EJR Beads

Author Topic: Bangles  (Read 2524 times)

Di

Bangles
« on: April 11, 2011, 07:08:02 PM »
I have only recently had a go at making bangles so I am no expert - bear in mind my first three broke!
I am trying to make mine with clay alone but there are wood and metal blanks out there.

I started with a snake of well conditioned scrap clay - you can use an extruder but check there are no air bubbles and it will be quite thin if you do. I used a sheet of mokume gane to cover mine but you could use canes. A couple of mine that broke did so at the join so pay careful attention to the join  - I cut each end on a slant and scored the flat part with my blade and spent quite a while pushing them together and smoothing the join. I found sizing quite difficult. Most people seem to recommend baking the bangle round a form like a can or a jar but mine turned out too big for me but I have quite small wrists. I did bake one on a piece of paper without putting it round anything and it seems ok.
I baked my latest ones for an hour at 110c - the general view seems to be to bake them for longer than usual.

I am still experimenting and am sure there are others on this forum who have more experience than me. Perhaps others can add their own tips.

Di  :)

Fiona

• Illuminati
    • WINIBI
Re: Bangles
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »
Hi Di,

I've never made bangles but am interested in doing so, especially without having to use a blank of some sort so will enjoy seeing what others suggest in this thread.

One thing I did think of was the form to use to bake the bangle around.  As you mention some people use jars and cans but have you tried round cookie cutters?  I have a set of round cookie cutters which go from button to coaster size so thought they might be good to get different bangle sizes from children to adults.  You can see what fits over your wrist before you bake the bangle around it.

Just an idea.

Fiona

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Bangles
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »
Fantastic bangle ideas there Di, thank you so much for sharing

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more