EJR Beads

Author Topic: What is your favourite technique?  (Read 10226 times)

oncejewellery

• I love beads :-)
    • Once Designer Jewellery
What is your favourite technique?
« on: March 30, 2011, 03:00:54 PM »
Mine is Mokume Gane :-)

A xxx

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: What is your favourite technique?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »
Good question Amanda!

Mokume Gane is a lovely technique. I love it, especially using layers of translucent clays and metal leaf in it.

Did you know, there is a push to call it Mokume Nendo now instead of Mokume Gane? Apparently the metal workers keep getting upset at us clayers using their terminology  ::)

But Mokume Nendo means "woodgrain clay" so probably suits what we are doing better anyway. Mokume Gane literally means "woodgrain metal"

So there's an interesting little factoid there, in case anyone sees the term Mokume Nendo and wonders about it.

Even though I don't get much time to do it these days, I still think that millefiori caning is my absolutely fave technique.

I just love that magical moment of cutting in to a reduced cane and seeing the pattern you have worked hard to create emerge.

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Fiona

• Illuminati
    • WINIBI
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 04:37:35 PM »
Interesting factoid Emma thanks for that.  Like you my favourite is millefiori caning.  I haven't even tried Mokume Gane yet (another thing on my to do list which seems to get longer every day instead of shorter!).  I'd love to see some things you've made with it Amanda.

Fiona

ladamemo

• bury treasure
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »
i love skinner blends, especially using effect clay with a plain clay, white shimmer clay blended with a pink or turquise is lovely!
carrie - nuts but not a nutter!!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »
Normally I love Skinner Blends, but have just spent all week writing an article on them for Making Jewellery magazine and once it is done, I don't want to see another SB for at least a month!

Emma

ladamemo

• bury treasure
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:18:33 PM »
lol, i'll be looking forward to seeing that in the magazine, i also like the mica shift technique, it's difficult to begin with but the effect is beautiful when finished!
carrie - nuts but not a nutter!!

averilpam

• Averilpam Design
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »
My favourite technique is usually the one I've most recently done!  I love cane making but have been exploring textures and have finally made a successful sheet of Mokume Gane (Nendo?) which I was really pleased with but which created a ton of waste clay in the making! I've not tried mica shift yet.

Oblibby

• Lisa
    • Oodles of Obliciousness
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 10:37:19 AM »
I've not tried mokume gane or mica shift.  I do like doing canes and skinner blends though.

Although it's not a technique as such (or maybe it is) I love using Emma's Hot Copper and Anodised glitter kits - the effects are fab!
Lisa xoxo
My Blog

mjbw

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
At the moment it's mica shift for me, although it's difficult to make people realise the surface is flat in pictures  ;)
Melanie.
"Bother" said the Borg, as they assimilated Pooh

Hazel

• Continuum Designs
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 01:57:27 PM »
Caning, definitely. It's odd, because I used to only cane because I thought every polyclayer *had* to learn how to do it to be a 'real' clayer (yeah...I was kind of an uptight newbie :D) but then one day I realised I actually loved everything about it, and it took over :)

Di

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 09:58:58 AM »
I can't pick a favourite - I swing wildly from one thing to another!

Di :)

polynana

• Nan xxx
    • Polynana Beads
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »
caning and mica shift at the moment. I have never been able to get the hang of mokume gane

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 02:31:08 AM »
I'm a bit of a mixed media kind of girl so for me it's anything with foil, inks, mica, etc. I love rubber stamping clay, and combining with resin - I think my absolute favourite technique at the moment is Tina Holden (Beadcomber)'s Batik and Shimmer technique which I've put my own spin on.

I tend not to cane much because I know I'll end up with chunk of cane that never gets used, I tend to make one project with the cane and then I want to move on to something new. I do enjoy caning though, and I've been known to dabble in mica shift and moku as well.

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 02:46:11 AM »
Recently I've had fun playing with both of the awesome extruded flower cane techniques - the one with the tube bead adaptor and the one with two dies and the rubber ring. Anyone else tried these? They are really cool!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 07:16:09 AM »
In respect to using two dies and the rubber gasket, I don't recommend people using their extruders in the way this technique suggests.

It puts enormous strain on the screw-threads where all the parts join together. (The parts no longer screw together fully, so all the pressure is going on half the amount of thread and it just shears off after a while). I have had several people trying to return extruders that they have broken by trying out this technique.

The rubber gasket in with extruders is just a spare cleaning gasket and not really meant to be used as a spacer.

So, as a seller of extruders I feel obliged to point this out  - (and for anyone who bought their extruder from me, try it if you will - but don't come running to me if you break your extruder  ;D )

I think it is great that clayers constantly try new things and adapt tools and stuff. Just sometimes some stuff I see people advising goes a bit beyond what the tools were originally designed to withstand.

Emma

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:44:03 AM by ejralph »