EJR Beads

Author Topic: Shipping question, not sure where it would go  (Read 1407 times)

Valvaren

Shipping question, not sure where it would go
« on: January 31, 2014, 04:46:42 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I have a customer who recently commissioned a large piece from me, much larger then i'm used to. Because of its size i've been fretting over shipping but now am posed with a problem that i'm unsure of.

I'll be shipping to the states and it has been really cold lately, i'm wondering if the piece is a risk in anyway of crack or breaking? Its a super sculpey base with colored premo clay layer on top. The customer is okay with waiting till warmer weather if it is recommended?

Thank you in advance!

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Shipping question, not sure where it would go
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:14:37 AM »
Um tricky one

Generally baked polymer clay tolerates the cold quite well in my experience. So normally I would say that with good packing it would probably be just fine (and by good packing, I do mean lots of bubble wrap / packing peanuts which are also insulating)

But it does seem that the cold temps out there are quite exceptional at the moment and ANY material can be quirky in extreme cold.

My own feeling is, wrapped well, it would probably be just fine. But if the customer is happy to wait until the really crazy weather spell has broken, it surely wouldn't hurt.

In any event, if it does end up travelling through the extreme cold, I would suggest for caution, have your customer bring the box into the warm and let it stabilize in temp for a while before opening it.

Hope you'll show us photos of this commission before you send it!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies