EJR Beads

Author Topic: Making glass eyes?  (Read 3504 times)

Valvaren

Making glass eyes?
« on: May 01, 2014, 04:38:37 PM »
I wanted to try adding glass eyes to my pieces but they would have to be really small, like 2mm. I've seen other people use tiny eyes with their pieces so I know there is a way. I found some glass balls that are that size but what I'm wondering is if I end up painting them on the back wont the eye come out looking funny due to the glass itself being a ball and not flat on one side? I don't even know how I would cut something the size of 2mm in half :S

Any tips are greatly appreciated or even if you can point in the right direction of a product. Just looking for pieces of clear glass roughly 2mm that are flat on one side (unless a glass ball would work without warping what the paint looks like.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Making glass eyes?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »
Tricky one - also, how to even hold the balls still whilst you paint. You could put them into a layer of scrap clay to hold them, but you'd need a very steady hand

I think you just have to try it. Then, look and see if the image painted is distorted and HOW it has distorted. Then, maybe the next time you paint them, you can try to take that into account and tweak what you are painting slightly?

Alternatively, you could make polyclay eyes and then just use a drop of resin or Glossy Accents to give it that clear glossy layer

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 10:06:21 PM »
When I was making mohair teddy bears, I used 2mm glass eyes on the very small ones, but they were all black.  They had a wire that went into the head.  Seems they would work on polymer.  They have them on Ebay, and I think I have seen 'natural' looking 3mm eyes. 

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:32:13 PM »
I think Emma's suggestion of resin or Glossy Accents - l love that stuff! - is good.
My DH makes wooden jigdolls and recently he's been adding a drop of resin over their tiny painted eyes and they look really good. 

NickPagden

• DeviantArt! KirstenBerryCrafts
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »
I use 8mm glass eyes for my dragons, I just buy glass cabochons off ebay and paint on the backs of them with nail varnish, holds up nicely in the oven, I image you could do the same with 2mm ones, stick em in clay to paint them though as has been already suggested.