules ask that people don't ask about specific suppliers, link to suppliers or ask questions about where to buy items. That is to prevent the forum being used by other businesses to either gain sales directly or bolster their google rankings.

But, asking questions in general about tools and equipment and asking for feedback, advice etc is perfectly fine!

I bought a magnifying desk lamp because I had the same problem.

However, in reality, the magnifying glass in the lamp head was all so heavy that the the lamp would constantly droop and I could never tighten it's knobs tight enough to be secure. It would always just slump down after a few minutes.

So my advice would be - pay attention to the weight of the item and be sure it will actually be functional and support itself

I suspect these types of lamps/magnifyers improve with spending more money on them. Mine was at the lowest end of the price range and it could be that if I had spent a bit more I would have found a better product.

If I were to buy one again - I would visit a craft shop and look at the different models and see their build quality. Even if I then came home and ordered online! But its a good idea to see it first I think

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:46:19 AM »
Well mine is called 'Heavy Duty Helping Hands with 90mm Magnifier' and looks like this:

It's quite old so the maker probably won't help you - oh no (after looking) it's Maplins.  Oh.  Might still be able to get them there then.

Sometimes you can have trouble - like Emma - tightening the... tightener thingies.
One thing that might help is keeping the screw threads greased with Vaseline or some other lubricant - another is if you have those dense foam rings that you get on dvd disc spindles or an old foam mouse mat you can cut up - put a piece of that between the screw and the column you are trying to tighten the screw to - like you do on a camera tripod attachment... okay like I do then. Lol!

It's the same principle as using a washer on a tap - when it wears away you need a new one - here if you haven't got one, it's hard to tighten things.

Oh and mine always wants to over-balance cos I keep the base of the stand away from my work (so I can get close enough) - you can counterbalance this with a heafty-ish stone on the base, and stop the magnifying glass from toppling over onto your work..

I wonder if you can get magnifiers on a headband???
FranOnTheEdge

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:01:28 PM »
You can get head magnifiers...I use one myself and I find that it is essential with my dodgy eyes for fine detail. Google is your friend as there are loads out there.

AfroByte

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 10:58:02 PM »
One of the German Discount supermarkets is selling them since last week. I got one for under a fiver.